Trying to Partition microSDHC Card

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to Partition microSDHC Card

Today, I purchased a SanDisk 4GB microSDHC card. It comes from SanDisk already formatted as FAT32.

I am trying to re-partition the card and format it as FAT16 but nothing I have tried is working.

First, I insert the card into the SD slot on my PC, which is running Windows 7 Professional - 64 bit. Then I start up Workshop 4. I then go to the Tools tab and click on RMPet. When the RMPet window opens, it displays the partition table parameters for my PC's two NTFS formatted solid state disk drive partitions. The physical drive that is displayed is 0 R/O. Then I select the SD card which appears as 1 R/W in the physical drive window. As soon as I select 1 R/W RMPet brings up a dialog box that says "The parameter is incorrect" along with an Okay button. I then click Okay to close the dialog box.

I know that RMPet is seeing the SD card because it reports the following information at the top of the window: Capacity: 3.69GB (3,965,190,144 Bytes) 7,744,512 Sectors

However, the partition table still shows the two NTFS partitions with their LBA Sectors and Start and End parameters (Cylinder, Sector and Head parameters). It also shows "Number of Partitions 2" and "Bootable Partition 1" at the bottom of the screen.

At this point, I select "%age to allocate to first partition 50" in accordance with App Note P1001. Then I click the "Create/Alter Partition Table" button. RMPet responds with "Really Create/Alter Partition?" in a confirmation dialog box and when I click "Yes" I receive "Write Failed".

What do I need to do to get this micro-SDHC card repartitioned and formatted to FAT16?

Thanks,

Charlie

However, the partition table still shows the two NTFS partitions with their LBA Sectors and Start and End parameters (Cylinder, Sector and Head parameters). It also shows "Number of Partitions 2" and "Bootable Partition 1" at the bottom of the screen.
    That would seem to indicate you have the wrong drive selected... Do you have a removable hard drive plugged in and selected by any chance?

In Win 7 you can format a 4GB drive as FAT, just change the format 'File system' from FAT32 to FAT
    Mark

Comment

Hi Mark,

I only have one hard drive installed on my Windows system. It is a 128GB solid state disk drive with two partitions, a C: partition for the Windows OS and a D: partition which is a factory installed recovery partition. My system is a Dell E6520 with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. No other disk drives are plugged in. If I go into the Computer Management system and select Disk Management, I see the main disk drive (Disk 0) with its two partitions and I see Disk 1 with one partition of 3.69GB FAT32.

As far as trying to format the uSD card using Windows 7 formatting tools, I can select "FAT" instead of "FAT32" and that gives me two options for the Allocation Unit Size: Default and 64K. Is it safe to assume that Default means 32K?

So, are you telling me to not worry about re-partitioning my uSD card and to simply re-format it using Windows 7 instead of using RMPet?

Comment

You can simply reformat a 4GB drive, you really only need RMPET for larger than 4GB.

For 4GB the default is 64kb (since FAT 16 means 16 bit cluster entries in the FAT, the cluster size must be 64K for FAT16 to be able to address 4GB)
        Mark

Comment

Working...
        X