No announcement yet.

4D Systems as an automotive Multi-Gauge display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing project! Good job. I think this would work in my boat. I'm having trouble downloading the code to view, however. I've joined forum and cleared my browsing history but the download hangs. I'm able to download other projects on the forum.
    Thanks

Comment

• James_4DSystems
      James_4DSystems commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Alaskan,
      Make sure you are logged in, go to where the download is,and then just refresh your browser, try F5 and if that doesn't work, try CTRL F5.

pm sent
    in need of some help!

Comment

Hi I was just wondering what the break out box was used for the little silver box outside the arduino?

Do you have a fritzing or build sheet of the wiring/components involved?
      I LOVE this project!

I was thinking of doing something similar using a circular 4d systems screen as a single gauge setup

Comment

The box is for the thermocouple amplifier I use to measure EGT. It was very unstable and have since moved on to another solution. I found this...

https://www.reveltronics.com/en/prod...er-type-k-0-5v

They output 0-5 volts and are extremely stable. Much less code involved. Just map the 0-5 volts to the published temperature range.

I am in the process of making a new version using the Gen4 7" display and I will have that soon and post it all here. I made a professional looking shield that you can just plug into the Mega and it breaks out everything in one elegant solution.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181209_220048.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	67197 Click image for larger version

Name:	20181209_220032.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	67198

Name:	20190223_184456.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	67202

I actually created another project using the round displays. They were really cool. Unfortunately 4D does not make them any more so I moved on to the 2.4" Gen 4 display for that project. I have about 6 of them left and I am making a custom digital dash for my friends corvette.

Name:	20181217_215754.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	67200 Click image for larger version

Name:	20181217_215809.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	67201

Originally posted by thomen View Post
        Hi I was just wondering what the break out box was used for the little silver box outside the arduino?

Do you have a fritzing or build sheet of the wiring/components involved?
        I LOVE this project!

I was thinking of doing something similar using a circular 4d systems screen as a single gauge setup
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks so much for the reply! Do you sell the shields? I love the idea of an all in one gauge solution like this! I'd love a better idea of the wiring schematics you used for the sensors etc

Have you thought of selling them? I'd happily pay for one for my Morris minor? I'm.doing EFI and turbo so would love to do simething like this.. I'm a software person so very new to the hardware side of it wiring and electronics wise!

Comment

With the round gauge pod idea were you going to use a single mega to run all of them or individual lower specds Arduinos or teensy's or the like?

Again I'd love to get in touch about wiring diagrams for something like this if at all possible?

Thanks for your time and a cool project!!

Comment

What I have published for this project regarding schematics is attached to the first post. look for the zip files at the bottom of the post. I will PM you with details about the shield.

Comment

I had a look in the zip file for v2 and couldn't find anything on schematics? Just rhe ino and 4d systems files?

Comment

I was also wondering with the temp sender's had you found something with a 1/8npt thread to go in most distribution blocks etc?

Comment

I had a look in the zip file for v2 and couldn't find anything on schematics? Just rhe ino and 4d systems files?
                    It is a jpeg file. It is there

Comment

I was also wondering with the temp sender's had you found something with a 1/8npt thread to go in most distribution blocks etc?
                      I used 1/4" swagelok fittings for this purpose. I had to drill them out a little bit but they are the only thing that work satisfactory.

https://www.swagelok.com/en/catalog/...art=SS-400-1-2

Comment

Thank you!

And just wondering lastly! what did you do for power supply to the mega?

Comment

12V source from the car

Comment

for arduino please limit the voltage to 9, it will start to overheat at 12 but will work but not recommended for extended periods, also the alternator spikes and voltages will push it further, use a dc-dc switching regulator for best performance, cooling factor, and reliability, other than that nice project

Comment

Hi guys.
                              im blown away by all of the enginuity in this thread.
                              i stumbled across it while searching for options for my classic ford.

i am totally lost however on how arduino works.

my question is, do any of you gents build and sell these as a kit ?
                              being a classic car I want to monitor a few things but dont want 6 gauges ruining the look.

id like to monitor coolant temp, trans oil temp, engine oil temp & pressure, possibly fuel pressure too.

Reading through this has made me feel electronically dumb ! Haha though I'm mechanically clever

so if anyone is able to perhaps help me id love that. Ill do some more reading and re reading tomorrow.

but to be able to buy something ready to install would be amazing. Something I can perhaps change colour settings/images on

thanks guys
                              sorry if this is a too-hard basket post
                              totally get it if it is

cheers
                              dean

Comment

Working...
                              X