Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genie Magic or Visi?

Hi,

In my projects I will have an extenal MCU which is going to drive a Diablo 16 display and now I am looking at the various development options in Workshop4.
    Unfortunately, after reading multiple posts, appnotes and watching Youtube videos I am still not sure what would be the best option for my projects.
    It looks like I will need some direct access to code because I will need to change the scale for a scope during runtime for example or maybe would like to attach a quadrature encoder directly to the intelligent display.
    However I am not sure if the Genie Magic will be the best way to go or I should go with Visi which has probably a steeper learning path but maybe offers more flexibility in the end?
    As far as I see, Genie is the most modern way to develop and Magic offers additional flexibility to insert custom code.
    So I would like to ask, what possibilities I would be missing if I start with Genie Magic instead of pure Visi. And which would be recommended by experienced developers for one or the other reason. Unfortunately, I did not find a good document explaining the pros and cons of the different approaches in detail and I am afraid that I may get stuck at some point with one or the other option later in a project.

Thanks in advance,

Anguel

Hi Anguel,

Welcome to the forum.

As you may already know, ViSi - Genie environment does not require any 4DGL coding at all. Everything is done automatically for you. With Genie Magic, it will give you to the ability to add standard 4DGL code at various points of your ViSi-Genie project. Thus, offers a whole new dimension of possibilities and plethora of task that you can accomplish(like ViSi) with the added convenience of Genie environment. And because of that, it allows rapid development experience for the user.

ViSi environment gives you more control, and so, you would have to set everything manually yourself. On top of that, if you intend to communicate with an external MCU, you would have to create your own protocol to communicate with it. 4DGL combines the best elements and syntax structure of languages such as C, Basic, Pascal, etc. Programmers familiar with these languages will feel right at home with 4DGL.

I am afraid that I may get stuck at some point with one or the other option later in a project.
    You can always reach our forum whenever you have any queries and we'll be happy to assist.

Having said that, you may use any environment that you feel would best suit your needs.

I hope this will welp.

Good luck and best regards,
    Sherwin

Comment

Hi Sherwin,

Thank you for the reply. Can you give me some examples based on your experience what cannot be done with Genie Magic alone but would require Visi?
      I just want to make sure that I start with the correct tool to prevent later surprises in the middle of a project.

Thanks,

Anguel

Comment

Hi Anguel,

Genie Magic gives you access to what ViSi environment normally can do, e.g., R/W access to uSD from a host, read data from I/O ports(of the display module) and write this data to Genie Objects, and includes almost anything the user can imagine. So, basically, what you can do with ViSi should be doable with Genie Magic since it's essentially 4DGL.

I hope this gives you clarification.

Good luck and best regards,
        Sherwin

Comment

Working...
        X