X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Armstrongracing
    • Nov 2017

Whats best for display egt sensors

Hi im looking for a module to read and display egt(exhaust gas temperature) sensors for tuning purposes. Has any one here done this or recommend whats best to use?
    thanks josh
  • James_4DSystems
    4D Staff
    • Jan 2012

Hi Josh

EGT, depends on the tech of the EGT I guess. If they are like K type Thermocouples, then you will need a breakout board or use an IC which converts the thermocouple readings into signals suitable for downstream devices, such as our display. You can get theromocouple breakouts which output I2C, SPI or 1-Wire, or simply amplify the signal for use with an Analog Input.

So, it depends on what the EGT is you have as to what solution you would need.

Regards
    James

Comment

• Armstrongracing
      • Nov 2017

Hi james would one of these thermocouples work with the display (octo (8) max31855 just have to do a serch to see it)

Comment

• James_4DSystems
        4D Staff
        • Jan 2012

Hi Josh

I think that should work fine - SPI communication. I assume you are using a Diablo16 based display module...? You havent specified what display you have.
        Obviously you would need to write the code to suit the max31855's requirements, as per their Datasheet, but I believe there shouldn't be any problems.

Hope that helps

Regards
        James

Comment

• Armstrongracing
          • Nov 2017

Would this be the best module to start with SK-gen4-70DCT-CLB

Comment

• James_4DSystems
            4D Staff
            • Jan 2012

7" Capacitive Touch gen4 module Starter Kit would be perfect
            James

Comment

• Armstrongracing
              Armstrongracing commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi james what's the difference in the gen4 starter kits, i went into checkout and heaps of different options come up, and how come the prices are in us $ but its a au site? Sory about all the questions

• James_4DSystems
              James_4DSystems commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Josh. Gen4 starter kits are like what you see in the Buy Now section of the product page. They come with a programmer and a SD card basically, to help you get started. The Buy now section has lots of options, yes. Non touch, resistive touch, capacitive touch etc, and then the Starter Kits for each.
              We use $US as we trade internationally, its much easier and more universal to use $US than $AU.
          • Armstrongracing
            • Nov 2017

Thanks for your help james much appreciated

josh

Comment

• Armstrongracing
              • Nov 2017

hi james ive got the new 7" Capacitive Touch gen4 module Starter Kit and it didn't come with a quick start guide.
              this is completely new to me and just trying to work out where to start.
              i downloaded the workshop 4 and had a bit of a play around with it to see if i could create some gauges.
              is there any guides for step by step for setting it screen up?

thanks josh

Comment

• James_4DSystems
                4D Staff
                • Jan 2012

Hi Josh

Well I would suggest you start with basics and just work through some app notes to get familiar with the system before you launch in to tackle what you need to right away. Some base understanding would help a lot.

Regards
                James

Comment

• Armstrongracing
                  • Nov 2017

Thanks for that james.
                  been doing a lot of reading up today on it and the process.
                  ive plugged in the gen4 pa and the screen on the 70 dct clb is powering up. but its not comming up on workshop4 when im going to select a port to connect. Ive tried two micro usb cables and still no luck.
                  thanks josh

Comment

• pauleilio
                    4D Staff
                    • Aug 2015

Hi Josh,

Cab you confirm if the driver was installed for the gen4-PA, You can check the status of the gen4-PA by opening Windows Device Manager.

Best regards

Paul

Comment

• rfboom
                      • Jan 2018

Hey Guys,

I am new to this forum, and new to these products, but do have programming experience so I am helping Josh with this project of his now.

I been doing some reading and am doing some testing on it, so might have a few questions about "best way" to do few things yet, particularly making the SPI work from the octo board to the gen4-PA.

Adam.

Comment

• Mark Kevin
                        • Jun 2016

Hi rfboom,

Unfortunately, we do not have app notes or sample codes for SPI communications as of the moment.
                        However, you can refer to this forum post where Sir Paul made a sample code for SPI communications:

Hi, I'm currently using the gen4-ULCD-50DT-SB with visi for different type of display with an Arduino Atmega 328 and I am not able to find any function or part

Comment

Working...
                        X