Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do I have to put the sd card int he comput and plug the display in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do I have to put the sd card int he comput and plug the display in?

Hi,

every time when I write a new thing I have to save the program on the SD card and at the same time plug the display into the computer otherwise I get a

Open error ... com3... cannot find file specified or something like that.

Why?

I understand that the pictures need t obe saved on the display but why does the display needs to be plugged in ?

Is the reason beacause the all the settings from the Project ribbon at set on the display by doing so (Like Comms Speed, etc.) ?

What Platform are you using?

For Genie and ViSi projects, there is both pictures (and possibly data) to go to the uSD (which is plugged in to the computer directly) and a program to be written to the display (which is plugged in via the comms cable)
    Mark

Comment

Hi,

I use the ViSi Genie (KitchenPi demo).

So when I build the platform without the display and only the SDcard plugged in it throws an error, so I am wondering what exactly the program needs the display for?

And then another question is, if there is any way to not use the SDcard or to directly write on it. For example I copy files from my Pi onto the SDcard like images, etc, and use it then?

Comment

There is a program on the display, this is written to the display during the build process. If you just copy the images the display will not do what you want it to, it needs the program to be written to the display AND the images and data on the uSD card to function properly.

The uSD card holds the IMAGES to be displayed in a special format ( http://forum.4dsystems.com.au/forum/...isplay-modules ) if you prepare the image on the Pi, yes you could copy them onto the SD card, but you can't simply copy jpegs and expect them to display
        Mark

Comment

Yes, I meant IMAGES in the special format. Ok so since this is possible I was wondering two things:

Originally posted by ESPsupport View Post
          ...if you prepare the image on the Pi, yes you could copy them onto the SD card...
          How do I copy these files from the Pi onto the SDcard (Sorry if this is a noob question)?

Originally posted by ESPsupport View Post
          There is a program on the display, this is written to the display during the build process.
          How do I overwrite this program from the Pi?

Comment

I don't understand what you are trying to achieve.

Wouldn't you 'just' have to remove the uSD card from the display and move to the Pi?
            If you wanted/tried to transfer the files over the serial cable you would be limited to the 11.5KB/sec 'speed limit', it would take forever to transfer the files over the cable.

For the program question, how would the program get onto the Pi? it would need to be written and compiled somewhere and that is only supported on the Windows platform.

If you are using Genie you can transfer files using a Genie Magic 'app' eg http://www.4dsystems.com.au/appnote/4D-AN-00163/ But I'm not sure if the Pi Library currently supports this
            Mark

Comment

Exactly, that's what I am trying to do, right now, if I want to switch between the calculator program and the timer program OR update something, I have to

unplug the display from the Pi
              take out the SDcard
              put the SDcard into the computer
              build the program
              put the SDcard into the display
              plug the display back into the Pi

Or is there a faster way?

Thanks for the link! I will try that

Comment

That's what needs to be done.
                Mark

Comment