Write Numbers/Strings to Smart Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Write Numbers/Strings to Smart Gauge

As the title suggests, I am trying to write a number to a smart gauge. The numbers can range from 1 digit to 6 digits.
    I wanted to use the Smart Gauge because then I can have a nice custom gradient background that I would be able to write a unit to, with the larger selection of fonts.
    I know I can do this with multiple layers as suggested on https://forum.4dsystems.com.au/node/62142

Is there an easier way using the numeric part or string lookup to achieve the same outcome? And if so, how would I go about doing this?

Something like:
    writeobjects( tSmartGauge, 0, d) where 'd' is the output from a keyboard entry?

Or:
    to(tSmartGauge) ; putstr (d) ; ?

Thanks for any recommendations.

Originally what I was doing was I had a user button, then a custom units with a bitmap over the top of that.
    The button would navigate to the keyboard page, then the keyboard entry would write to the customunits.
    If on the post activate form I set img_ClearAttributes(hndl, iCustomdigits1, I_TOUCH_DISABLE) ; then when the custom digits is pressed instead of the user button underneath, the touchscreen would freeze. To correct for this, I moved the clearattributes and setattributes to just before and after I write to the custom units. This works but when the userbutton is selected the displayed value disappears which might be fine for a home project but can't really go into a final product which this will be used in.

Comment

Hi,

I don't think writing strings on Smart Gauge will work since it is not designed to accept char/string input.

If I may suggest, you can use UserImages which has an image of 0-Z.
      You can design each image on a graphic editor to be transparent if you need it to blend with the background.

I have attached a sample program which uses a keyboard input and displays the result as a printed text and as an alpha-numeric image.

I hope this can help you with your project.

Best regards,
      Kevin
      Attached Files

Comment

I see, that's unfortunate as that would have been the best solution. It would give me touch box size, font and font size and an event I can control based off of.

Thank you for providing that code, while that would work, I need to set around 150 different parameters which would end up being at least 500 userimages I would need to cycle through.
        Using magictouch on a custom digits works great, but a big issue here is that the size of the image selected changes based upon how many units I have. So the touch box is very small when I have 2 digit variables and a decent size when I have 5 digit customdigits. I can increase the font size, but then that looks very awkward when both the 2 digit and 5 digit inputs are on the same page.

On the attachment you can see the system 1 transducer quantity custom digits is highlighted and the box is very small. I can make it taller easily enough, but I'd really like to be able to modify the width as well.

I just thought of something that I will try. I can make switch case statement with TouchYpos and TouchXpos to define the the area pressed. I'll see if that runs into the same issue when there is a custom digits in the same area.

Regards,
        Justin
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Justin,

I completely understand your concern. I just thought that you are sending a character on your Led Digit, which makes the process invalid as it is mapped to accept only integer value. That is why I suggest you create UserImage for further customization of the project.

As you may know, the output widgets such as LedDigits/CustomDigits are not designed to have touch input.
          However, you may invoke a touch response on it be enabling its touch capability.

You may increase the touch area of the customDigit by adjusting the size of the object, else you can create a touch area on custom digits, which I think is what you have done.

Best Regards,
          Kevin

Comment

Hi Kevin,

Yes, the touch area is the route I ended up going with and it ended up working perfectly.
            Attached is a snip from the working code in case this helps anyone else out in the future.

If you get a moment can you check my other post as well?
            I still haven't been able to figure out why my keyboard delete and clear buttons aren't working when I have a separate string on the same page.

Regards,
            Justin
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Justin,

I am glad that you have managed to make it work.

If you get a moment can you check my other post as well?
              This goes unnoticed, I will check and try this later on.

Best Regards,
              Kevin

Comment

Working...
              X