Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gomania
    replied
    I am trying on Debian jessie Lite. It gets stuck. Doesn't boot.

We already know firmware for Buster doesn't work with lite version.

I guess I'll be waiting for lite version to come out.

Thanks,
    Last edited by Gomania; 1st August 2019, 04:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• John Kevin
    replied
    Hello Gomania,

Have you tried to use the latest 4D kernel patch which is compatible with Raspbian Buster?
    I tried to run it on a 4DPI-32 HW Rev. 1.3 and it is working fine.

Here is my setup:

4DPi Display: 4DPi-32 HW Rev. 1.3

Raspberry Pi: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

4DPi Kernel Version: gen4-hats_4-19-57-v7l+_v1.0.tar.gz

Raspberry Pi Version: July 2019 (Raspbian Buster with desktop)

You can manually download the file using this link:
    Code:
    http://4dsystems.com.au/downloads/4DPi/All/gen4-hats_4-19-57-v7l+_v1.0.tar.gz

Or download it on the Raspberry Pi terminal using the wget command
    Code:
    wget http://4dsystems.com.au/downloads/4DPi/All/gen4-hats_4-19-57-v7l+_v1.0.tar.gz
    Then install the package
    Code:
    sudo tar -xzvf gen4-hats_4-19-57-v7l+_v1.0.tar.gz -C /
    Since 4DPi-32 rev1xx doesn't have an EEPROM, you need to manually modify the content of /boot/config.txt
    Code:
    sudo nano /boot/config.txt
    Find and uncomment the line #dtoverlay=4dpi-32
    ​​​​​​​
    Code:
    # uncomment one of the overlays if loading from EEPROM is not supported
    dtoverlay=4dpi-32
    #dtoverlay=4dpi-35
    #dtoverlay=24-hat
    #dtoverlay=32-hat
    #dtoverlay=35-hat
    You should be able to boot the display. Touch on display is working as well.

I hope this helps.
    ​​​​​​​
    Best regards,
    Kevin

Leave a comment:

• Gomania
    replied
    Hello,

I am trying to use 4DPi32v1 on Raspi3B touch screen doesn't work.

i tried following firmwares:

4d-hats_4-4-21_v1.0.tar.gz --> this one is working with 4DPi32v1 on RasPi3
    4d-hats_4-4-34_v1.1.tar.gz --> this one is working for RasPi3B+ but not on Raspi3B

also edited /etc/modules
    Code:
    4dpi_touch # uncommented this
    also edited /boot/config.txt
    Code:
    dtoverlay=4dpi-32 # uncommented this

dtparam=i2c0 # also tried uncommenting this one
    Could you help which firmware version required for Raspi3B with 4DPi32v1 to get touch screen to work?

Leave a comment:

• Jan Polzer
    replied
    Hi James, thanks a lot. It seems working so far with full Buster.

Leave a comment:

• James_4DSystems
    replied
    Here is a pre-release Kernel Pack for the Buster Desktop release from July 2019. It is not working for Lite yet it seems, but hopefully there will be an update soon.
    Please note the /download link as per the datasheet is not working currently, we are actively trying to resolve this.
    For now, you can download the Pre-Release kernel pack from the product pages on the website.
    Kernel 4-19-57

Here is a temporary direct link
    https://4dsystems.com.au/mwdownloads...d/link/id/715/

Leave a comment:

• James_4DSystems
    replied
    Its with final testing now. All going well so far. Hopefully monday/tuesday release.
    Should work with current July release of Raspian on all Pis.

Leave a comment:

• Jan Polzer
    replied
    Hello James, any news about it? Is there any chance it will work with RPi 3 and current Raspbian with 4.19 kernel? It works with current driver for 4.14 partially only. The display is live but keyboards nor mice doesn't work. Only the touchscreen and ssh.

Leave a comment:

• James_4DSystems
    replied
    Hello,
    The Pi4 release Kernel Pack will be coming out soon, we are just waiting for our Pi4 to arrive, then development can happen and a release will be made available.
    Please wait a few more days, and hopefully we will have something then.

Leave a comment:

• Gomania
    replied
    Hello, I just received RaspBerry Pi 4B which only runs on Debian Buster.

I couldn't manage to make it work with 4d-hats_4-4-34_v1.1.tar.gz 4DPI-32-rev2 screen

Do you think it is still working?

On RasPi 3B+ with Debian Buster hat screen works only if both HDMI and hat is on.

On 4B with Debian Buster hat doesn't work at all.

Could you help?
    Last edited by Gomania; 9th July 2019, 10:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• John Kevin
    replied
    Hello,

I have managed to get a 4DPi-32 (Hardware Rev. 1.3) and have successfully boot the display. I could also confirm that the touch is working on this module.

Here is my setup:

4DPi Display: 4DPi-32 HW Rev. 1.3

Raspberry Pi: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

4DPi Kernel Version: gen4-hats_4-14-34_v1.1.tar.gz

Raspberry Pi Version: November 2018

The latest 4DPi version i've seen from browsing 4DPi-32_datasheet_R_1_6.pdf where 4d-hats_4-4-34_v1.1.tar.gz is latest? Can you confirm so I can update to the most recent possible? I do see that this was written in 2017.
    We have updated the datasheet on our website, can you please check and follow again the instructions on the Software Download/Installation section.

4DPi-32
    4DPi-35
    gen4-4DPi

I saw the comment above from John Kevin and uncommented dtoverlay=4dpi-32
    May I ask if you are using the 4DPi-32 on your current setup?

I have two 1.02 version 4DPi-24-HAT screens.
    You can check the datasheet for 4DPi-24-HAT. Please follow the setup procedure and post here the result.

Let me know if that helps.

Best Regards,
    Kevin
    Last edited by John Kevin; 24th May 2019, 02:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• b3hr3ns
    replied
    Thank you James,
    I understand that it would be tedious to update for every minor release. Is there an area where we can see the latest documenation that contains the latest compatable RPI image in comparison to the latest tar.gz?
    The latest 4DPi version i've seen from browsing 4DPi-32_datasheet_R_1_6.pdf where 4d-hats_4-4-34_v1.1.tar.gz is latest? Can you confirm so I can update to the most recent possible? I do see that this was written in 2017.
    If i were to also make a ticket to request a later update for a major release (forgive me) where would be the best possible place to do so?

Thanks once again for the prompt response and detailed info!

Edit to add info:
    I realize from other posts that you might not have any more version 1.xx for testing. will this be a problem in getting updated documentation for the latest raspbian w/kernel 4.14? I have two 1.02 version 4DPi-24-HAT screens. And maybe if there was a possibility that the developer were able to give some basic instructions on how to build the tar.gz based on new kernels I would gladly attempt to do this myself and share it on the forums here for users who still have this great hardware, but want/need upgrades for security etc.

HUGE Thanks!!
    Last edited by b3hr3ns; 24th May 2019, 10:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• James_4DSystems
    replied
    Doing an update/upgrade runs the risk of breaking things as if the version you are upgrading to is a higher kernel version than the patch, then the display could stop working. The Kernel patch we offer is a patch on the standard release, so it has to match the same kernel version as what your OS is running. In some cases, the changes in our patches are compatible with minor releases of the kernel, but it's a bit hit and miss, so if you are upgrading you really need to check what the kernel version is you have upgraded to, and then check what version our patch is.
    If they are drastically different, then raise a ticket and we will try and get an updated kernel patch as soon as possible, however, we can't constantly do this for every minor release the Pi Foundation make.

I am not sure this will help you much, but its some background information which is quite important.

Leave a comment:

• b3hr3ns
    replied
    Hello again,
    Just adding another note:
    I went back and tried a previous version: (gen4-hats_4-14-34_v1.1.tar.gz). Then after running sudo tar -xzvf gen4-hats_4-14-34_v1.1.tar.gz -C /, I uncommented dtoverlay=4dpi-32, safely powered off the Pi and attached the hat, before reapplying power and I still get the same results.. I have verified my 5v is ~5.02v which seems to be another cause of issues for the Pi in-general.

Once again, thank you for your assistance!

Leave a comment:

• b3hr3ns
    replied
    Hello there,

I found this thread after once getting the screen to work and did apt-get update/upgrade for which there was many, then after a reboot, the screen still came on but the usb and ethernet ports do not function. Touch screen works so I was able to shutdown properly. I saw the comment above from John Kevin and uncommented dtoverlay=4dpi-32, the applied power to the Pi. I found that the screens backlight illuminates, but goes not further. The Pi shows a green light for a brief moment then nothing. HDMI, when applied only shows a perpetuated underline cursor, non-blinking.

I greatly appreciate any response and it's very nice to see that there are still recent responses from 4dSystems for this product. Thank you once again in advance!!

RPI 3 B+ using package http://www.4dsystems.com.au/download...35_v1.0.tar.gz with screen: rev 1.02.

Leave a comment:

• John Kevin
    replied
    Hello gomania,

I am sorry for the delayed response.

As I do not have any spare 4DPi-32 rev 1xx, I could not possibly point out if you have an issue on your module.

Supposedly, the touch on 4DPi-32 should work as it is working on 4DPi-35.

Best Regards,
    Kevin
    Last edited by John Kevin; 24th May 2019, 01:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X