Downloading without having to swap uSD card

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downloading without having to swap uSD card

I'm learning to program the Diablo display using Genie Pro, but when I try and download the program I get a message that I have to use an SD drive in my computer then move it to the display to run it. How do I just download to the display directly into Flash. Is this just not possible? I can't possibly see myself swapping this SD card from the display to the computer and back again just to test out a change in the program. Thanks.

Hello,

Welcome to the forum!

For practical reasons, uSD cards are used to store image files because they are vastly
    larger in terms of storage capacity compared to RAM and Flash memory. As you may already know,
    RAM and Flash is limited, but they are faster compared to uSD cards that's why they are
    used to store your program by default.

The uSD card will be used store your image files. As for the program itself, depending
    on your chosen setting, will either run from RAM or Flash memory. The uSD card may also be
    used to store the program if you prefer. WS4 will create a 4XE file for you which you can transfer
    via Serial using the File Transfer utility(link below) as it is usually a lot smaller
    in size compared to GCI files.

"How do I just download to the display directly into Flash. Is this just not possible?"
    Please check this thread if you want to transfer your image files without
    having to remove the uSD card from your display: File Transfer over serial (Programming) cable Utility.

However, this isn't practical if you are working with huge GCI files. So, you'd have
    to resort back to removing the uSD card from the display and use a card reader to transfer image files.

"I can't possibly see myself swapping this SD card from the display to the computer and back again just to test out a change in the program."
    There's no need for you to swap the uSD card everytime if you only changed the program itself, so, you may
    click on the dialog box "No Thanks", when you compile the program.

If you want to store graphics files using Flashbanks you may check this appnote:
    https://www.4dsystems.com.au/appnote/4D-AN-00149/

Hope this helps and best regards,
    Sherwin
    Last edited by sherwin4D; 26th April 2019, 10:32 AM.

Comment

FANTASTIC! Thanks for the quick and complete answer. I never thought to click the "No Thanks" button as I assumed that just aborted the whole download. Didn't know it was referring only to an image file and not the entire code. I only have one image that is not changing, so this all works out for me. Thanks again!

Comment

Hi,

Glad it worked out for you.

Best regards,
        Sherwin

Comment

Working...
        X