Device is not responding ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Device is not responding ??

Hi - this is my first attempt with a 4d systems display, and it all sounded very easy to get to work - but I seem to be failing at the first hurdle....

I have a gen4-uLCD-32DT, connected with the supplied FFC to the supplied adapter board.

This is then connected to a UUSB-PA5-II which is then connected to my PC.

The screen has powered up, and is displaying a splash type screen, telling me the following ...

gen4-uLCD-32DT
    SPE2 rev 1.2
    PmmC rev 2.0
    Comms 9600

My PC has found 'COM15'

I've installed Workshop4, and it has also found COM15.

But.. when I click the red status indicator, it turns yellow, the screen reboots, the LED on the PA5 flashes once or twice, and then Workshop 4 reports 'Device is not responding'

What am I doing wrong ??

Thanks

Hello,

Welcome to the forum.

From your description you don't seem to have done anything wrong. One thing you could check is that the FPC is the right way which I am sure it is as your are clearly getting the reset signal though wheb you scan. The blue part of the FPC should be downwards and not visible when inserted into the connector. You could also check that the FPC connector is all the way in. Another thing to check is that COM 15 isn't being used by anything else.

You can also check the display is communicating by starting a new project choosing your display, then click on Serial as a programming environment. You can then click on the Tools tab and then Serial commander. It will hopefully connect to COM 15. Click on the gfx tab and then gfx_Cls and then send.

I hope this helps

Best regards

Paul

Comment

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your help.

I checked the FPC, and it does have the blue tab facing down at both ends - I don't think the display would power up if it was the other way up ?

COM15 isn't being used by anything else as far as I can tell - I checked using a comms debug programme we use, and it won't let me open COM15 once Workshop4 has it - but I can open COM15 if I disconnect it in Workshop4.

I tried the serial commander as you suggest - the display does not react to the command, and the following is returned in the response window 'gfx_Cls[FF82] 4.976 (Error: command timed out)

It does however flash the green light on the PA5 when I click send - but the display won't do anything.

Where else should I look ?

Thanks

Comment

Hello,

You are right it wouldn't power up at all the other way up. COM 15 is obviously working as it should.

You can check the uUSB-PA5 by attaching a wire between TX and RX and run Terminal from the Tools Tab, anything you type on the keyboard should show a hex response in RED.

Paul

Comment

I tried looping the TX & RX back and I can get whatever i send echoed back to me - so that suggests the PA5 is working OK

I probed pin 42 on the processor, and I can see the waveform of the bits being sent to it when I try the gfx_cls command.

So I'm thinking that either the baud rate is incorrect, and so the processor doesn't understand what I am sending, or it is in some mode where it isn't listening, or it's faulty ?

I'm trying comms at 9600, because that is what is on the display. Is this the rate the serial port is set to, or is it just a splash screen ?

I'm not sure what else to try now ?

Comment

Hello,

Everything seems to check out OK and serial is arriving at pin 42. You could try a PmmC Update. To do this you will need to start a new project choosing your display and then ViSi. Click on the Tools tab and then click on PmmC Loader. A new window will open, select your com Port, automatic won't work for you so you will have to select Manual and click on Force Update to current PmmC. In the Load what panel click on both, then navigate to this folder C:\Users\Public\Documents\4D Labs\4DUpdates\PmmCs These are the 2 files you need

Diablo16-R20.PmmC
            Gen4-uLCD-32DT-A-D151118.4drv

Then click on Load.

Best regards

Paul

Comment

OK - I tried doing as you suggested ....

After I click Load - a message box pops up saying 'Unexpected response from display:- 0'

If you click OK, you get the same message again, followed by 'List index out of bounds (0)'

Comment

Hello,

Would you like to open a support ticket by visiting http://www.4dsystems.com.au/support

Best regards

Paul

Comment

Hi Paul, I've done that now thanks.

I think it must have a problem - I've ordered another one, so I can do a substitution test.

Comment

Hi, have the same problem with a gen4-ulcd-32dt-ar, I was only able to load a scketch via arduino.

I tried to open a ticket without success, it gives me an error in http://www.4dsystems.com.au/support all attempts, I am a bit discouraged.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gen4-ulcd-32dt-ar.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	73912

Greetings
                    Cesar

Comment

Good day Cesar,

Apologies for the inconvenience regarding the support page. We are currently having issues with our support ticket system as you have noticed. Rest assured that this will be fixed soon. We are currently in the process of migrating to better support system.

For the meantime, let me try and help you as much as I could. Can you give me more information regarding this issue?

Here's what I'd like to confirm:
                      • What programming module are you using?
                      • Are you able to find the COM port by going into Device Manager?
                      Best Regards,
                      Juniel Cruz

Comment

Hi Juniel.

It is my first contact on the display and I don't really know if I need a special programmer? I was trying it with an arduino interface without Atmega.

The port does not recognize it, now I thought that I could save a program in the uSD (4xe) but still I do not get results.

Greetings
                        Cesar

Comment

Hi Cesar,

You need a programming adapter to program the display. One should be included if you purchased a starter kit.

Using a custom programmer is not recommended and may void the warranty.

You can check out 4D-UPA or uUSB-PA5-II (if you already have a gen4-IB).

The customer above used a uUSB-PA5-II + gen4-IB programming setup.

I hope this helped.

Best Regards,
                          Juniel Cruz

Comment

The kit was not bought, they gave it to me from Cambridge - Biomaker, it seems that the programmer was withdrawn, I appreciate your good attention.
                            Here in Argentina it will be difficult to get it.

Greetings
                            Cesar

Comment

Hi Cesar,

You might want to contact some of our distributors near you to see if they have stock of any of the following:
                              • gen4-PA
                              • 4D-UPA
                              • uUSB-PA5 (assuming you at least have a gen4-IB)
                              Best Regards,
                              Juniel Cruz

Comment

Working...
                              X