Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uLCD-144-G2 Battery

Good morning,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I have always been intrigued with 4D's products but never really got myself to purchase one due to never having a real necessity. However, recently I was working on a project that called for a small stand alone display to fit inside of a cramped display and I knew exactly where to go. So I ordered the uLCD-144-G2 and now must suffer the shipping time. To take my mind off of the waiting time, I have decided to set up everything else so that I can hit the ground running when it arrives. Everything is set up and I realized that the cramped space is going to be a lot more cramped than I originally thought. I will be able to fit the screen, but the battery powering it will have to be just as small as the screen. Before trial and erroring my way through the better part of a month, I thought I would come to the experts.

I can rework the project at a later date and input a recharging mechanism that can recharge while still inside the project. For now I just want to find the simplist way to power it in the least amount of space available. If you need any more information, please let me know. Thank you.

V/R

theonegoku

I'd be looking at flat lithium packs similar to what is used in an iPhone, etc. I've done some custom lightsaber builds that use lithium packs and to ensure that the battery won't overcharge, I've also gotten the following: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/PC...tery-P481.aspx. I'm certainly not saying that what is shown on that page will work for your project, just showing you something that can give you ideas...

Rogi

Comment

That actually looks really cool, and I could see how that would fit a lightsaber build perfectly. I am weighing some different options, but for this solution, would a 3.7 suffice? or would I need a booster? I was looking at this: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-...arger/overview so that I could plug in the batter, and get it up to 5V in order to sufficiently power the device. Also, since I am trying to save room, is it really as simple as plugging the batter PCB into the +5V and GND on the back and just turning it on? It seems a little too easy. Thank you again for your quick reply.

V/R

theonegoku

Comment

A few people have reported running the uLCD-144-G2 from 3.3v in the past. The immediately noticeable issue will be that the display will be dimmer than normal.

Are you going to use a uSD card? This will fail if the battery voltage drops below around about 3.45v (The uSD needs 3.3v the regulator roughly has a 150mv dropout voltage)

Hope that helps
        Mark

Comment

Thank you for the reply. I will need a very bright display for the project and you are correct about the batty voltage dropping as the battery dies, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the powerbooster just to ensure I get the power. If all goes well, I will post the results and how long the batter was able to maintain a constant display on the uLCD. Everything is on it's way, so now I just have to endure the hardest part of waiting. :S

V/R

theonegoku

Comment

Working...
          X