• kevinbennett126
    replied

Many thanks :-)

K.

Leave a comment:

• ESPsupport
    replied

I did say "If you can".

Really it's not that important anymore. It used to be important with first generation OLEDs, but newer OLEDs are better designed.

It refers to the internal voltages within the OLED and how they dissipate when power is removed, setting contrast to zero sets them to 0 and hence they don't need to dissipate anywhere.

Leave a comment:

• kevinbennett126
    replied

@ESPsupport
    Thank you for trying to help with this problem, but the last bit of your answer "If you can't, well you can't" rather negates the first part of your reply.

Either its important to set "contrast to 0" or its not.

Maybe some explanation of what the reasons behind it are and what effect setting the contrast to 0 would have, would help us all.

Thanks,
    Kevin

Leave a comment:

• ESPsupport
    replied

If you can, try and set contrast to 0 before power is removed.

If you can't, well you can't

Leave a comment:

• tamathumper
    replied

Does this also apply to the G2 version(s) of the OLED displays? I am planning to develop an in-car gauge display, which will be powered on and off as frequently as the car is powered on and off (multiple times per day).

If it is an issue, what is your recommendation for preventing damage?

Leave a comment:

• ESPsupport
    replied

The statement applies and still applies to LCD displays

Leave a comment:

• kevinbennett126
    replied

can anyone help with my above questions please ? ..........

Kevin

Leave a comment:

• kevinbennett126
    replied

meldavia wrote: There is no specific power-down requirement for LCD displays. Power can be interrupted during any type of operation and it will not cause any adverse effects.
    Is this statement still correct?
    Are you saying if I use a uLCD32032-P1T then there is no power down issues ?

Kevin

Leave a comment:

• kevinbennett126
    replied

Hi, I think I've suffered a failure too ... although I've been very carefull in shutting down the display.
    Can someone confirm its just the display (i.e. the screen) which dies, in my case I'm pretty sure the processor is still running because I'm using the touch screen to control other things and that seems to be working even though I can't see anything on the screen.

And are these things repairable?

Kevin

Leave a comment:

• xcler8
    replied

Would it help address this issue any if a big capacitor (e.g. .47 uF) was put across the power/gnd pins at the display connector to slow the ramp up and ramp down of display power?

Leave a comment:

• Valen
    replied

4dTechSupport wrote: In order to proceed with the warranty and repair, you need to get back to your place of purchase with the invoice details. They will be able to assist. The product is covered for three months warranty.
    I have just to see this thread, and I am very surprised and angry.

My uOLED-160-G1 (SGC) is also broken, because I have disconnected the power suppy.
    I bought it on 2011-02-27, so in order to proceed with the warranty and repair, what do I have to do? Do you have a re-seller in Spain, to resolve it?

Leave a comment:

• GregFordyce
    replied

Thanks for the clarification meldavia, maybe this sticky at the top of the micro-LCD forum could be clarified, it sent me on a bit of a wild goose chase!

Greg

Leave a comment:

• meldavia
    replied

There is no specific power-down requirement for LCD displays. Power can be interrupted during any type of operation and it will not cause any adverse effects.

Leave a comment:

• GregFordyce
    replied

I am also wanting to use the µLCD-32PT(GFX) for an in car display and am a bit confused about the whole power down issue and if it applies to this display. I have been through the ?LCD-32PT(GFX) 3.2” LCD Display Module Data Sheet Document Date: 22nd July 2010 Document Revision: 3.0 and can find no warnings about a power down sequence, as mentioned in the first post to this thread.

smcmanus wrote: There have been a number of questions asked about the danger of damaging the OLED and LCD displays by failing to observe the power down sequence detailed in the User Manuals.
    I would have expected a warning to be in section 7, page 15 of the above mentioned document if it was relevant to the µLCD-32PT(GFX). The data sheet for the bare lcd display also makes no mention of a power down procedure, at least that I could find, and the attachments to the post mentioned above only show OLED devices.

So do I or don't I need to follow a power down procedure for the µLCD-32PT(GFX) and if I do is it sufficient to call the function ProgramExit() and then cut the power?

Leave a comment:

• charrigan
    replied

Do the newer LCD display modules such as the µLCD-32PT(GFX) still have power down concerns? Having to power down in a certain sequence. I've seen direct references to OLED displays having this issue but only vague references to LCD. I found this post on the forum, but it seemed dated and irrelevant. If the µLCD-32PT(GFX) requires a specific power down sequence, what is it, where can I find details about it? I cannot find it n the documentation. Thanks

Leave a comment:

Working...
X