File Transfer over serial (Programming) cable Utility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File Transfer over serial (Programming) cable Utility

This utility can transfer files in both directions to and from a uSD mounted in a display over the device used for programming the display.

If uses an optimised transfer algorithm that takes into account the programming device being used, the capabilities of the display to transfer at the maximum speed possible given the limitations of UART speeds.

RAW sectors can also be transferred in both directions being ‘assembled’ on the PC as a single file.

All transfers are done using Serial/Uart communications and the actual transfer speed used by the utility depends upon several factors.

Picaso and Goldelox can transfer at a maximum speed of 600K Baud, Diablo can transfer at over 2M Baud.

The PA5-II, Gen4-PA and 4D-UPA can transfer at a maximum speed of over 2M baud. So can the MB5 and Programming cable, although the AN205SW program needs to be used to customise settings on these devices. The CE5 and PA5 can only transfer at a maximum speed of 600K Baud.

The speed of the programming device is further affected by the internal buffer used by the manufacturer supplied Windows driver. Although this is fixed and not changeable by the user it is documented here for clarity. The PA5-II, Gen4-PA and 4D-UPA Drivers have a 64KB buffer, the CE5 and PA5 have a 4KB buffer and the MB5 and Programming Cable have a 512 byte buffer.

If you need to run the AN205SW the follow changes need to be made
    Baud Rate Range New Baud Rate
    57-300 600000 (Used for Goldelox)
    301-600 625000 (used for Diablo)
    601-1200 703125 (used for Picaso)
    1201-1800 2187500 (used for Diablo)
    When changing these values you need to uncheck ‘Override Recommended’ in the advanced settings first.

18 March 2019 Ftr10 has replaced the original file.

FileTransfer now supports command line parameters and the ability to limit the maximum baud rate at which the transfer will be done.

31 May 2019 Ftr102 has replaced FTr10

For Batch transmit the destination filename is optional. If not present the Windows short filename will be used (Beware of systems that have short filenames turned off)

21 June 2019 Ftr103 has replaced FTr102

Removed spurious message for each transfer
    Restart display at end of batch transfer
    Attached Files
    Mark

awesome, does this mean we can program the sd card in the screen without removing it for genie environment? (i dont mind if it takes a little time over a slow link to transfer files)

Comment

Yes, it does.

However, this is not integrated with Workshop just yet, so you will need top copy the files 'manually' using this tool
      Mark

Comment

If you need a copy of the AN205SW try this http://www.4dsystems.com.au/download...es/AN205SW.zip

We have found that a) it is hard to find on the SILABS site and b) the version(s) that are on their site often don't work with certain combinations of Chips / OS Versions
        Mark

Comment

this is very good news for “consealed”/embedded projects with no access to the sd slot, although i have no time to try it out i will definately be using it in future
          thank you

Comment

Hi, I have a 4Duino display, and have downloaded today the File Transfer utility, but doesn't work for me. I connect without problems to Workshop and can upload the sketches, but when I run the 'File Transfer' it says "Com4: Unrecognised device, all baud rates assumed valid", I click on 'Connect' (Baud Rate appears as 115200) and says: "Device on COM4 is not responding. Please that the com port is correct and that a display is plugged in".
            I check again with Workshop and it works fine. ¿Any idea? Thanks.

Comment

Sounds like you are selecting, maybe, the Arduino's com port, you need to select the Displays com port. (and have the display's com port connected
              Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ESPsupport View Post
                Sounds like you are selecting, maybe, the Arduino's com port, you need to select the Displays com port. (and have the display's com port connected
                Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.
                - With 4Duino DISCONNECTED:
                I open Arduino IDE and it doesn't appear any COM available (I close it).
                I open Workshop and it doesn't appear any COM available (I close it).
                I open File Transfer and it doesn't appear any COM available (I close it).
                - I connect 4DUINO with USB cable:
                I open Arduino and appears 'COM4 (4Duino-2.4"). I close it.
                I open Workshop and appears 'COM4' and I can upload any sketch. I close it.
                I open File Transfer, and appears COM4, but says:
                "Com4: Unrecognised device, all baud rates assumed valid"
                "Device on COM4 is not responding. Please that the com port is correct and that a display is plugged in".

Comment

To use the File transfer utility you need to connect a 4D programming device (4D programming cable, PA5, PA5-II, 4D-UPA, or equivalent) to the Picaso Programming header. Refer to the Datasheet, it's at the 'top' of the 4Duino board
                  Mark

Comment

Ok. Then it's not useful for me. I have inserted my 4Duino into a box, with a 9V battery, DC/DC 9v/5v, a Bluetooth HC-05 card, a jack conector to charge the battery, a switch to conmute between charging and normal function, a connector for USB uploading, but I didn't keep in mind the access to SD for uploading 4Duino files (.dat and .cgi) and I don't have enough room for it. Maybe will it be possible dumping the files through Serial port?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ilx2kZ.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	62980Click image for larger version

Name:	MzvpGA.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	62981Click image for larger version

Name:	vPv0r1.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	62982Click image for larger version

Name:	utWxzG.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	62983

Comment

the 4duino uart interface is separate from the other components, you could just add another usb header for the programming of the display/uSD if needed, the display uses COM1 for the integrated leonardo circuit, so programming the display/usd wont interrupt the 4duino and the 4duino wont interrupt the LCD either since its programming port is the main access (COM0)

in your photo above you’ll see the header available below the external USB jack wire, the 5 rows closest to the plug labeled: (PICASO PROGRAM)
                      Last edited by tonton81; 23rd April 2018, 02:13 AM.

Comment

Yes, the problem is to find a place in the box to make another hole, and put a connector. Now, everything is a little bit tight.

Comment

Hi Mark, I'm testing out the transfer tool, you said it could do 2megabaud? im using a pa5 adaptor but the tool only shows 600K baud (ulcd-70dt & pa5-II )
                          Last edited by tonton81; 2nd May 2018, 04:57 AM.

Comment

By the way, the tool worked for me, All I do is just transfer 3 files from the workshop file:

.DAT
                            .GCI
                            .TXF

very nice, although slow, i dont mind a coffee break while uploading

Comment

Just found this post, and the tool looks like a dream come true for my project !
                              However, I am experience some issues to get it to work.

When opening the FIleTransfer.exe, I am able to connect to my screen. But the SD does not mount.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	File Transfer.png
Views:	428
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	66861

I then try to use CP210xBaudRateAliasConfig.exe, to adjust the settings, as said in the initial post.
                              Not entirely sure that I use this software properly, but anyway, I did not get any luck : the SD is still not mouting.

When disconnecting the COM port, my screen goes back to running my initial program, which means that the SD is working fine.

Am I missing something here ?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X