Widget documentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Widget documentation

Hello - first post here and naturally looking for a little help.

I am prototyping a system using the uLCD-32TPU and so far have been very impressed. If this keeps up either this module or the uLCD-43 will make it into the product design.

I am working in the ViSi environment and have looked through much of the documentation, including the ViSi user guide, the 4DGL programming reference, and the detailed PICASO function reference. What I am struggling with, though, is finding documentation on the structure and use of the widgets. So far all I have learned about them comes from the examples, which while good and very helpful, leave me wondering what I am missing. Let me give an example:

Using the LED Digits widget, I see from one of the example projects that there is a function named ledDigitsDisplay that I can include and use to update the value the widget displays. That is all well and good, but if not for the example project, how would I have known of the existence of this library function, let alone how to update the value displayed?

Similarly, with widgets like the Meter, where do I find what fields I should set and what values I should give through the img_SetWord function?

Perhaps I am missing something simple, but I will certainly appreciate it if somebody could point me toward where I can find more information on how to use the widgets programmatically.

Thanks,

Mitchell

The ViSi user guide is a bit light on for true 'new users', as it was written for new users to ViSi, rather than 4DGL.

These users would have been familiar with 4DGL and the creation and use of image controls, by virtue of Graphics Composer and the learning curve associated with building images with that.

Of course you have come via a different path and so quite a bit probably appears missing to you.

Basically all widgets are graphically 'built up' by using images and/or videos in image controls. The code to manipulate them is included / demonstrated in the sample, of which there is at least one for each widget.

So a meter is basically an entry in an image control that is a video, each frame is a picture of the meter in the corresponding position. Thus, to display the meter at position 0 you would set the frame number to 0 and 'show' it.

There are a few other things that can be set by image_SetWord, as you can see in the programming reference, but really most of the time you will only be using the IMAGE_INDEX to set the frame.

The Genie Reference might help a bit as it describes the widgets in a bit more detail, but mostly for ViSi users the supplied samples are your bible.
    Mark

Comment

Thanks, Mark, that was helpful.

Can I infer from your post that I should learn to use the Graphics Composer, particularly if I need to build my own widgets? I see some discussion of this tool in the Legacy section of the Forum, but the only other information I've found is mention in a couple of the Ap Notes or FAQ's.

Is there a way to load and look at the structure of the existing widgets using the Graphics Composer tool?

Is there a user guide, ap note or tutorials available for the Graphics Composer tool?

Thanks again,,

Mitchell

Comment

I don't really think playing with Graphics composer(GC) will help much, however, a quick read of the user guide might add a bit of an insight. That can be found here http://old.4dsystems.com.au/prod.php?id=50

The internal structure of the GCI files is documented here http://4d.websitetoolbox.com/post/graphics-composer-and-the-display-modules-5438283

A little utility to view the images within a GCI can be found here http://www.4dsystems.com.au/downloads/Software/GCI2BMP/GCI2BMP.zip
        Mark

Comment

Is there a user guide, ap note or tutorials available for the Graphics Composer tool?
          Another document for the Graphics Composer tool:

http://www.4dsystems.com.au/downloads/Application-Notes/4D-AN-P2004_Designer_Displaying_an_Image_in_4DGL_REV1.0.pdf
          Doff

Comment

Working...
          X