Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Newbee!

Hi All.
    I've just stumbled across 4D Systems whilst looking for digital dashboard / engine monitoring solutions. I have an old school diesel forestry machine which I'm in the process of rewiring and updating. Looking to go to a single screen for engine information - rpm, oil temp, oil pressure, water temp, fuel level, hydraulic oil temp etc etc. I have a pretty good understanding of electrical systems, computer utility usage but no programming experience at all. I understand the simplest package is a drag and drop creation onto one of the displays. Am I correct in thinking that this needs an arduino to take my sensor outputs and convert it into something the screen can utilise? Or is it that I can connect and configure the sensor outputs directly into the display module input pins to actuate the on screen guages? Any help would be gratefully received!!

thanks

Hello,

Welcome to the forum,

That sounds like an interseting project. Our displays would be ideal for your application and there are a couple of ways you could do this.

You could use an Arduino and take advantage of the vast resources for the Arduino in configuring your sensor outputs and then sending the data to the display to be shown as gauges. There is most likely many code snippets out there that you can use reducing the amount of programming skills. You can also make use of sensors that are supported by the Arduino with ready made libraries. The code to talk to the display is easy to learn and there are plenty of examples in the forum of similar setups you can get an idea from.

Additionally you can use the display without an Arduino and configure your outputs to be read directly by the display. The 4DGL langauge is not that hard to learn and again there is a lot of help and examples to make this easier.

Both ways benefit from drag & drop graphics and if using the display directly, there is a Paste Code button that will automatically generate code for the graphic objects that have been created.

I hope this helps

Best regards

Paul

Comment

That’s great, thanks. Where would you suggest the best ace to start for getting to know the 4dgl language or perhaps the usage of input signals? Thanks

Comment

Hi,

A Diablo powered display may be the best option for you as it has many IO and communication ports to choose from.

You will find the Diablo Internal functions manual helpful.

https://4dsystems.com.au/mwdownloads...ad/link/id/11/

We also have a vast arrray of appnotes that have plenty of examples.

https://4dsystems.com.au/blog/app-notes/

You could also download the Workshop 4 IDE and try it out

https://4dsystems.com.au/workshop4

In Workshop 4, there are some code examples that you can choose from by clicking on File and then examples

I hope this helps

Best regards

Paul

Comment

Working...
        X