SOMO-II suddenly overheating

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOMO-II suddenly overheating

I've built a project that uses a SOMO-II for sound. I finished the project about 2 weeks ago and everything was working fine, but this morning I noticed that the sounds files stopped playing after a few seconds and the SOMO-II CPU is overheating. It never did this before. It's getting 5V directly from a LiPo charge/boost converter. I have not not changed any wiring and already examined all the components for shorts or extraneous solder or metal. Any suggestions?

Which chip are you calling the CPU, the little one or the big one?

Are you sure the charge/boost converter is no exceeding 5v?

Pretty much all you can do is replace the SOMO, but it sure would help to figure out why it is overheating

Mark

Comment

The big one. I've also noticed that when I tried to change its power source to the 3.3V pin of my Teensy 3.1, the SOMO seems to draw so much power that the Teensy stops working, but resumes when I disconnect the SOMO again. The first thing I did when this started was to check the output of the charge/boost converter. It's only been installed for 10 days and think it should last a bit longer than that, for the price. I have a request in to Mouser for a replacement. We'll see what happens.

Thanks, Ray

Comment

Mouser replaced the defective SOMO-II unit. No hassle at all. I've already received it and put it into the application. Great company.

Comment

Working...
        X