Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is the STOP BIT?

Hey Everybody,

I am using a microLCD-24PTU. I have created a project using Visi-Genie. I powered up the LCD and inserted the microSD card. My project appears and soft buttons that navigate from sheet-to-sheet seem to work just as expected.

Since I am not quite sure what the transmitted data stream looks like, I connected my IKAlogic Scanalogic2 logic analyzer to the TX pin of the microLCD-24PTU. I am specifically looking at Form1 (see attached PNG image). When I press any of the buttons (+, -, 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 9, or 10), I get a couple of bytes transmitted. The second byte is ALWAYS missing the STOP BIT. I tried all of the other buttons and see similar behavior. I have configured the logic analyzer to decode the data stream as a UART, 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, LSB first, and Non-Inverted Logic. I have played around with all of the settings and still cannot make any sense of the data.

What am I missing?

TIA,
    --Neal
    Attached Files
    TIA,

Neal

Hi Neal,

Thank you for posting the information.

Did you create your own serial protocol under the Genie Environment?

Actually, In Genie, the display sends a 6-byte stream to the host during the display's report event (e.g. by pressing a built-in WS4 button and etc.), as discussed on the ViSi-Genie Reference Manual >> 3.1 Genie Standard Protocol on page 5.

If you have time, to compare/test, you can try a simple Fancy button widget then set the OnChanged Event to report message.

Could you give me more information about it? Right now it is somewhat vague and hard to answer.

I will come back when I find the cause.

Best regards,
    Kayven
    Last edited by [email protected]; 4th February 2019, 05:42 PM.

Comment

As an additional to my post,

Please check the baud rate you used. It should be same to both ends.

Comment

Dear Kayven,

I am using the SoftwareSerial library for my Arduino project. I am merely waiting for data. As soon as a data stream appears, I look at the string and decide what to do with it. I only have 9 buttons, so I have a bunch of if-then-else statements to handle the 9 different possibilities. I do have a progress bar and some digits and have not yet decided how I will update these. I may use the genieArduino library.

When I use the Arduino software with the serial monitor, I see 6 bytes transmitted...typically something like "760001". I just wanted to examine this more closely with my IKALogic Scanalogic2 and this is when I started questioning this.

So the baud rate is set to 9600, and the buttons are all set to OnChanged >> Report Message. I will try the Fancy button widget to compare/test. I have reviewed the Visi-Genie Manual section that you have referenced as well.

I will post further results shortly.

Thank You,
        --Neal

TIA,

Neal

Comment

Dear Kayven,

Also, I am just trying to read the raw data from the microLCD-24PTU. I just want to see what the data looks like. So I still am NOT seeing the stop bit.

--Neal
          TIA,

Neal

Comment

Dear Kayven,

I have tried to use different baud rates, changed from non-inverted to inverted, etc...... I cannot see the STOP BIT. It is missing EVERY TIME! I am just trying to look at the raw output from the device. That is all. Why is there no STOP BIT??????????????

TIA,
            --Neal
            TIA,

Neal

Comment

Dear Kayven,

Okay. So I stopped experimenting with my Scanalogic2. I do not think that it is working properly. I have been able to successfully program the screen in just the way that I want and it works pretty well. See my next post.

Thank You,
              --Neal
              TIA,

Neal

Comment

Hi,

Thank you for keep posting and sorry for the delayed response.

I am sure that the ViSi-Genie program uses 8N1 configuration for the serial comm, so it should have a stop bit per byte sent.

If this is the case, it seems that the issue was developed by IKALogic Scanalogic2 and to check your instrument, one way is try it with an arduino.
                Did you try to output 6 byte stream using an Arduino board then see what the serial stream data looks like?
                At this moment, we can think that your IKALogic Scanalogic2 needs some attention before the display.

Also, If you have successfully compare / view the arduino's serial 6 bytes stream without stop bit missing, it appears that there's display issue and one thing that I suspect is, the serial routine used by the genie program.

Best regards,
                Kayven
                Last edited by [email protected]; 6th February 2019, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X