X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sdc535
    replied
    HolyCrapItsFast,
    Very nice project, almost exactly what I'm looking for. I downloaded your v2 code and have been examining it along with the schematic and the workshop files, seems pretty straightforward, I'm in IT so I can do the code aspects of this. I'm going to use your project to monitor the engine and control other systems in my classic bus. Before I get too far, I think I'd like to start with your v3 code and the 7" display. Awaiting your v3 update.

Your shield, is it based on your schematic, or is it customizable? I'm going to be doing some different things.

I want to add audible alerts for high temp, low oil pressure, etc. I want to use existing 12v temperature and pressure sensors already on my engine, and keep my analog gauges for backup. Hoping I can do so without affecting their accuracy, but I will need some sort of voltage divider setup. I'm pondering how to do this without having the luxury of using the 5v source on the arduino for a reference voltage. Perhaps there's a chip or shield I can use for this purpose.

Leave a comment:

• Meat6111
    replied
    So I went over the information in the Version 2 zip package.
    This stuff is way beyond me.

Bummer really, because it's such a cool idea.

Leave a comment:

• HolyCrapItsFast
    replied
    This project is stand alone so there is no need for any ODBII stuff. The schematics I attached allow for interface between the sensors and the arduino and the attached code should get you going. I am not really willing to put a comprehensive package together for sale. It is just not very cost effective for me and to do it on an individual basis is to time consuming right now.

I do have a 3rd version in the works and I will update this thread in a little while. If you familiarize your self a little with basic programming of an Arduino and use of the 4D Workshop software, you should be able to use any of the 4D intelligent displays and make minor adjustments to my existing code and create your own display based off mine. It really is not that hard you just need to commit some time.

Originally posted by Meat6111 View Post
    Well this may make things easier, its a 1978 ford which is long before canbus
    Id assume its just a matter of using a control centre to accept the inputs of the sensors for items id like to monitor.
    perhaps include thermostatic on/off for electric water pump and fans

Leave a comment:

• Meat6111
    replied
    Well this may make things easier, its a 1978 ford which is long before canbus
    Id assume its just a matter of using a control centre to accept the inputs of the sensors for items id like to monitor.
    perhaps include thermostatic on/off for electric water pump and fans

Leave a comment:

• tonton81
    replied
    CAN traffic is not standard, the data changes per vehicle per year, most of the reverse engineering is on the user to do to figure out what ID’s contain which traffic. GM and FORD codes can be found online but everything else is mostly for user to reverse, it’s not that hard but time consuming...

So unless the device someone makes requests ECU data in a polling fashion for known standard PIDs (OBD) over CAN, there is no universal CAN decoder for different make vehicles or years.

Leave a comment:

• Meat6111
    replied
    Hi guys.
    im blown away by all of the enginuity in this thread.
    i stumbled across it while searching for options for my classic ford.

i am totally lost however on how arduino works.

my question is, do any of you gents build and sell these as a kit ?
    being a classic car I want to monitor a few things but dont want 6 gauges ruining the look.

id like to monitor coolant temp, trans oil temp, engine oil temp & pressure, possibly fuel pressure too.

Reading through this has made me feel electronically dumb ! Haha though I'm mechanically clever

so if anyone is able to perhaps help me id love that. Ill do some more reading and re reading tomorrow.

but to be able to buy something ready to install would be amazing. Something I can perhaps change colour settings/images on

thanks guys
    sorry if this is a too-hard basket post
    totally get it if it is

cheers
    dean

Leave a comment:

• tonton81
    replied
    for arduino please limit the voltage to 9, it will start to overheat at 12 but will work but not recommended for extended periods, also the alternator spikes and voltages will push it further, use a dc-dc switching regulator for best performance, cooling factor, and reliability, other than that nice project

Leave a comment:

• HolyCrapItsFast
    replied
    12V source from the car

Leave a comment:

• thomen
    replied
    Thank you!

And just wondering lastly! what did you do for power supply to the mega?

Leave a comment:

• HolyCrapItsFast
    replied
    Originally posted by thomen View Post
    I was also wondering with the temp sender's had you found something with a 1/8npt thread to go in most distribution blocks etc?
    I used 1/4" swagelok fittings for this purpose. I had to drill them out a little bit but they are the only thing that work satisfactory.

https://www.swagelok.com/en/catalog/...art=SS-400-1-2

Leave a comment:

• HolyCrapItsFast
    replied
    Originally posted by thomen View Post
    I had a look in the zip file for v2 and couldn't find anything on schematics? Just rhe ino and 4d systems files?
    It is a jpeg file. It is there

Leave a comment:

• thomen
    replied
    I was also wondering with the temp sender's had you found something with a 1/8npt thread to go in most distribution blocks etc?

Leave a comment:

• thomen
    replied
    I had a look in the zip file for v2 and couldn't find anything on schematics? Just rhe ino and 4d systems files?

Leave a comment:

• HolyCrapItsFast
    replied
    What I have published for this project regarding schematics is attached to the first post. look for the zip files at the bottom of the post. I will PM you with details about the shield.

Leave a comment:

• thomen
    replied
    With the round gauge pod idea were you going to use a single mega to run all of them or individual lower specds Arduinos or teensy's or the like?

Again I'd love to get in touch about wiring diagrams for something like this if at all possible?

Thanks for your time and a cool project!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X