Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some IDE questions

Hi,
    I wonder if it is possible to improve some features of IDE Designer (at least they happen to me):
    1. Dangerous Undo/Redo commands. If you have been making a lot of changes in the code, when you use 'Undo' some times can occur unpredictables things (deleting parts of the code not desired, changing cursor position to where you don't want to, etc)
    2. To have the option not saving the project until you really want. Now, it does automatically when you compile, and sometimes you have made a lot of changes and don't want to save before you are sure it works fine.
    3. Even if you choose a short name for the project (less than 8 characters, for instance: TRIAL) it adds an uncomfortable TRIAL~1 to the files. Not very useful to work with files names, etc.
    Best regards, and thank you for your work.

Hello,

Thank you for your opinion and recommendations. The addition of the '~1' is to ensure that the filename generated is unique, this usually happens if another project with a similar filename is created prior to the creation of a new one. Regarding the saving/compiling "issue", the files need to be saved so you'll have a reference for the current state of the program. This is also done on other popular IDEs like Arduino, you could use git (https://git-scm.com) to create a "restore point" for your projects. As for the undo/redo, this is very hard to pinpoint as this happens randomly. Rest assured, our team is continuously working on finding ways to improve the IDE.

Best Regards,
    Michael
    Michael

Comment

Hi, Michael. Thank you for the answers. I'm sure you're working hard to improve the IDE. I'll check the GIT option to work with backups.
      Best regards,
      Jose Luis

Comment

It's windows that does the ~1 stuff.

To stop it doing this save the filename as 8.3 in UPPERCASE. Also note that with some settings of the 'file system' Windows might even start filling in filenames less than 8 characters with hex numbers. You are the first to comment on this though, if you can give some specific examples we can try and work out why Windows has done the 'renaming' in a specific case.

The undo/redo thing is a pain, especially since we have never been able to work out a specific way to trigger the issue such that we can debug it, and it never seems to happen when we try to make it happen.

Many IDE's force a save before a compile, there are pluses and minuses to this, we feel the pluses outweigh the minuses. We do allow 'undos before save'.
        Mark

Comment

Hi Mark.
          It is not in Windows but into Workshop IDE. The problem is with DAT and GCI files (Create a new 4DSystems Project-4Duino-Extended Graphics). It respects the name of the project I choose, but when compiling assigns these names this way:
          2 examples:
          Name of the project: Trial (or TRIAL)........hndl = Display.file_LoadImageControl("TRIAL~1.dat", "TRIAL~1.gci", 1);
          Name of the project: Intruder (same happens with INTRUDER).........hndl = Display.file_LoadImageControl("INTRUD~1.dat", "INTRUD~1.gci", 1);
          Last edited by jlsogorb; 21st May 2018, 02:38 AM.

Comment

Hmm, if I do the same thing I get TRIAL and INTRUDER.

What is the filesystem type on the drive your project lives in?

Does this happen if you start with an empty folder?

Can you go to an admin mode command prompt and type
            Code:
            fsutil 8dot3name query c:
            Replace C with whatever disk the project lives on.

Also do a
            Code:
            dir /x
            of the project folder
            Mark

Comment

Interesting.
              What is the filesystem type on the drive your project lives in?
              Both, Workshop IDE and projects folder are in the same drive (where Win10 is installed): NTFS

Does this happen if you start with an empty folder?
              Yes , it happens the same.

Can you go to an admin mode command prompt and type
              Code:
              fsutil 8dot3name query c:

The volume state for Disable8dot3 is 0 (8dot3 name creation is enabled).
              The registry state is 2, the default (Volume level setting).
              Based on the above two settings, 8dot3 name creation is enabled on c:.

Also do a 'dir /x' of the project folder.
              Code:
              20/05/2018  18:12    <DIR>                       .
              20/05/2018  18:12    <DIR>                       ..
              20/05/2018  18:12             1.053 INTRUD~1.4DA       Intruder.4dArdUsd
              20/05/2018  18:12             5.194 INTRUD~1.4DI        Intruder.4Dino
              20/05/2018  18:12    <DIR>          INTRUD~1.4DW     Intruder.4DWork
              20/05/2018  18:12             4.723                            Intruder.ino
              20/05/2018  18:12               306 INTRUD~1.H      IntruderConst.h

Thank you.

Comment

Ahh, you are using the Arduino Environment.

So, since the extension is 'always' greater than 3 windows will always create Long Filenames, and thus introduce the ~1 part.

The second last 'column' in the dir/x is the Windows generated short filename.
                Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ESPsupport View Post
                  Ahh, you are using the Arduino Environment.
                  So, since the extension is 'always' greater than 3 windows will always create Long Filenames, and thus introduce the ~1 part.
                  The second last 'column' in the dir/x is the Windows generated short filename.
                  Yes, I have solved changing 8.3 file names creation in Windows, with:
                  Code:
                  fsutil.exe behavior set disable8dot3 1
                  If I haven't any problems with another softwares, I'll keep it this way.
                  Thanks .

Comment

Hmm, that just forces Workshop to generate 8.3 names as Windows is no longer doing it. Hopefully it will continue to work for you.
                    Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ESPsupport View Post
                      Hmm, that just forces Workshop to generate 8.3 names as Windows is no longer doing it. Hopefully it will continue to work for you.
                      Yes, this is the result of a 'dir/x' now
                      Code:
                      23/05/2018  14:42    <DIR>                       .
                      23/05/2018  14:42    <DIR>                       ..
                      23/05/2018  14:42             1.053              Intruder.4dArdUsd
                      23/05/2018  14:42             5.194              Intruder.4Dino
                      23/05/2018  14:42    <DIR>                       Intruder.4DWork
                      23/05/2018  14:42             4.723              Intruder.ino
                      23/05/2018  14:42               306              IntruderConst.h

Comment

Working...
                      X