Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Workshop4: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect opening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workshop4: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect opening

I thought I would post this error message and resolution so that fellow sleep-deprived hackers didn't have to suffer like I did.

I was working over a period of days, trying to get various microSD cards to work. I would run RMPet to partition and format each microSD card to FAT 16, 2 GB. Then I would run the "uSD Tester" function and receive the following error.

Workshop4
    The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect opening

Since I was new to the uSD Tester function and Workshop4, I mistakenly assumed the uSD Tester function was testing the microSD card in my laptop SD slot (rather than the display's slot) and that it meant my microSD card was not formatted correctly. I also saw the long string of forum messages on the "non SPI uSD cards", and so tried formatting several microSD cards, mistakenly thinking that was the problem.

The actual problem was that my graphic display module was not correctly attached and even if it was, it was not properly initialized.

Solution:
    1. Reboot your computer. (Simply re-plugging the display in did not work for me.)
    2. ***Plug in the cable from the graphics display to the computer.****
    3. Start Workshop4.
    4. Start or load a project.
    5. Click the Comms tab and ensure that you've selected a port for your display.
    6. Click on the Tools tab and run "uSD Tester".

Thanks Lemondrop, we will change the RMPet app note to include information about the uSD tester.

The uSD tester tool accesses low level registers on the uSD card. You can't 'get at' these registers from Windows, so that is one of the reasons the program runs on the display.

The other is so that the tool can test the SPI 'usability' of the card. Most 'card readers' on computers use SD mode to access the cards, so it is rather hard to get Windows to test the card's SPI capability
    Mark

Comment

Working...
    X