Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uLCD-43PT, How to upload VisiGenie Project to the uLCD

Hey Everybody,

The answer to my questions have to be simple as I must be doing something grossly wrong. I cannot seem to make the objects in in the 4D Systems Workshop (my project) properly upload and display it on the actual uLCD-43PT. I have the USB-to-Serial bridge and everything is connected and communicating.

1. Do I need a u-SD card to upload a project to my new uLCD-43PT? I have one plugged in. Just did not understand whether or not this was necessary during development? I suppose that when I eventually disconnect the uLCD-43PT from my computer, I will have to save the project to the u-SD card.
    2. When I click on Compile and then Download in Visi, shouldn't this transfer the project directly to the uLCD-43PT?(RAM, FLASH, or u-SD??)
    3. Or when I click on Build/Copy/Load in VisiGenie, shouldn't this transfer the project directly to the uLCD-43PT? (RAM, FLASH, or u-SD??)

TIA,
    Neal

TIA,

Neal

Essentially all the graphics is on the uSD card. This needs to be removed from the PC after the files are copied to it and then inserted in the display.

The connection to the display is 'only' a serial cable, it is used to transfer the program to the display.

Since a serial cable can only transfer Kbytes/sec the uSD needs to be placed in the PC so that the graphics can be transferred at Mbytes/sec speed
    Mark

Comment

Dear ESPsupport,

But while I am developing the project, shouldn't I be able to transfer the project from the PC to the uLCD over the serial cable in RAM or FLASH so that I can see the objects on the actual LCD before I save it to the u-SD card?

--Neal
      TIA,

Neal

Comment

Currently you can't

As I said before it would be way too slow except for the smallest of projects.
        Mark

Comment

So every time I want to view the project on the actual uLCD, I need to save the project to the u-SD card on my PC and then insert it into the u-SD slot on the uLCD?

Under the PROJECT tab, there is an area to the left showing DESTINATION. My choices are Run RAM, Run Flash, and uSD. Please explain when I use RAM, FLASH, and uSD. I assume the uSD means that I will save the project to the uSD card that is plugged into my PC.
          TIA,

Neal

Comment

Hi Neal,

The application note

ViSi-Genie Getting Started - First Project for Picaso Display Modules
            http://www.4dsystems.com.au/appnote/4D-AN-00001/

explains the basics of downloading or uploading a project to the target display module. Here the destination is "Run Flash".

It can be perceived that a Workshop project has two parts - the program and the graphics. The program will run on either the flash memory or RAM of the display module, and it will access the graphics on the uSD card if necessary.

When the "build copy/load" button is pressed, Workshop builds or generates the supporting files which contain the graphics and information about it and copies these files to the uSD card always. Graphics or supporting files are usually relatively large in size. Hence, the uSD card must be mounted to the PC so that the transfer is faster. Later, the uSD card will be unmounted from the PC and will be mounted to the display module.

The 4DGL source code (hidden from the user in the ViSi-Genie environment) is compiled and the resulting 'program' is uploaded to any of the following destinations (depending on which is selected in the Destination tab of the project menu):
            1. RAM (Run RAM)
            2. Flash memory (Run Flash)
            3. uSD card

The Picaso processor has 14KB of flash memory and 14KB of RAM.

RAM vs Flash:

The application note

General Downloading an Application Program to FLASH or RAM
            http://www.4dsystems.com.au/appnote/4D-AN-00039/

says:

...When developing an application, it is best to download the firmware straight
            to RAM. This will be much quicker and changes can be updated more
            promptly. However, it should be noted that if the device is unplugged after
            programming to RAM, then the application will be lost when the device is
            powered up again. If the application is to be retained, then the firmware
            must be downloaded to FLASH...

...A minor note to mention is that a FLASH device typically has a life cycle time.
            What this means, is that the FLASH device can only be written to a finite
            number of times. This figure extends beyond tens of thousands of times and
            should not be considered a concern...

Besides RAM and flash memory, the program can also be placed on the uSD card. In this case, it is a child program which can be called by a parent program running on the flash memory or RAM of the display module. So, if the destination is set to "uSD", Workshop copies the 'program' file to the uSD card which is mounted to the PC. You then unmount the uSD card from the PC and plug it to the display module. The last step is to load the parent program (which will call the child program from the uSD card) to the display module. Go to the Tools menu and click on the icon "Boot uSD".

Hope this helps. I will look into revising the above application notes if they are not clear enough to you?

Regards.
            Doff

Comment

Hi Doff,

Very interesting post.

I currently try to run my VISI-GENIE code from the µSD. I think the idea handy. It’d prevent me from wiring and unwiring my µLCD-70DT at each update.

I can’t make it work though. Can you help me with this, please?

First, I connect my µLCD-70DT to WORKSHOP and I press TOOL-Boot µSD. It compiles and downloads the ‘parent program’ successfully. Then, I insert the µSD in my computer and press the PROJECT-DESTINATION-µSD button. Finally, I press the HOME-BUILD COPY/LOAD button. WORKSHOP compiles my VISI-GENIE program and copies files on the µSD : RunFlash.4xe + .gci + .dat

I insert the µSD in my µLCD-70DT, I power it. Screen says : DRIVE NOT MOUNTED

By the way, everything works with the ‘Run Flash’ destination.

Am I missing something? Is there an application note for running from µSD?

NOTE : when I test my µSD, the screen sees the media but says either ‘Mount failed, probably not formatted’ (when empty) or ‘no valid MBR or partition’ (when code on it). I have always had these messages without consequences so far, despite a correct RMPET config. Has it any relation?

Regards

Comment

What brand of uSD card are you using?
                Mark

Comment

µSD SAMSUNG 2Go

Comment

Is it just that the 'drive not mounted' messages flashes by, or is it there permanently?

Can you use File, zip project and email it to mark at 4dsystems dot com dot ah?

Can you try a different brand of uSD card?
                    Mark

Comment

Hi Mark,

About your question:
                      ‘drive not mounted’ flashes by.

As you advised, I tried with another brand of µSD (Kingston 2Go) and everything works!
                      I questioned myself and I started thinking that I did something wrong previously. So, I started from scratch with the µSD SAMSUNG 2Go: partitioning, formatting, and uploading on µSD and on Touchscreen. .. still I doesn’t work when run from µSD.

When I test the µSD with WORKSHOP:
                      • Kingston 2Go : "Partition FAT16 Mount Successful"
                      • SAMSUNG 2Go : "Not valid MBR or Partition"

Although the SAMSUNG works when run from Flash.

Note: My system is Win7 64bit, WORKSHOP 4.2.0.15. When I prepare a µSD for my Visi-genie projects, I do it according to Application Note: 4D-AN-P1001 (from 15th Dec 2012).

Thank you for the great support. If you find a solution for SAMSUNG, let me know, I have 15x…

Gil

Comment

Can you run the uSD tester against the Samsung and post the results?

Also examine it closely and write down everything that is written on it.

I'll try and locate one locally for testing. I suspect it has some 'odd' initialization requirements.
                        Mark

Comment

Hi Mark,

I included the pics of the screen when µSD tested + µSD card pics for ref.
                          Attached Files

Comment

one more pic : I get this message when the SD is loaded with the visigenie code.

I hope this helps
                            Attached Files

Comment

Sorry, I have a couple of 'blue writing' 4GB Samsung cards and they work with the run from uSD option. (They are quirky as they take 2 mount attempts)

The smallest I can source locally are 8GB 'blue shadow' cards, these will be a different technology to the 2GB cards (SDHC vs SD, the 4GB above are also SDHC), so there's no real point in trying them.
                              Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X