Overview. An introduction to 4D products and systems would be helpful

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overview. An introduction to 4D products and systems would be helpful

OK, I'm newish to 4D systems. I can write assembly code for PICs, Basic and have designed and built various circuits. All hobby level stuff. I used uDrive_uSD_G1 in a few projects and very good it is. Also GPS and LCD modules, depth sensors, pulse streams etc.
    Now I look at the rest of the 4D range of modules with interest. But then I find it hard going because of the number of options for everything. I can't quite get a grip on it to make decisions.
    I read the forum entries. All very good. But they get deep very quickly. I could do with a simple overview. Let me tell you what I know:
    The displays can be LED, LCD, uLCD and maybe others, with and without touchscreen.
    In a range of sizes naturally. With a range of processors: Diablo, Picaso, maybe others.
    The Workshop IDE has four 'modes', two helping with screen layout., one with serial and uSD.
    Languages:4DGL - but I think I have seen code fragments in C (which gives me word blindness as I don't know it but it looks like HTML which I also don't know!)
    Examples interfacing with Arduino, Rasp-Pi, etc are often given which I can suck the juice out of but I don't use these.

So if I wanted to read in serial, parse the data, store a sentence on the uSD card and show it on a screen it should be dead easy.
    Ideally it would use fairly a high level language so to do this repeatedly would be a couple of dozen lines.
    But the examples look like hundreds of lines of code which I could never error check in any reasonable time frame.
    (My life has an undefined end date at present but I need to get realistic about what I sign up to!)

So Question: Is there a fairly easy primer or overview to help selection. Is there a high level language option or compact example code? All help appreciated.
    Phil Bostock. UK.

Hi Phil,

Welcome to the forum.

There are 4 progarmming options available,

2 of these are serial and involve no coding at all. Visi-Genie will allow you to create forms with buttons and gauges using drag & drop features for fast development. Visi-Genie is designed to be controlled via serial or you can add snippets of code if using the Pro Version of workshop 4 to quicky develop an app and attach devices, sensor etc. The serial SPE mode allows for more access to the display hardware via simple serial commands and is usually used with a host, Arduino, Raspberry PI etc.

The othe 2 programming modes are 4DGL programming modes, Designer is purely code based while ViSi is code based with drag & drop features to speed up GUI development. A lot of the code you have seen in examples are generated by clicking 'Paste Code' after adding a graphic object using drag & drop. There is full access to all available hardware features with these 2 programming modes. 4DGL is like a mix of C++ and BASIC and is very easy to get to grips with.

It is fairly easy to get serial data from a GPS, parse the data, then store and display it on the screen.

This appnote may help to get you started. http://www.4dsystems.com.au/appnote/4D-AN-00119/

I hope this helps

Best regards

Paul

Comment

Working...
    X