Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

multiple home screens (repeated objects)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• multiple home screens (repeated objects)

I'm currently developing a gui for a gas analyzer and I need help resolving a configurability issue. The gas analyzer has five ranges and each range has a different number of decimal places displayed for oxygen concentration. For the main screen, I've made a large custom user digits display (broken into two objects for decimal insertion) and there will be lots of other display objects that show the states of alarms, relays and important settings. There will be around 30 display objects. How do I alter the main screen decimal places without having to create five unique main screens that replicate the 30 display objects? This would create 150 objects just to display the same info !! Is there a more efficient way than creating all those objects and cascading the event outputs between corresponding objects? Genie Magic code?

Thanks!!
    Attached Files

Hello,

Welcome to the forum!

How do I alter the main screen decimal places without having to create five
    unique main screens that replicate the 30 display objects?
    Unfortunately, you can't do this using ViSi-Genie environment. You need to duplicate
    the objects for each form you created. [Object in multiple forms]

Is there a more efficient way than creating all those objects and cascading
    the event outputs between corresponding objects?
    As mentioned above, it's not possible to use one object for different forms using
    ViSi-Genie environment. However, this can be easily done using ViSi environment.

If you're not inclined on using different environment, perhaps you could do away with
    using only one form, that way, you won't have to replicate your objects for the other four
    forms. As for the tabs, you could use User Buttons instead as an alternative.

Another problem now is how to update your custom user digits. One suggestion
    is you could stack them together and when you click on one of the tabs(User Buttons),
    you could send a command to update one of the user digits to automatically show
    or hide the other digits.

I hope this helps you somehow with your project.

Good luck and best regards,
    Sherwin

Comment

Thanks for the reply!

As mentioned above, it's not possible to use one object for different forms using
      ViSi-Genie environment. However, this can be easily done using ViSi environment.
      Do you have a Visi example?
      Could Genie Magic do this?

If you're not inclined on using different environment, perhaps you could do away with
      using only one form, that way, you won't have to replicate your objects for the other four
      forms. As for the tabs, you could use User Buttons instead as an alternative.
      Not sure what you're saying here. I think I need five forms (home screen replicas) to have different number of decimals on user digits.

Another problem now is how to update your custom user digits. One suggestion
      is you could stack them together and when you click on one of the tabs(User Buttons),
      you could send a command to update one of the user digits to automatically show
      or hide the other digits.
      I like this idea. I could stack the user digit displays on top of each other and the microcontroller could just write to the ones required for the current range. The digits that get updated will float to the top and hide the others?

Comment

Hi Jeremy,

If you intend to go with ViSi, please bear in mind that you'd have to create your own protocol.
        It's just not possible with ViSi-Genie to replicate objects on different forms. "It's just outside
        the scope of Genie", that includes Genie Magic.

Not sure what you're saying here. I think I need five forms (home screen replicas) to have
        different number of decimals on user digits.
        Sorry for the confusion it may have caused you. I believe it's possible to accomplish your intended
        task using only one form, which means you'd avoid creating duplicates for your 30 objects. For that,
        you'd need to make use of User Buttons to simulate the switching animation of your tab buttons.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Multiple Screen.PNG
Views:	55
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	68407
        [ATTACH]n68408[/ATTACH]
        Here's a sample project which you can use as reference for your project. As you can see,
        I made use of User Buttons and used a cropped image of each tab. If you click on Object Inspector
        at your Workshop4 IDE, you'll notice I've added all the user buttons for you and it's corresponding event,
        it's up to you to add the other images to simulate the switching tabs animation. For more information
        on how to use User Buttons, please check this appnote: ViSi-Genie User Button

Regarding the different number of decimals on user digits, I think it would be best to make use of
        String text field instead. You could let your microcontroller handle the conversions instead of the
        display doing it. You should have no problem with decimal places if you used String text field.

I could stack the user digit displays on top of each other and the microcontroller could just
        write to the ones required for the current range. The digits that get updated will float to the top
        and hide the others?
        Yes, it should float on top every time you update it's value by clicking one of your User Buttons(you could
        try to send a command to update the digits).

I hope this gives you a clearer picture and less confusion.

Good luck and best regards,
        Sherwin

Comment

The digit stacking worked like a charm! No need for multiple home screens.
          The only issue is that you see the number animate on form load as the digits are drawn: 0.000 => 0.00 => 0.0 => 0.
          No big deal, though - it's actually kind of cool.
          As for my tabs, I don't have any issues with those: one background image each form, user buttons with no images on top of tabs (7 each form).
          Thank you!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	68413
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Jeremy,

No worries, you're welcome!

If you have more concerns, you can always reach us.

Best regards,
            Sherwin

Comment

Working...
            X