No announcement yet.

File Transfer over serial (Programming) cable Utility

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tried running the program with admin rights?

Comment

Hello Vincent,

Just to ensure that you've used the Baud Rate configurator properly, Here's a screen shot of what I did with mine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	baudconfig.PNG
Views:	70
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	66868

After that, please ensure to click on "Set Configuration"

I hope this helps.
      Michael

Comment

Is there any command line utility to work with this file transfer program? It would be great if I could incorporate this with a script that also programs the display

Comment

• Vince_4D
          Vince_4D commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi,

Command line utility for file transfer program was planned to be developed but unfortunately, it is not yet available.

Best regards,

tonton81, michael_4D, I managed to get it working somehow. Don't know if it was the admin, the config that was incorrectly set, a bad SD card or something else.
        Anyway, I managed to get to work once on my PC, so I will get back to it as soon as I have some time. I'm very busy at the moment, and this not a priority.

I have a small concern with this transfer program : If I send it to my customer, would he be able to sniff the entire program from a display, and program another display ? Or is there any code protection involved somewhere ?

Comment

I get the FileTrasnfert working when using the 4D Programming cable, but I have no success when trying through my onboard USB-Serial bridge.

My 4D Display is hooked up to 2 custom PCBs. On one of them, I have a CP2102N connected to a USB port. I can program my display from the Workshop or the ProgramLoader directly from this USB port with no issue.
          -> My hardware looks fine.

However, trying to run the FileTransferProgram, I get the "SD Mount fail', as I mentionned previously. Actually, I am pretty sure that the issue is that something goes wrong when changing the baud rate from 115200 to 2.1M.

If I bypass my onboard CP2102, and use directly the 4D Prog cable, everything is fine.

After looking at the hardware, I noticed that the 4D Programing cable uses a CP2104, while I have a CP2102. Both should work the same way, but is there a chance that my problem is comming this ? Does the software use "special commands", that only the CP2104 can handle ?

Comment

Hello Vincent,

I would like to confirm if you're using this cable to bypass your onboard USB-Serial bridge:

4D Programming Cable:
            https://www.4dsystems.com.au/product...ramming-Cable/

If so, then that cable uses a CP2102 chip.

Based on this forum post:
            https://www.silabs.com/community/int...s_cp2102n-CV3X

The two chip (CP2102N & CP2102) should be interchangeable except that the CP2102N may have issues with longer cables.

In conclusion, assuming that your hardware is working properly, please confirm that:

1. Your onboard USB-Serial bridge is configured with the baud rate configurator with the parameters shown on my previously posted photo.
            2. Your using a cable shorter than 5 meters.

I hope ths helps.

Best regards,
            Michael

Comment

Originally posted by michael_4D View Post
              I would like to confirm if you're using this cable to bypass your onboard USB-Serial bridge:

4D Programming Cable:
              https://www.4dsystems.com.au/product...ramming-Cable/

If so, then that cable uses a CP2102 chip.
              Yes, that's what I use. I assumed it was using a CP2104 because of the schematic found on this app note : https://www.4dsystems.com.au/product...heet_R_1_1.pdf

Originally posted by michael_4D View Post
              Based on this forum post:
              https://www.silabs.com/community/int...s_cp2102n-CV3X

The two chip (CP2102N & CP2102) should be interchangeable except that the CP2102N may have issues with longer cables.

In conclusion, assuming that your hardware is working properly, please confirm that:
              I will try with short/different cables and see if it helps.
              Now that I know that the 4D Cable uses the same chip as I have on my PCB, I can look more closely to all the other parameters.
              My schematic is slightly different from the the one on the app note I mentioned above (because of special needs for power). Nothing big, it's probably the issue.
              I am still confused though, that the Workshop works perfectly, and not the FileTransfer.

Comment

Hello Vincent,

Please note that the configuration done with the AN205SW (CP201x Baud rate configurator) is stored on the SiLabs Chip.

This means that you'll have to configure the chip on your onboard USB-Serial bridge and Programming Cable separately.

I hope that was clear enough.

Best regards,
                Michael

Comment

Yes, I understand that the configuration should be made for each CP210x chip connected to the PC.

I am pretty sure that I have some issues with the drivers and/or the baud rate setup.
                  Here is a comparaison from what I get from the 4D Cable, and my onboard CP2102N.

Name:	config.png
Views:	73
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	67070

All the values I get from my onboard chip seem to be messed up. However, the values are always the same (anytime I re-plug the board, I get the same values).
                  I tried setting the 28 lines to the right values, but it did not made any change.
                  The utility offers a "export config", but no "import config", which would have help a lot here ...

I there a way to force the FileTransfer to not change the baud rate, and keep the transfert slow ?
                  Again, my custom board is working fine with the ProgramLoader and the Workshop. I checked on the oscillocpe, and it looks like these are running @ 115200 bauds (measured ~130k)?

Comment

Hello Vincent,

To be honest, I'm not really sure what's causing this.

Have you read this application note from SiLabs?

USBXpress™ DeviceConfiguration and Programming Guide
                    https://www.silabs.com/documents/pub...otes/AN721.pdf

Additionally, may I know what CP2102N module you're using?

If this is a custom board, would it be possible to share the schematic diagram here?

Best regards,
                    Last edited by michael_4D; 15th February 2019, 11:09 AM.
                    Michael

Comment

Here is a part of the schematic.
                      I checked a lot of stuff, but the schematic is not that complex.
                      J11 (and J28) is where I connect the 4D Cable when I bypass the onboard CP2102N. The difference then, is that the onboard CP2102N is powered through a voltage regulator (not show here), and the 4D Cable is self-powered from +5V USB.

Again, I am very confused that it works fine with the Workshop, but not this utility. Could it be possible to get this utility limited to the same baud rate at the Workshop ? (which i assume is 115200).
                      As far as I can see, as soon as it detects the Diablo16, it automatically tries to switch to 2.1M, without asking if I want to.

My goal is to use the utility to transfert small files (less than 1Mo), so speed is not a big problem.

Name:	shcematic.png
Views:	65
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	67101

Comment

Hello Vincent,

Could it be possible to get this utility limited to the same baud rate at the Workshop ?

Name:	baud change.png
Views:	76
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	67126

You can change this by clicking on the baudrate dropdown arrow, selecting your desired baud rate and then clicking on the refresh button.

Additionally, this thread might provide additional insight:

24PTU picaso display not able to download code using USB to Serial CP2102 cable
                        https://forum.4dsystems.com.au/node/66277
                        Michael

Comment

I noticed that you are using a 2N7002 FET instead of a bipolar transistor MMBT3904 in the DTR reset circuit. I wonder if that is causing the problem since they will behave differently in this circuit.

I wound up using the 20 pin version of the CP2102N and missed the DTR reset signal, so I am now changing to the 24 pin version which has the DTR reset signal. I'm hoping that the 4D workshop is compatible with the CP2102N which I haven't seen anyone confirm yet.

So can anyone confirm that the CP2102N-24pin is compatible with the CP2104 and will work with the 4D Workshop?
                          Thanks

Comment

The first post has been updated to include Ftr10 which has replaced the original file.

FileTransfer now supports command line parameters and the ability to limit the maximum baud rate at which the transfer will be done.

To limit the baud rate set it in the 'Baud Rate' combobox before clicking 'Connect'

To see the available parameters run with /? as the parameter.
                            Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ESPsupport View Post
                              The first post has been updated to include Ftr10 which has replaced the original file.

FileTransfer now supports command line parameters and the ability to limit the maximum baud rate at which the transfer will be done.

To limit the baud rate set it in the 'Baud Rate' combobox before clicking 'Connect'

To see the available parameters run with /? as the parameter.
                              Awesome ! I can now choose to remain at 115200, which solves the problem I described above ! Don't know what was causing the issue, but it now works !
                              Thanks you guys !

Comment

Working...
                              X