No announcement yet.

uLCD-70DT-AR and USB-PA5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As per the comment above on Post #14, are you installing the PA5 driver with the screen connected, or with it disconnected?
    The driver has nothing to do with the display itself, it is only for the PA5.

The uLCD-70DT draws about 500mA by itself, so your PC may not be able to power it by itself, as tonton81 mentioned. However you need to install the driver of the PA5 before you plug in the display. If you have it connected when trying to install the driver, then it might be causing the system to malfunction due to lack of power on the USB port.
    James

Comment

Originally posted by James_4DSystems View Post
      Well don't yell at the messenger who is trying to help you, but what would you like me to do?
      If the hardware is faulty, you need to get it replaced. The process is the RMA process, which would be via Mouser - yes.

I am trying to help you... I cant work miracles and somehow make your hardware work if it is itself faulty.

I understand your upset about it, but yelling at me isn't going to solve anything.
      As I said, its nothing to do with the display module, its the programming adaptor which appears to be faulty, given the feedback you have provided.

I can talk to our sales team and see if there is some way to get a replacement sent directly to you, instead of going through RMA for the programming adaptor. Leave it with me.

I surelly understand that it's not your fault, but as you said, you are the messenger, so...
      As I said, I paid alot for this, hopping to get the best possible quality, to get stumped rightly in the begin...

The Mouser representant in Brazil is closed now, tomorrow the first thing I will certanly do is YELL ALOT with them too, for sending me this without any previous test. So, about the RMA you will take care? I will await for further instructions, and please, hurry.

The display it self seens to work, I connect it to the arduino and it light up with a pre programmed screen (I will connect it again, and attach a picture).
      Last edited by Arank; 23rd March 2016, 10:32 AM.

Comment

As per the comment above on Post #14, are you installing the PA5 driver with the screen connected, or with it disconnected?
        The driver has nothing to do with the display itself, it is only for the PA5.

The uLCD-70DT draws about 500mA by itself, so your PC may not be able to power it by itself, as tonton81 mentioned. However you need to install the driver of the PA5 before you plug in the display. If you have it connected when trying to install the driver, then it might be causing the system to malfunction due to lack of power on the USB port.

I tried on both forms, none worked.
        Indeed I imagined it could be the power supply, but it's not. As when I'm powering it from the USB port but connected trought the arduino shield it works.

Comment

Faults and failures do happen from time to time, which is why we have a RMA process to get faulty modules replaced. You being in Brazil and travelling to the US to get the module is unfortunate, and I will try and see if there is something we can do to get you a replacement directly, even though this should be done through Mouser.

I am just trying to go through every possible thing I can think of, in case it is not hardware related, as you have no idea how many people we have doing incorrect things, and it being User error rather than a hardware problem. I am merely trying to assure this is not the case with you, and I don't believe it is the case with you. As if we sent you a tested replacement directly, and it does the same thing for you when you receive it, then we are back at square 1 aren't we.

So let me ask again, just to be 100% clear and sure.
          You have uninstalled the driver via Device Manager.
          You have uninstalled the Silicon Labs driver from Add/Remove Programs? Likewise with the old FTDI drivers you attempted first?
          You have restarted your PC
          You have connected the PA5 to your PC again, without the display module.
          It comes up as an unknown item, right?
          You have then attempted to install the Silicon Labs driver, using the installer
          Still an unknown item?
          Disconnect it form your PC and plug it in again. Still unknown?
          If so, then really it has to be hardware, as this is not rocket science, these things normally just work. I cant recall any previous failure regarding a PA5.

Also - you said windows says 'The best software driver is already installed' etc. Any idea what software driver it thinks it has loaded? your screenshots didnt seem to show it.

Regards
          James

Comment

Originally posted by Arank View Post
            I tried on both forms, none worked.
            Indeed I imagined it could be the power supply, but it's not. As when I'm powering it from the USB port but connected trought the arduino shield it works.

Here is the image of the display "working" when using the Arduino shield.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0474.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	51621

Comment

So if you plug the display directly into the PA5, and power it up the display will not show the splash screen, like you are getting via the Arduino shield?
              Because that doesn't make much sense as to why there would be any difference, as all it is doing is providing power, regardless of if the driver for the PA5 is loaded or not.
              James

Comment

Originally posted by Arank View Post
                The Mouser representant in Brazil is closed now, tomorrow the first thing I will certanly do is YELL ALOT with them too, for sending me this without any previous test. So, about the RMA you will take care? I will await for further instructions, and please, hurry.
                Well Mouser is a distributor, they do not test products they distribute.
                I cannot handle the RMA for you, as that is between you and the distributor. However I am trying to find out if we can send you a replacement directly from Australia, ignoring the RMA process. However I have no guarantees this is going to be possible.
                James

Comment

Faults and failures do happen from time to time, which is why we have a RMA process to get faulty modules replaced. You being in Brazil and travelling to the US to get the module is unfortunate, and I will try and see if there is something we can do to get you a replacement directly, even though this should be done through Mouser.

I am just trying to go through every possible thing I can think of, in case it is not hardware related, as you have no idea how many people we have doing incorrect things, and it being User error rather than a hardware problem. I am merely trying to assure this is not the case with you, and I don't believe it is the case with you. As if we sent you a tested replacement directly, and it does the same thing for you when you receive it, then we are back at square 1 aren't we.

So let me ask again, just to be 100% clear and sure.
                  You have uninstalled the driver via Device Manager.
                  You have uninstalled the Silicon Labs driver from Add/Remove Programs? Likewise with the old FTDI drivers you attempted first?
                  You have restarted your PC
                  You have connected the PA5 to your PC again, without the display module.
                  It comes up as an unknown item, right?
                  You have then attempted to install the Silicon Labs driver, using the installer
                  Still an unknown item?
                  Disconnect it form your PC and plug it in again. Still unknown?
                  If so, then really it has to be hardware, as this is not rocket science, these things normally just work. I cant recall any previous failure regarding a PA5.

Also - you said windows says 'The best software driver is already installed' etc. Any idea what software driver it thinks it has loaded? your screenshots didnt seem to show it.

Regards

Yes, I already did all that, exactly like that.
                  But, just for sure, I will do all that again, I will try to record it, let's see if I can.

About the best software part, it seens to be that the unrecognized status is considered a "driver" too, so it still unknown and it says that it's right. This part I didn't get well too, it's really odd.

Comment

So if you plug the display directly into the PA5, and power it up the display will not show the splash screen, like you are getting via the Arduino shield?
                    Because that doesn't make much sense as to why there would be any difference, as all it is doing is providing power, regardless of if the driver for the PA5 is loaded or not.

By power it up, you mean plug the PA5 to the computer USB port? No, it don't show anything, just blinks the screen 3 or 4 times, real quickly then simply dies...

Comment

Well Mouser is a distributor, they do not test products they distribute.
                      I cannot handle the RMA for you, as that is between you and the distributor. However I am trying to find out if we can send you a replacement directly from Australia, ignoring the RMA process. However I have no guarantees this is going to be possible.

Ah, okay. I will call Mouser tomorrow anyway to show my disregret with this situation, but I will wait for your answer before opnening an RMA with them.

Comment

When Windows says, "The best software driver is already installed", what is the actual driver it has installed?
                        Mark

Comment

Well, I striped up an old usb cable and connected it to the same USB port and wired the +5v and GND from the USB cable directly to the display, and like that it power up, and show the splash screen exactly like when it was connect to the arduino. So the problem isn't the power supplied by the USB port.

Name:	IMG_0475.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	51630

Comment

Originally posted by ESPsupport View Post
                            When Windows says, "The best software driver is already installed", what is the actual driver it has installed?

It's saying usb.inf.

Name:	Sem título.png
Views:	13
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	51632

Comment

Please reply with your results after repeating the tests I asked about, and also what Mark asked in Post #26

Thanks

EDIT - cross post. you have. Thanks
                              James

Comment

Well it seems it is still loading the wrong driver....

Can you do the following and try and force it to update, as for some reason it is not loading the right one - extremely weird.

1. Open the Device Manager Control Panel.
                                2. Select the faulty device, right-click on it, and select 'Update Driver Software'.
                                3. Click on 'Browse my computer for driver software'
                                4. Click on 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'.
                                5. Click 'Have disk'.
                                6. Point it to the file slabvcp.inf from the folder where you extracted all the driver files to.
                                7. Click on Open and then OK.
                                8. Select the Silicon Labs driver from the list, click Next
                                9. Click on Yes to continue the installation if you receive a message saying 'Installing this driver is not recommended because Windows cannot verify that it is compatible with your hardware.'.
                                10. Click 'Close' to complete the installation.
                                11. Select Yes to reboot if asked. If not asked, we recommend that you reboot the computer anyway.

And that should be it...

Please confirm. I just did the above with my one here, which already had a driver installed, but I updated it using the above.
                                James

Comment

Working...
                                X