Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie Instructions on loading 4DS created display onto RPI - Car CANBUS Display

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Instructions on loading 4DS created display onto RPI - Car CANBUS Display

Hello Forum,

I am eventually trying to create a series of intelligent displays for my car, they will substitute stock gauges and consequently I am quite keen to use the 4DS designer software.

I would appreciate if somebody could point me in the right direction in order to define what type of display to work on and how to launch it on a Pi using a 4DS screen as primary display.

Thank you

Andrew.

Hi Andrew, welcome to the forum!

There are two ways that I can suggest.
    • 4D Systems Display (gen4 or uLCD) <-------> RasPi
    In this setup, you can use any display of the desired variant (resistive or capacitive) as a slave device for the RasPi. Since the display is set up as a slave, it should be programmed using Workshop4.

Note: You can not display the output of the OS in this setup.

Display modules:
    http://www.4dsystems.com.au/group/Whats_New
    https://www.4dsystems.com.au/group/4...isplay_Modules
    • Raspberry Pi Display Modules
    In this case, the display module acts as the primary display for RasPi. It will output the OS screen same as using HDMI or Composite outputs.

Note: The display output is dependent on the OS of the RasPi.

Display modules:
    http://www.4dsystems.com.au/group/Ra...isplay_Modules

Hope this will help and best regards,

Vince_4D

Comment

Thank you Vince, I think the hardware side is reasonably clear. I have an understanding on how to read CANBUS (I use an AU ECU from MoTeC). The difficulty I have is on the very basic application of a design, say a temp guage, and the scripts needed to run it in Raspbian Stretch, and lastly how to read a floating integer to display as temperature.

In a similar design (lets ignore the ECU side), let's say I wanted to use a 4D display to output the temperature as read by a BMP280 module on one of the GPIOs.

Regards,

Andrew.

Comment

Hi Andrew,

very basic application of a design, say a temp guage, and the scripts needed to run it in Raspbian Stretch
        Let me clarify the following points:
        • Displaying with Raspbian OS needs Raspberry Pi Display module
        • The Raspberry Pi display module is not programmable with Workshop4
        • The Raspberry Pi display module only serves as a primary display for RasPi hence, dependent on RasPi's OS (in your case Raspbian)
        So, to output a temp gauge in this setup, the program must be done on the OS side.
        In this case, I would suggest that you refer to the RasPi community to implement what you intended to do. They can offer you the best solutions on this matter.

But I can give you some pointers to implement your project.
        Create the GUI using either of the commonly used module GTK or QT
        The modules are available in many programming languages but the commonly used are Python and C++.
        With that, the routine for CANBUS communication as well reading the temperature will be done in the selected programming language.

Hope this will help.

Best regards,

Last edited by Vince_4D; 18th January 2019, 10:59 AM.
        Vince_4D

Comment

Understood, I think I will have a play with this code in your samples repertoire:

https://github.com/4dsystems/ViSi-Ge...-Demo-Weather/

One more question if I may, can you attach multiple displays to a single RPi?

Thanks.

Comment

Hi,

Based on the linkyou sent, you are planning on setting up your project similar as previously suggested, Option 1: 4D Systems Display (gen4 or uLCD) <-------> RasPi.

On the mentioned setup, yes its possible to use multiple display modules. You will just have to utilize the communication peripherals - UART, SPI, and I2C and configure RasPi as the host.
            Also, note that if you're using ViSi-Genie (not the Magic version) to program each display module, the devices can only communicate via UART communication.

Hope this helps.

BR
            Vince_4D

Comment

Working...
            X