File Transfer over serial (Programming) cable Utility

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello 4D Team,

Any chance to get some source code/documentation of the FileTransfer.exe tool, in order to be able to develop a custom version ?

Comment

Both ends are quite complex.

The Windows end will not be made available. (It needs to work out such things as the USB to serial converter chip, so that it can optimise/set the transfer sizes tor best throughput)

There are similar issues at the Display end, in this case the amount of available memory on the display dictates how the transfer can optimised. So the size of the program, and in the case of Picaso, whether it is running from RAM or Flash needs to be taken into account. This also needs to be accommodated in the Windows program.

Also, the Windows program loads the program dynamically, as you may be aware this algorithm is only available under NDA.

At the moment the Display version of the programs are not commented well enough to be put in the public domain.

If they were documented better you should be able to write a controller end program to drive them.

So the question is which processor are you after the source code for, and will that be enough? (eg if you were just going to add part of it to an existing program, it would appear to be enough)

Mark

Comment

Hi,

I the end, what would be the best for me, is a simplified version of this tool, so that I can transfert some small text files to the SD card.

Transfering from display to computer, Baud rate adjustement and Console output (in the center of the window) are not necessary.

I am working with Diablo16. My target will always be same, with the same usb/serial chip : all optimizations can be hardcoded.
        Also, since the file I need to transfer are rather small (at least, at the moment), I can deal with low speed transfer.

Comment

Hi ESPsupport,

Any news on this matter ?
          I can understand that this is not in your priorities at the moment, I just need to know.
          I will very soon need my customer to update some files on the SD, I want to know if I can expect to have "custom" version of the tool, or if I should stick with the current version of FileTransfer.exe (that works totaly fine, but is just not very user-friendly for non-programmers).

Thanks.

Comment

Um, why not just use the command line options?

Just Create a bat file with all the 'unneeded' options fixed.

Use the various batch options to collect the needed options.
            Mark

Comment

I actually can not manage to get the command line to work.

I tried a couple of stuff, but I always get the same error.

Here is an example of what I tried to send a file, and did not work.
              Code:
              FileTransfer "C:\Users\toto\Downloads\Ftr10\myFile.X" /b115200 /cCOM3 /s
              This seem ok, but he is what I get :

Click image for larger version

Name:	Error message.png
Views:	28
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	68475

Am I missing something ? Or is there something missing in the list of parameters ?

Comment

The DisplayFile was not optional, this was to ensure you knew what the destination file would be called, and not obfuscated amongst long to short filename conversion. I have changed it to use the windows short filename, if no filename is specified.
                Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ESPsupport View Post
                  The DisplayFile was not optional, this was to ensure you knew what the destination file would be called, and not obfuscated amongst long to short filename conversion. I have changed it to use the windows short filename, if no filename is specified.
                  It now works with the newest version (Ftr102). Thanks.

I now would like to send several files from a single command.
                  I stored all my file path into an external .txt file, and used the following command.

Code:
                  FileTransfer $"C:\Users\toto\Downloads\Ftr102\myFiles.txt" /b115200 /cCOM3 /s /q /w
                  Where myFiles.txt contains:
                  Code:
                  "C:\Users\toto\Downloads\Ftr102\aaaa.txt"
                  "C:\Users\toto\Downloads\Ftr102\bbbb.txt"
                  "C:\Users\toto\Downloads\Ftr102\cccc.txt"
                  It does work. However, I am getting a confirmation pop-up windows before the begining of transfer, for every file.
                  Since I am planing to send over 100 small files, this is bit annoying.

When sending multiple files using the UI, I only get one big confirmation windows, that makes me choose if I want to overwrite, Ignore, Cancel ...

Is there a way to launch the program with no confirmation window ? Or, just a single confirmation windows before the entire transfert (and not before the transfert of each file).
                  I am begining with command lines, so I might be missing something here.

Also, when sending multiple files, the screen does not reboot after the transfert completion. It's not that much of a problem, but it would be a nice addon.

Thanks.

Last edited by Vincent44; Yesterday, 02:35 AM.

Comment

Hi Vincent,

I wont be able to get to this for a few days, but I have some comments that may help.

/q should make it completely quiet, unless there are errors, so the fact that you are getting popups make me think that the multiple file option still requires both source and destination filenames.

The lack of reboot may be due to the suspected errors.
                    Mark

Comment

I Mark,

Thanks for your feedback. I guess I will wait a bit then.
                      For the record, here is what I tried so far. It might help you somehow.

All using Ftr102.

For every path, I tried with both quotes "" and no quotes, just be sure.

Case 1 (see previous message) :

Code:
                      FileTransfer $"C:\Users\v\Downloads\Ftr102\myFiles.txt" /b115200 /cCOM3 /Q /s
                      Where myFiles.txt contains
                      Code:
                      "C:\Users\v\Downloads\Ftr102\aaaa.txt"
                      "C:\Users\v\Downloads\Ftr102\bbbb.txt"
                      "C:\Users\v\Downloads\Ftr102\cccc.txt"

Case 2 :
                      Code:
                      FileTransfer $"C:\Users\toto\Downloads\Ftr102\myFiles.txt" /b115200 /cCOM3 /Q /s
                      Code:
                      C:\Users\v\Downloads\Ftr102\aaaa.txt aaaa.txt
                      C:\Users\v\Downloads\Ftr102\bbbb.txt bbbb.txt
                      C:\Users\v\Downloads\Ftr102\cccc.txt cccc.txt
                      Case 3 :
                      Code:
                      FileTransfer $"C:\Users\v\Downloads\Ftr102\myFiles.txt" $"C:\Users\v.gaulon_2\Downloads\Ftr102\myNames.txt" /b115200 /cCOM3 /Q /s
                      Code:
                      "C:\Users\v\Downloads\Ftr102\aaaa.txt"
                      "C:\Users\v\Downloads\Ftr102\bbbb.txt"
                      "C:\Users\v\Downloads\Ftr102\cccc.txt"
                      and myNames.txt contains
                      Code:
                      aaaa.txt
                      bbbb.txt
                      cccc.txt
                      Case 4 : Transfering a single file
                      Tried both
                      Code:
                      FileTransfer "C:\Users\v\Downloads\Ftr102\aaaa.txt"  /b115200 /cCOM3 /Q /s
                      and
                      Code:
                      FileTransfer "C:\Users\v\Downloads\Ftr102\aaaa.txt" aaaa.txt /b115200 /cCOM3 /Q /s

All the cases above provide the same result :
                      - Transfering the file to the screen works fine
                      - No reboot affter completion
                      - I get a pop-up windows before the transfert of every file
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X