• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigtim
    replied
    Originally posted by Eran View Post
    Tim,

It's nice to know that you have appreciated the magic codes. Truly, it has the capabilities that would allow you to build your project easier. Actually, other than the magic codes, you could also have access on Smart widgets which is a very interesting feature of the pro version.

Good luck to your project and enjoy building!

Eran
    Eran, interesting you mention the smart widgets. With smart widgets is it possible to create a listbox type object? For part of my application it would be very nice if I could use the Arduino to populate a list box and then have the user select an option on the display and pass the result back to the Arduino.

Leave a comment:

• Bigtim
    replied
    Eran, just another couple of questions if I may before I press the button on the pro version.

I presume if I build a project in visi-genie pro, I can still communicate with the display using the genieArduino library? So I'd like to do all the clever stuff in the display using magic code and then still be able to 'send' the result to the Arduino and equally use the Arduino to bring up various screens within the display.

Also, is the pro version a single user license? it would be useful for my development partner to be able to look at and use the files I create is this possible or is there a 2 user licence available?

Leave a comment:

• Eran
    replied
    Tim,

It's nice to know that you have appreciated the magic codes. Truly, it has the capabilities that would allow you to build your project easier. Actually, other than the magic codes, you could also have access on Smart widgets which is a very interesting feature of the pro version.

Good luck to your project and enjoy building!

Eran

Leave a comment:

• Bigtim
    replied
    Originally posted by Eran View Post
    Hello Tim,

Welcome to the forum!

Visi-Genie allows the communication between the display and the Arduino. Using the standard means for your project, it is not possible to implement the features that you want to achieve. This is because in Visi-Genie environment, the string widget can't be 'touched'.

However, utilizing the other widgets in the environment can make your project possible. The technique would be putting a userbutton on 'top' of the string object and allow the userbutton to send "report message" message to the Arduino. The Arduino should then interpret the message and send a genie.WriteStr command back to the corresponding string to show the pressed-in values. All other algorithms should all then be handled by the Arduino in conjunction with the display's "report message" events. In this setup, whenever the userbutton is pressed while the string object has a stored value, the string will also be cleared and you can start pressing-in the value once again. (You may try the attached example as reference)

Another means of implementing your project is using the Magic codes(Available in the pro version). You mentioned that you don't want "going down a rabbit hole", but your project could be implemented much easier using this option. This method will allow you to put a code in your Visi-Genie environment that will detect if the region containing the string object is pressed and perform additional routines. Also using ViSi-Genie magic can help you reduce cost by eliminating the use for a host controller.

Hope it helps and Regards,

Eran
    Hi Eran, thank you so much for the comprehensive answer and the sample you kindly attached. I think your advice to go the Pro route sounds very sensible. I did a little research on the magic codes and this sounds like an excellent combination of ease of development and flexibility.

I am looking to keep the logic in the Arduino as simple as possible (mainly because its pretty busy doing other stuff such as servicing footswitches, scribble strips oled screens and handling midi in and out.) so I think the Magic code stuff will really help achieve that.

Leave a comment:

• Eran
    replied
    Hello Tim,

Welcome to the forum!

Visi-Genie allows the communication between the display and the Arduino. Using the standard means for your project, it is not possible to implement the features that you want to achieve. This is because in Visi-Genie environment, the string widget can't be 'touched'.

However, utilizing the other widgets in the environment can make your project possible. The technique would be putting a userbutton on 'top' of the string object and allow the userbutton to send "report message" message to the Arduino. The Arduino should then interpret the message and send a genie.WriteStr command back to the corresponding string to show the pressed-in values. All other algorithms should all then be handled by the Arduino in conjunction with the display's "report message" events. In this setup, whenever the userbutton is pressed while the string object has a stored value, the string will also be cleared and you can start pressing-in the value once again. (You may try the attached example as reference)

Another means of implementing your project is using the Magic codes(Available in the pro version). You mentioned that you don't want "going down a rabbit hole", but your project could be implemented much easier using this option. This method will allow you to put a code in your Visi-Genie environment that will detect if the region containing the string object is pressed and perform additional routines. Also using ViSi-Genie magic can help you reduce cost by eliminating the use for a host controller.

Hope it helps and Regards,

Eran
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Bigtim
    started a topic Keyboard Object Question

Keyboard Object Question

Hi All

Sorry if this is a dumb newbie question (attempting my first project!)

So what I am trying to do is construct a message that has two parts (its a midi message) such that it can eventually be sent to my Arduino.

What I'd like my user to do is touch select one of two three digit 'string' objects and then via a cellphone style keyboard object enter some numeric data to the last selected string object.

I'd then like an 'enter' button which looks at the contents of the two string objects and constructs a message containing the two values and sends it out to my Arduino.

Can this be done in a visi-genie project. So far as far as I can see, the keyboard objects cannot update string objects directly in a visi-genie project so I'm guessing the answer is no and I'll have to do is in code as a visi project?

Any help to avoid me going down a rabbit hole would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Tim

Working...
X