Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ​​​​​​​Programming using gen4-IB and generic USB-Serial adaptor

Hi,
    I've bought a Starter Kit for gen4-uLCD-50DT almost a year ago, and have been using it on and off quite nicely. However, a few days ago, all of a sudden the gen4-PA got really hot and is no longer detected as a USB device. There is still power going through, it can still power the LCD (while getting really hot), but cannot be detected by the computer anymore.

So I tried to use the gen4-IB to program my LCD. I connected the LCD to the IB, then to a generic USB-Serial adaptor (I did not have a uUSB-PA5 or the 4D Programming Cable at hand). I've made sure the pins are connected properly between the IB and my USB-Serial adaptor. However, Workshop could not detect the LCD and the LED is red always.

Is there a way I could make this work?

EDIT:
    I would love to get a new gen4-PA, but shipping to Malaysia is 3 times the cost of the item itself!

Hello Arif,

Sorry the hear you are having a problem with your power adapter. Unfortunately your generic USB-Serial adapter is probably not sending or supporting the needed reset line. As part of the detection sequence the display needs to be reset. You will probably notice the display doesn't reset when you try to detect it. Can you let met know the details of your generic USB-Serial adaptor.

Best regards

Paul

Comment

Hi Paul,

Hmm I did connect the reset line to probably DTR or CTS (I couldn't check now) through a resistor.

Is it possible if I manually reset it everytime I want to program? Pull high then low?

Comment

Hi Arif,

I don't think you would be able to time it right, but by all means try it, There is nothing lost by having a go.

Paul

Comment

Sure will do

Comment

Hi Arif

This forum post may help if you have an FTDI programmer.

http://forum.4dsystems.com.au/forum/...-usb-to-serial

I hope this helps

Best regards

Paul

Comment

Working...
            X