Decimal point with custom digits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decimal point with custom digits

I'm experimenting with custom digits and it looks really nice so far, but it would be really useful if you could somehow incorporate the ability to display a decimal point like you have for led digits. Also allowing no leading zero would be helpful also.

Can this be done or can you suggest a workaround?

Leading blanks can be supported if 'checked' in the enhancements section of the project tab.

To get a decimal in custom digits really means having two side by side and placing a static '.' in between them
    Mark

Comment

• alexBussiere
      alexBussiere commented
      Editing a comment
      Is there a possibility of Custom Digits supporting decimal places in future updates? Another option would be to have the Digits have an option to not have a border? The border makes legibility of the digits when they are small nearly impossible to read.

• ESPsupport
      ESPsupport commented
      Editing a comment
      Adding decimals would completely break any current programs using custom digits. Why not place two custom digits side by side with a image of a decimal in between them and the appropriate settings and manipulations

• HolyCrapItsFast
      HolyCrapItsFast commented
      Editing a comment
      It is a lot of work for the end user to do that. As a user, I would understand that it would break previous programs but I would be okay with that if it was properly documented. You have those that know what they are doing and others willing to learn how to do it, and then you have those that are looking for a fast and easy solution. There is nothing wrong with either.

Look at it from a marketing point of view and not a technical one. People are lazy and the easier and more effective you make your product, the more people you will have wanting it. You could even offer the feature in your pro version only. If I was to do enough projects, that would be a feature worth paying for.

Thank you... I will play around with this and see how it goes

Comment

Okay I figured out what to do regarding the decimal. In VisiGenie I created two Custom Digit objects to display the entire number. One object handles the digit to the right of the decimal and another object handles the digits to the left of the decimal and the decimal itself is a static primitive. In the host I simply split the input number with the following code using the modulo and divide math functions.

Efficiency = (Efficiency * 10);

rightOfDecimal = (Efficiency%10);
      leftOfDecimal = (Efficiency / 10);

Now I am having a hard time figuring out the leading blank. I can't find instruction on how to create a bitmap with this enhancement and it is cutting off part of the digit and it never displays a blank or the number properly. I have tried different bitmaps, one with the blank in the beginning, one with the blank at the end and one with the original bitmap with no blank. What am I doing wrong?

attached is an example with the original bitmap and the enhancements both active and not active.

Normal

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	47845

Enhancements active.

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	47846
      Attached Files

Comment

Have a look at the note at the start of the Picaso ViSi example 'NegDigits'

There is also an App note in the works, but the above is the reference I am aware of
        Mark

Comment

Thanks for your help!

I'm liking Custom Digits allot. The leading zeros are even growing on me so I think that point is moot for me. It fills out the display...

Name:	20150910_192126.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	267.4 KB
ID:	47858

Name:	20150910_193220.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	242.8 KB
ID:	47859
          Attached Files

Comment

Okay I checked out the app notes as you suggested and found exactly what I was looking for. I attached the bitmaps I used for this project. It looks even better without the leading zero. Thank you much for helping to make my project better than I could hope.

Name:	0123456789%20-.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	47879

Name:	0123456789%20-Small.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	47881

Name:	FinalLook.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	47882
            Attached Files

Comment

I would really like to request that a feature be added so that Custom LED Digits have the same behaviour as the LED Digits, and they mostly do except they can't do decimal points. My issue with the LED digits is they are completely illegible when the width of a digit is under 26 pixels. I have shown the comparison between the LED digits and my Custom digits.
              Attached Files

Comment

Because the LED digit is illegible under a certain size is the exact reason I chose to use custom digits. So I feel your pain. In fact I feel they are not comfortable to look at unless they are very large. The LED digits can be improve by adding a couple features to the properties in Object Inspector. Like segment width and a selection for italic. Regardless, once you learn how to do custom digits, it is not that bad to implement. I feel there is not enough instruction on how to do it and the last place I would expect an explanation to exist is in some example code that I have to weed through. There is this... http://www.4dsystems.com.au/download...0012_R_1_0.pdf but it offers little direction.

Comment

So if I'm following this correctly, if I need to add a decimal point in Custom LED Digits I have to use two sets of Custom LED Digits?

I understand how to set my host controller to call two separate writeObject commands, one to each Custom LED digits to write to a number before and after the decimal point, but the following is what doesn't make any sense to me.

If I have for example a knob, which under Events has OnChanging to change the value of my Custom LED Digits with a decimal point, I can only set that to update only one of the two Custom LED Digits. Also how does that value, which the knob treats as an INT, get parsed to a float by the screen? Do I have to send this INT to the host, and then have the host write back to the screen again?

Comment

Hello,

Yes it would be best to report the knob onChanging event to the the host, use the host to calculate before the decimal point and after the decimal point and then send both values as int's from the host.

I hope this helps.

Best regards

Paul

Comment

I like the Smart Widgets in the new release. Is it possible to get Custom Digits with decimal places in the next software update? This feature would be incredible powerful for our companies development, and I am sure there are a lot of people that would really like this feature as well

Comment

Custom digits work by dividing a bitmap consisting of '0123456789' or '0123456679 -', if signed, equally to 'extract' each digit.

So the only way that could be extended to include a decimal point would be if the DP was the same width as each other digit, which I doubt will satisfy too many people.

So, really it's just not feasible.

Much simpler and controllable to insert your own DP between two sets of custom digits and use div and modulo in your code.
                        Mark

Comment

I realize that this is an old post, but might I suggest a new custom digits object that allows us to provide individual images for each digit akin to a user button or user images object (rather than internally splitting a single bitmap)? This would allow for a half width image for the decimal point AND allow for transparent backgrounds to the digits, both of which appear to be widely requested features.

-K

Comment

Working...
                          X