Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SmartGauge disappears when display powered off-on or after quitting Workshop IDE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SmartGauge disappears when display powered off-on or after quitting Workshop IDE

After four successful widgets, the 5th and 6th ones has revealed some anomalies. One is 103 x 12 pixels and it is loosing the top 3 or 4 horizontal lines when displayed. The second one is 99 x 5 and completely disappears.

After a lot of testing, here is what I have found:

The widgets display and operate correctly in the SmartWidget editor. When first created and the editor is closed with save, they display in the Workshop window correctly.

When the software for the new widget is first loaded onto the SD and flash, the 50DCT-CLB works correctly. The widgets function as designed and as in the editor.

If the display is reset, both widgets continues to work correctly. But if the display is powered off, then back on, the 5 pix widget will no longer displays or respond to software commands. And when it stops responding, the next line of code that writes to a string field no longer works. Also, the 12 pix widget seems to still respond correctly to software after reediting. These widgets will open and work correctly in the Smart editor, but after this first disappearance, they refuses to show on the Workshop display screen or on the 50DCT-CLB correctly.

Then I built another same sized widget (5 pix high x 99 pix wide) with only the background png as a single frame with no layers. The results were the same as with the complete widget. However, the 12 pixel high widget still displays after a power cycle and in Workshop but looses 3 or 4 pixels from the top edge.

When any of these widgets are opened again in the SmartWidget editor, everything appears and works correctly.

So, it appears that the problem is related to horizontal widgets of small size and can be replicated with a single background png. The editor no longer displays the skinny widgets correctly after Workshop is saved, quit and relaunched. And the 50DCT-CLB will not display these two correctly after a power cycle.

The other 4 widgets have shown none of these anomalies. Perhaps because they are all at least 16 pix high?? Any ideas here as to what is going on???

Thanks,
    Scott
    Scott

Hello Scott,

I can't seem to reproduce the issue on my end. Once the widgets are built, they are loaded as a .gci file in the sd card so they should appear even after a complete power cycle.
    Would you mind sending us your project as well as a video demonstrating your issue? This will further help us determine what could be its cause.

Best Regards,
    Kimberly
    Last edited by Kimberly; 23rd June 2018, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Hello,

I forgot to inform: all 7 widgets are SmartGauge widgets, output only, no touch enabled. Currently set up for external physical buttons on GPIO's.

The faulty widget does actually "appear" in that you can click on the spot where it should be in the Workshop display and the outline appears. You can then open the SmartWidget editor and everything appears and functions normally. However, it appears transparent as I can only see the background color where the widget should be on both the Workshop display and the physical display. It acts as if 100% transparent yet was created with full opacity on each layer. As I noted above, this only happens after it is first created, loaded onto a display, then power cycled. Before power cycling the display, it works as intended. Before saving and quitting Workshop, it appears in the mockup display just fine.

The software commands execute without crashing anything, yet it just doesn't show itself when the screen powers up. The other five widgets display and operate perfectly. All widgets are fully opaque for performance.

I can delete the defective widget, recreate it from scratch, load onto a display and everything works until I power cycle the display. I first noticed this problem when loading the new widgets onto a second display which required powering down to swap displays onto our test fixture. While the skinny widget remained transparent, I created another 18 pixel high widget that also worked properly after multiple power cycles. This seems to eliminate some sort of corruption.

Are you testing widgets with only 5 pixels height?? Anything 18 pixels (what I have built so far) and taller work just fine - no transparency issues. A 12 pixel widget looses the top few lines to transparency, the lower part of the widget displays fine. The same top few lines are transparent also in Workshop after closing and reopening the project.

Please note that within the Workshop IDE, the exact same symptoms appear. Everything works fine until I quit Workshop. When I reopen the project, the skinny widget is there and fully editable, it is just transparent with only the outline visible when selecting it. Moving it to a new location on the form has no effect. Once it is invisible, I have yet to get it visible again in the Workshop "display" regardless of what I change in the SmartWidget editor. The other five widgets always retain whatever frame was displayed in the editor when viewed on the Workshop display.

What catches my attention is that the Workshop display and the 50DCT-CLB behave exactly the same. Restart/power either makes ONLY the skinny (5 pix high) widgets fully transparent.

I cannot send the project to you as it is a fully self-containd display program with over 1000 lines of Magic code and 150 objects on a form. I will have to see if I can create a separate project that duplicates this. I can send screen shots from Workshop which should help since it is completely repeatable. Proprietary and non-disclosable. Need private e-mail.

Thanks,
      Scott
      Scott

Comment

Hello again Scott,

You can send your project via https://www.4dsystems.com.au/support or you can email me here: [email protected].
        If your project is too big, you can upload it to any cloud-based storage such as dropbox and send me the link instead.
        Rather than screenshots, a screen recording would be a more helpful choice.

Best Regards,
        Kimberly

Comment

Hello, again,

Ok, I was able to duplicate the problem with only two SmartGauge widgets (a third working one added for reference) and three lines of code in a new project.
          The zipped project: Widget Test Dispaly.zip

The first two skinny gauges appear exactly the same in this test project as they do in our fully configured project. The first two widgets (Preamp Tune and Preamp Gain) are not displaying correctly. For a reference, I added one of our 5 other working widgets (Sig Bars) that displays correctly.

Please let me know what to do to get these working in our project.

Thanks,
          Scott
          Scott

Comment

Hi Scott,

I made another SmartGauge no 3 and just did it how I would do it and it works ok. I think I understand the Hide part but didn't include it in this example but maybe you could see if you can include it in slider 3.

Let me know if this is different to how you would like it to operate.

Best regards

Paul
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the response. Something is still not right. When I open your example as is (with no hide feature), SmartGauge3 does not appear on screen, yet I can select and edit it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Widget Test Dispaly Display Screen.png
Views:	42
Size:	2.8 KB
ID:	64187

Hopefully, you can clearly see, its either only showing its own blue background and not the bar graph layer, or its transparent, or its showing up somewhere else. But I hope it is clear now, its not displaying the way it does in the widget editor.

Perhaps you missed my descriptions in posts above. It works fine the first time you edit it and show it on a display. But after even just closing Workshop (not just the widget editor - closing the IDE) it will not reappear after relaunching the project in Workshop. The above screen shot was taken right after Workshop launched.

The following screen from my computer shows the whole environment:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 11.25.13 AM.png
Views:	27
Size:	326.4 KB
ID:	64190

It doesn't seem possible that my development environment would cause certain skinny widgets to not work in both the Workshop IDE and on the Gen4 display. Yet all the larger widgets work fine.

What is going on here???

Scott
              Attached Files
              Scott

Comment

Hi Scott,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I have attached a .exe file for you that our Mark has provided which fixes the problem.

You will have to copy this file into your C:\Program Files (x86)\4D Labs\4D Workshop 4 IDE directory, overwriting the .exe file that is already there. Make sure you have closed down Workshop first.

Best regards

Paul
                Attached Files

Comment

Hi Paul,

Thank you all for the speedy repair. This fixed the problem.

Scott
                  Scott

Comment

Working...
                  X