Maximum communication distance from Arduino shield to Display

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maximum communication distance from Arduino shield to Display

I all, Currently have an automation project at home that an ardiuno is controlling a bunch of lights and managing a Schedular for a pool pump and heater. All of this is was controlled by a uLCD 32PTU-AR display mounted on the wall. The display is some distance, ideally 7m away from the arduino shield.

I have been struggling with communication between the two, 4m works fine but after that I run into issues. The two become out of sync and lock up. I have since fried the screen and trying to find the best option to fix this. Does anyone have any advise? Different display or would utilising a RS232 MOTG module and run CAT6 cable help with the long distance? If so do I need two MOTG for sending and receiving or only receiving?

Hello,

Typically it relates to the Baud rate you are using. Are you using 200000 baud as per our demos?
    If you slow down the baud rate you can go a longer distance, and that is the case whether its TTL or RS232. I assume you are just using a longer 5 way cable and the standard TTL signals. If you go to 115200, or 38400, or even 9600, this will likely help considerably.
    This is not ideal for going 7m though but it can be achieved if you use decent cables and/or you slow your baud rate down.
    This can affect the update speed of your widgets though depending on what you are doing/showing etc. You will need to make that decision.

If you go to RS232 then yes you will need a transceiver at each end. Display <==> RS232 Transceiver <-----------------------> RS232 Transceiver <===> Arduino
    You could do it with a MOTG RS232 with Breadtooth modules at each end since you don't seem to be using gen4 modules (as you mentioned uLCD-32PTU).

I hope this is of some help.
    James

Comment

Definitely wasn’t 200000 as it wasn’t working at 4m with that rate. I did run longer 5 way cable, but thinking now that wasn’t the best idea.

As the screen has died was thinking of upgrading to gen4 module with a bigger display say 5 or 7”. If I was to do this and run cat5/6cable with MOTG as you said, would this be my best option at achieve the distance reliably?

Thanks

Comment

With a gen4 display and a RS232 MOTG module, going over CAT5 cable to another MOTG RS232 module and Breadtooth (or another RS232 module of your choice) into your Arduino, you should be fine at that distance I would think.
        James

Comment

What about wifi or bluetooth 😊 ?

Comment

Thanks for you help James, its greatly appreciated.

In regards to wifi or bluetooth i did think if all that but didn't want over complicate the set up even more with programming and more modules. Not sure how I would program communications over those mediums. This is already been a huge learning curve. ahah

Comment

Working...
            X