Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uTOLED20-G2: 'Device not responding' message

Hi

I'm working on a HUD system for a project and got a uTOLED20-G2 from a previous team. We managed to get the display working and displaying a test image, but a few days later workshop tells me the device is not responding. Resetting the display only brings up the test image that was last loaded.

I understand that the G2 is being discontinued, but for the moment, it's the best fit for our project and we'd really like to get it working again. Any help would be appreciated.

Details:
    > Display - uTOLED20-G2
    > Workshop - Most recent version
    > Connection - uUSB-PA5 connector

Have you got the correct com port selected?

Is the cable damaged in any way?

What programmer are you using? Are the drivers installed?

If the display displays the test image that would seem to indicate that the display is fine and that the issue is with the programmer and/or cable.
    Mark

Comment

I've double checked the com port.

I've checked the cables and verified that they are working properly by connect the tx to rx and seeing it mirror the console commands.

I used visi to write the program. The test program doesn't use any fancy graphics, just primitive shapes.

After loading the test program, I took some pictures then powered everything down, saved, and quit. The next time I loaded up workshop we just made some changes to the previously saved program and tried to load, but it stopped working.

I updated the drivers and tried to update the firmware, but even the PmmC loader can't connect.

Comment

That, sort of, leaves the reset line.

When you click on the traffic light in the comms tab does the display reset? Can you see the reset pulse with a scope?
        Mark

Comment

When I click the traffic light, the display goes blank, then draws my test image. It doesn't go through the splash screen from before I loaded the test program.

I can hook it up to a scope, but that will have to wait until I'm back in the lab tomorrow.

And thank you for walking me through this. I appreciate the help.

Comment

So that means reset is getting to the display.

I guess that means TX and/or RX are not getting to the Goldelox chip, somewhere between the connector and the chip.

Maybe check the connector pins are connected and that R11 and 12 are 68 ohms.

Hmm, also check that the cable is connected to the header correctly (i.e. correct side... The outside 5 pins, not the inside)
            Mark

Comment

Okay so I made a mistake in the previous post. Earlier, I didn't have the display with me so I answered from memory.

Now that I have it in front of me I can see that when I click on the traffic light, nothing happens on the display, but there is a pulse on the scope from the reset line. Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

Hmm, also check that the cable is connected to the header correctly (i.e. correct side... The outside 5 pins, not the inside)
                (If you have it connected in the wrong place it's possible to get it to work as you have described, perhaps post a photo)
                Mark

Comment

Sorry for the delayed response. I've attached a photo of my set up.

Could the problem be with the update to workshop4? I remember updating it around the time the display stopped responding, but I can't recall if that was before or after getting it to work the first time.

Is it possible that the new version no longer supports the display?

Comment

Is it possible that the new version no longer supports the display?
                    No, it's still there. Also the bit that would have to not be working is common to all displays.

Maybe check the connector pins are connected and that R11 and 12 are 68 ohms.
                    Did you do this? Also check R10 (also 68 ohms).

R10 (reset line) should go low for a short period when you click on the traffic light.

R11 (RX) should see some activity shortly after the reset line goes high again.

R12 (TX) should see some activity shortly after the R11 sees some activity.
                    Mark

Comment

I've checked the resistors and they're the right values.

Both R11 & R12 exhibit the behavior you describe, but R10 (reset) doesn't show any activity on a digital probe.

I tried manually shorting reset to GND as some others on the forum have tried and the traffic light goes blue and displays the model number. But when I try to download it seems like it's gonna work then says: "Timed out waiting for flash erasure"

Comment

Hmm... You said

but there is a pulse on the scope from the reset line.
                        Now you are saying
                        but R10 (reset) doesn't show any activity on a digital probe.
                        Between those two points lies your problem
                        Mark

Comment

Yeah, sorry about the confusion. The first time through was on an analogue probe and the second was with a digital one.

I think we're just gonna go with plan B. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Plan B?

Looks like the PA5 is faulty, especially as you seem to be able to reset the display by pulling reset low.
                            Mark

Comment

Working...
                            X