Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VISI, Arduino and Leddigits

Hello,
    I am using a uLCD-144-G2 connected to a ATMEGA2560. My final goal is to have a screen showing some static text and next to it an integer which represents the analogue value coming in from the ATMEGA. I started off with Visi and was able to create a display using LedDigits quite quickly and was impressed with the software and examples. I then tried to connect the Arduino using the 'genieArduino.h' library to find out that I could not get the uLCD to respond. I then tried the slave mode SPE load and looked into 'GoldeloxBigDemo' and thought that this may be the answer albeit not as elegant as the VISI method. I found that I could write characters to the screen using 'Display.putstr()' without problems but could not find a way to send an interger, I tried 'putnum'.but it is not in the arduino library. I have found how to display images using VISI and SPE - http://www.4dsystems.com.au/download...100_R_1_01.pdf but still no method of sending integer's through serial. I think I am on the write track with using VISI and setting the LCD as a slave from Arduino, but please tell me if you can suggest a better method. In regard to sending a integer through the serial am I missing something here?

Thanks
    Colin

Hello Colin,

If you design using ViSi, you would need to create your own protocol.

If you use Serial, you can use the SPE protocol.

ViSi-Genie is not applicable to Goldelox displays. Hence, you cannot use the ViSi-Genie-Arduino library (genieArduino.h).

ViSi-Genie, Serial, and ViSi are separate environments. You have to choose only one.

I found that I could write characters to the screen using 'Display.putstr()' without problems but could not find a way to send an interger..
    Were you able to try the sample sketch "Display_print.ino" that comes with the Goldelox-Serial library?

Regards,
    Doff

Comment

Should you wish to proceed with ViSi and create your own protocol, you would have to use the serial comms functions. You could use the project below as a reference.

4D-CD-00045 Designer or ViSi Goldelox Serial Communication
      http://forum.4dsystems.com.au/forum/...-communication

Hope this helps.
      Doff

Comment

I wrote a function that displays an integer value and allows it to be updated:

Code:
        int setValue( int ival, int xpos, int ypos, int minval, int maxval )
        {
          char str[] = "ival  ";

Display.txt_MoveCursor(ypos, xpos) ;
          itoa(ival, str, 10);
          Display.putstr((char*)"   ") ;  //clear
          Display.putstr(str) ;
          while (digitalRead(pin_btSelect) == LOW) {
            if( digitalRead(pin_btStep) == HIGH ) {
              ival++;
              if( ival > maxval )
                ival = minval;
              itoa(ival, str, 10);
              Display.putstr((char*)"   ") ;  //clear
              Display.putstr(str) ;
              delay(50); }
            delay(50); }
          delay(500);
          return  ival;
        }

Comment

Thanks guys, I managed to get this working thanks to the example given in this post http://forum.4dsystems.com.au/forum/...8-visi-example . I tried your code PStechPaul and that worked well as well. Looks a lot better as a graphic.

Comment

Working...
          X