Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compatibility with Beaglebone Black/UDOO/Wandboard

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has tried to connect a 4DGL Display module to other mini computers similar to Raspberry.

Could the 4D Serial Pi Adaptor be used for Beaglebone Black,UDOO or Wandboard?

Thanks

Hello Mastoras

I am unsure what you are trying to achieve exactly. The 4D Serial Pi Adaptor is designed to plug directly on to the Pi and all the signals pass through so they are still accessible to the user. It then breaks out 5V, GND, TX and RX from that header so you can easily plug on the 5 way cable to a 4D Systems display module.

There are not smarts on the module, it is just an adaptor.

If you want to use a 4D module with a Beaglebone, UDOO or Wandboard, you will need to just use jumper wires from the various pins. If you really wanted you could plug the jumper wires into a 4D Serial Pi Adaptor, but I dont see why you would want to do that.

4D Systems Display Modules can talk to virtually any host with a serial port (TTL 3.3V or 5V directly, RS232 via a MAX232 or similar), so I don't see any problem with connecting them up to one of these mini computers. The programming on the mini computer however is up to you. We offer documentation to show what is required for the various Environments the modules can be programmed in, outlining the protocols and commands etc.

Hopefully this answers your question

Looking at the UDOO quickly, it looks to have Arduino style headers, so you could use a 4D Arduino Adaptor and plug that on directly.

The Beaglebone Black we have LCD CAPES for already, however if you want to use a 4D Intelligent Display Module then you will just have to wire directly, as per the above.

Regards
    James

Comment

Hi James,

Sorry, I'm pretty new to the hardware world. Basically I want to forward what to show to the display from the computer and it seems I will go with the UDOO. Documentation is great, I just want to get the hardware connectivity.

In the case of UDOO [PDF], if I understand correctly, it has UART that is exposed with the (mini-)USB, so I could use that to communicate with the display.

UDOO -> usb port -> USB-to-TTL cable ->Display module

Will that work? Although, I was hoping to use your 5-way jumper cable to keep things slim and tidy.

Also, in case it makes any difference, I'm going for the uTOLED 20 G2.

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Comment

From that block diagram it looks like the USB mini_B is at RS232 levels which would destroy the display.

The J17 serial looks to be more TTL level (which is what is required). Although it's still a bit hard to be exactly sure.
        Mark

Comment

Hi Mastoras

Since the UDOO has Arduino Headers, just get the display you want in the -AR version, such as the uLCD-32PTU-AR, which then comes with the Arduino Adaptor, and plug that directly on top of the UDOO and you should be in business.

The UDOO pinout guide: http://udoo.org/download/files/pinout/Udoo_pinout_diagram.pdf

T
          hat suggests that TX0 and RX0 are in the same position as on a standard arduino, so that should enable you to use the 4D Arduino Adaptor.

But as I say, it will be up to you to do the coding on the UDOO.

Hopefully you will figure it out without much problems.

Looks also like the UDOO has a USB Host (standard USB Port), so in theory you could do this: "UDOO -> usb port -> USB-to-TTL cable ->Display module" using a 4D Programming Cable, but as to how that is accessed in code exactly I have no idea sorry. Probably easier to go with the above method and code directly to a hardware serial port on the Arduino Headers.

Regarding the uTOLED-20-G2, this product has sadly been made EOL due to glass supply, its in the News section of the 4D Website. If you can find a distributor with stock, then great, but I dont believe the 4D Website shop has any in stock.

Regards
          James

Comment

Thanks Mark & James for the answers!

I want to make a some-kind of HUD, so uTOLED-20-G2 is the only option. Thankfully I have found some distributors that still have stock.

UDOO is compatible with Arduino Due's shields so using the 4D Arduino Adaptor is probably a viable option. However I will probably add more sensors on the Arduino part, so I am trying to see if it's possible to off-load anything to the "computer" part of UDOO.

The different levels affect the "UDOO -> usb port -> USB-to-TTL cable ->Display module" plan or only if I use the mini-usb?

Thanks!

Update:
            My luck is the worst... the UDOO is only compatible with 3.3V Arduino Shields [1]

Comment

Mark

Comment

Working...
              X