Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gen4-70DT-SB-AR / Arduino MEGA comms problems....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gen4-70DT-SB-AR / Arduino MEGA comms problems....

Hi all,
    I'm trying to connect a MEGA to my 7" display.
    Physically, I've got the FFC connected to the board and Gen4-IB and the jumpers from that to the Arduino adaptor shield II....
    Sometimes there is power but it's not consistent (I managed to load a screen with the uSD) and the Arduino comms light flashes when it should be reading it, but when I go via VISIEGenie/Comms and select the red button, it goes yellow (light flashes on the MEGA and if screen was on it goes off)....this could be due to a few things?
    1. I've used all my ports numerous times for serial.prints (saw this was a no no in the 4d trouble shooting doc)
    2. Could be power? should I be taking the 5Vdc from the other pins on the sheild?

Any help would be appreciated....thanks....

Hello,

How are you powering the display?
    Given you have the SB version (Super Bright) it consumes quite a bit of power, so if you are powering the display from the Arduino, then I dont believe you will have any luck. The 5V Linear Regulator on the Arduino isn't adequate to power the Display, if you have the Arduino powered off say a 12V source (the regulator on the arduino will also get very hot), or worse if you are are powering the Arduino off USB (depending on your USB supply of course)
    Also how have you connected things together?
    Are you trying to program the display when its connected to the Ardiuno too?
    Please provide some more information around the connections and power sources etc.
    If its of any help, there is a Sticky Post at the top of the Arduino section, here: https://forum.4dsystems.com.au/node/40596

Regards
    James

Comment

Hi James,
      From the PC it's USB to MEGA, MEGA to adaptor shield, adaptor shield via jumpers to FFC connector, FFC connector via FFC to screen. So it is only powered via the MEGA by the 5Vdc USB connector on my PC...
      It's pretty much connected as per https://4dsystems.com.au/mwdownloads...ad/link/id/85/ adaptor shield data sheet. If it's a power problem I attach another 5Vdc input to header 2 as per the shield datasheet?...
      I'm programming the display using Visie Genie as per the starters 'ViSi-Genie Connecting a 4D Display to an Arduino Host' 4D doc and am just failing at communication...that's as far as I'm getting --- the red light should be blue it goes yellow for a while then back to red...
      I had is blue when I tried direct connection with the PC using the micro USB adaptor but that's not happening any more either....I might try the extra power?....

Comment

You can only program the display when its direct connected. If its connected to the arduino then you can't program the display as the arduno will get the same comms and interrupt the programming sequence. You program the display and program the arduino then connect them together.

Extra power is really only of benefit when you connect them together as i am unsure how you will get external 5v unless you use jumper wires. Just ensure you have common grounds if using external 5v with your usb.

Maybe take a photo and post that of how you have it connected when your trying to program it.

If the display is flashing and boot looping then that typically shows its a power issue.
        James

Comment

Hi James,

I am working with Morven on the same project. Thank you for helping us out. We have been sitting with this LCD for days trying to figure it out...
          It is clear to us that the display has to be directly connected to the computer (without Arduino) in order to program it.
          The components we have are shown below. These include:

LCD screen
          GEN4-PA
          GEN4-IB
          4D Arduino Adaptor Shield
          uSD card with reader
          5-way female-to-female ribbon cable with male-to-male adaptor x 2
          FFC cable

I am not sure if we need it but I see a lot of examples of programming using a Programming Cable which we don't have, but I suppose the Programming Adapter GEN4PA is the substitute in this case?

Components:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Image 1.jpg Views:	3 Size:	903.0 KB ID:	70003Click image for larger version  Name:	Image 2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.05 MB ID:	70004

Programming setup using GEN4-PA, USB cable and FFC cable:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Image3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.27 MB ID:	70005

From the LCD manual, I also found:

"NOTE: In addition to these modules (i.e. 4D-uPA), the gen4-PA and uUSB-PA5/uUSB PA5-II can still be used. Please be reminded though that these still need a gen4-IB in order to be used for programming."

But for programming the LCD I see no way of connecting both gen4-PA and gen4-IB together at the same time? Gen4-IB only connects LCD with the Arduino adapter I think: LCD - FFC cable - gen4IB - arduino adapter. The Gen4-IB can only be used after programming the LCD, correct?

Example of attempt to Generate GUI and compile:

1. uSD with files inserted to LCD
          2. Restarted computer
          3. Connected LCD+gen4-PA via usb cable to computer. LCD shows part of what should be shown on display:

Click image for larger version

Name:	screen disconnected, then connected.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	70007

4. Trying to connect the COM - it is red:

Name:	running COM - device not responding.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	70008

5. Anyways, running the Build Copy/Load in Genie. Message appears: are you sure you want to load because last time COM5 was RED?
          Screen now is black.

Last edited by Migle Makelyte; 18th October 2019, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Hello,

There must be a typo on what you are quoting from, as yes you dont need the gen4-IB to Program if you are using the gen4-PA, as the gen4-PA will connect the USB from the laptop directly to the 30 way FFC cable and into the module, for programming the module.

So the process is you connect the display to the 30 way FFC, then the FFC into the gen4-PA, and then the gen4-PA to your computer. You use Workshop to create your project. You then get your microSD card and put it in your computer (not in the module), and you build your project. It will compile the graphics and prompt you which drive your microSD card is to copy the resources over. It will then copy the files to the microSD card, and program the display Processor via the gen4-PA. You then remove the microSD card from your computer, and put it in your module, and the module will start up and display your project. You then unplug the 30 way FFC from the gen4-PA, and connect it to your gen4-IB, and use the supplied 5 way cable from the gen4-IB and connect it to H1 of your Arduino Adaptor Shield, which is on your Arduino. Power it up and it should work. In your case, since you have a display module which is large and uses alot of current your Arduino may not be able to power it directly, so you would then change J2 on the Arduino Adaptor shield to be on the PR side instead of the AR side, which means power for the Display will not be from the Arduino (AR) and will instead be from the H2 instead. You would then connect 5V and GND from an external source to the appropriate pins on H2, power it all up and you should have a working Arduino to Display with external power for the display, and USB power for your Arduino.

Is this what you are doing, or is there a difference?
            James

Comment

• Migle Makelyte
              Migle Makelyte commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi James,

thank you for a detailed reply. I just did everything that you recommended, the only thing I was nto doing before is the external power for the display. However, I still get the RED comms. When I have only the GEN4-PA connected between display and laptop and save files onto SD, I get a message which is mentioned often by those screen users in forums: "Device is not responding. Please check your configuration. Have you got an SGC PmmC loaded by mistake?" I found one user sorted it our by connecting RX-TX instead of TX-TX etc... But he is using a programming cable while I am using the PA, I dont think I could have made a mistake connecting those few cables together. In fact, the ribbon cable (30pin) is the only cable I have to connect when using the PA. So I presume my issue is different from his..

My main problem is that the LCD is not connecting -communicating with the Workshop software. Even if I try to update firmware using PmmC loader, it says Device on COM5 is not responding, please make sure device is plugged in.. I tried 3 different USB cables as well just in case. Non of them are original android cables but I thought at least one would work. Do I actually need to use the PmmC function when building the project? Do I have to manually download some drivers for LCD, SC card etc? When I connect the PA via USB to laptop, and the ribbon cable to PA and then to LCD, and then disconnect the LCD ribbon cable from PA, and reconnect again to PA, then there is a message flashing on the screen: DRIVE NOT MOUNTED. That must be the SD card it is asking for. So does that mean there is communication between screen and laptop? Is that showing there is sufficient power? I guess that before I do anything, before I create projects, before I upload anything to the SD card, I must sort out the connection issue, isnt it?

I have a question: When I am programming the display using the GEN4-PA, do I also need to supply external power to display? If so, how do I do that? Can I do it using the 5V and GND pins on the GEN4-PA?

Another question, is there a way to reset the display and is that necessary if several different projects were created? I reformatted the SD card each time before uploading the new files onto it.

If this display does not work in the next 1-2 days unfortunately I will have to return it and find a more straight forward plug and play screen. I thought this was easy and that I was supplied with sufficient info in the manual. But it seems that a lot of people are having this same issue and it is not described in the manual of how to avoid/fix it. When a 7inch screen is sold, the manual that should come with it must inform the user about the external power supply. Because it is probably one of the most important things to know to have it work!? In fact, even when contacted the staff of 4D screens, the never even mentioned the possible power issue. Anyways..Such a cool screen and not so cool support.

I look forward to your reply James and thank you again for your help.
              Last edited by Migle Makelyte; 25th October 2019, 01:00 AM.

Hi Migle,

Sorry you are still having problems.
            Really the only thing I can think of is your computer USB is not supplying enough power to power up the display module and be stable. If you are seeing a flashing 'Drive not mounted' message then the display is actually running, and it has a program downloaded into it which is looking for the uSD card to be inserted so it can execute the program and show the graphics. If you are only seeing a Red traffic light in Workshop4, and it cant recognise the display as being connected, then something is not right. But from what I can tell, it has worked at one point as you managed to change the default application already.
            A powered USB hub might be the answer, so you can get enough current on the USB to power the module, instead of sourcing it all from your PC.

You don't need to 'reset' the display to run new programs, you just program it and it will overwrite what was there previously.

The uSD card is there only to hold the graphics resources. The actual code/program is written over the USB to the gen4-PA and into the Diablo processor.

Normally our modules work without an issue, and I am sorry you are having problems. Given you are using the 7" Superbright model, you need to ensure your PC can supply the power required as stated in the specs at the end of the datasheet. If the module is not getting enough power, it will not start reliably and it might just boot loop. If that happens, then Workshop4 wont be able to see it, and wont be able to program it. Given it is asking you for a SD card, suggests you have managed to program it at least once, and your photos confirm this as it shows the rectangular box showing, but nothing else. The other items will be from the uSD card.

I assume your card is formatted FAT16 as per requirements, and you have managed to load the resources onto the card from the card being in your PC, and workshop has transferred the files over to it successfully, and you have then put the card into your module?
            James

Comment

Hi James,

i am providing 5V 2.5A to the USB hub which has 4 outputs, not sure if current divided by 4 to all outputs.
              I also tried supplying 5V 2.5A directly to the screen via the 30way FFC cable and I got the same result as if the screen was connected to USB hub.
              Now I am looking at Workshop 4 software, Tools section, Where you can choose terminals. When I try to connect via there to screen, it says "Open error on COM5 - Access is denied". So I think the power question is out of the way now, do you agree? Back to the same, we are saying here that there is a communication problem - something to do with the COM ports as the software is already suggesting?
              By the way, If screen is connected only to USB hub it powers on flashing drive not mounted (or shows what is on the uSD if inserted) but when connected to laptop afterwards, flashing disappears, screen goes totally black.

Thanks
              Migle

Click image for larger version  Name:	75464346_787122398390152_6343063154502664192_n.jpg Views:	3 Size:	169.7 KB ID:	70117
              Last edited by Migle Makelyte; 1st November 2019, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Hi Migle,

It would seem your laptop is not capable of powering it directly, so you need to connect it via the powered hub you have. Flashing mount message would be right if you don't have the card inserted into the module.

The "Open error on COM5 - Access is Denied" I would guess means something else is using the COM port, or something has malfunctioned, or you dont have he right driver or something like that. When you plug the USB into the gen4-PA, is it definitely COM5 that appears in your Device Manager? Did you install the driver from our website when you first started for the gen4-PA or did you just let windows take care of it? You dont have something else trying to use that port like the Arduino IDE or something do you?

Have you by chance tried a different USB cable?
                I assume you have the powered Hub plugged into your laptop USB, then a USB cable from the Hub to your gen4-PA, and then the gen4-PA 30 way into your module?

Regards
                James

Comment

• Migle Makelyte
                  Migle Makelyte commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi James,

COM5 is definitely the one: Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge(COM5).

Yes, Hub plugged into my laptop USB, then a USB cable from the Hub to gen4-PA, and then the gen4-PA 30 way into module. And also the Hub is connected to mains 5V 2.5A, liek I mentioned in previous message. And like I mentioned before, the hub has 4 outputs, I don't know much about hubs, how they work but I read that they divide power equally for the number of ports, in this case 4. But yet again, I powered the screen directly from mains and got same result as if it was powered via Hub, so hub should be providing enough power.

Screen was connected to both my colleagues and my laptops and both had same issues with communication.
                  If your screens do have an issue with COM ports, how do you usually fix that? I am guessing you will recommend to check if nothing else is connected to the port, or that other devices that have been connected would have to be deleted etc. But I need exact steps how to achieve that. I am an engineer and can follow complicated engineering tasks, so fire away please. If you go to Device Manager and then look at the Ports, and right click on Silicon labs..COM5, select properties.. Is there anything I should be checking there? Baud rates etc..?

I am in a process of sourcing a different manufacturers screen since we are under high pressure on the project but would like to have this screen working some day to use in future before deciding to return it back.

When you mention I don't have the right driver, what do you mean, driver for which device? PA? Screen? I have the up to date driver for the PA.
                  It was downloaded manually from your website. Let's remember that the screen did work before for my colleague where without Arduino (only the 4Gen-PA setup) we had the project loaded, or at least part of the project, I cannot remember. But later it stopped working even with the PA setup. How do you make sure the COM port if free for use and if not free how do you clear it? Any of your customers had this before?

5 different USB cables tried, all of which transfer both power+data. Again James, a project was loaded previously, so it is not power, it is not the cable I guess? COM port is the main issue in my opinion.

Any chance we could communicate over email to speed up the process?

Thanks,
                  Migle
                  Last edited by Migle Makelyte; 1st November 2019, 11:25 PM.

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	70132Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture3.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	70131Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	70133
                Attached Files

Comment

Hi Migle,

We don't usually have any com port issues with our displays and any issues encountered are usually a missing driver. looking at your Device Manager COM5 looks correct and working.

The 'Open error on COM5 - Access is denied' usually means that the port is already in use by your PC which is very odd that it is the same on your PC and also your colleagues PC. Is there any chance there is anything running on your PC that is accessing the only available serial port. Windows Task Manager may show any running programs that may be using the com port. As James said the SB display consumes a lot of current and sometimes exceed the current supplied from a PC's USB port, when you say you have tried powering the display via the 30 pin FFC, do you mean you have attached a 5V supply to the +5v and GND of the gen4-PA and then connected a USB cable to the gen4-PA and the PC. If you have tried this, was the message still an Open error on COM5 or just Device is not responding ?

Best regards

Paul

Comment

• Migle Makelyte
                    Migle Makelyte commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi Paul,

thank you for your message. Correct, 5V supply was connected to the 4Gen-PA and the rest as you described. Also, 5V were supplied via placing naked 5V power pin and Gnd pin onto the 30wayFFC cable and same result. In fact, Drive not mounted is flashing (please dont tell me again that it means SD card isnt present, I know that very well at this point. it is just an indicator of what is on screen i am referring) or when SD card inserted part of my OLD project strings are displayed in the same way whether its powered only via laptop USB, or via PA, or via placing naked power pins from mains to FFC cable.

After I connect 5V via PA, and press on the yellow traffic lights, first it says "Com port not currently available" right next to traffic lights and a table pops up saying "Device is not responding please check configuration , maybe PmmC loaded by mistake". Second time I press the traffic lights, i get "Device is not responding" right next to traffic lights. Also what is happening is as soon as I press the yellow light and it starts searching for device, the flashing "Drive not mounted" dissapears - screen goes completely black. So I have to re-power the screen again to get something on it.
                    Last edited by Migle Makelyte; 2nd November 2019, 01:11 AM.

Hi Migle,

Thanks for the information, That's great that you tried this also so we can maybe rule out any problem with the supply via this method or the hub method you have been using. I won't tell you the SD isn't inserted, the display powers up and remains powered at this stage so thats all that matters.

One thing we could try is to prove the gen4-PA is working. We can do this by removing the FFC cable from the gen4-PA and connect TX0 and RX0 of the gen4-PA together. Attach to the PC with the USB cable directly and then open one of the terminals from under the Tools tab in Workshop 4. You may need to select COM5 and then connect after opening terminal. Anything you type will be echoed in the left hand panel if the gen4-PA is working correctly.

Best regards

Paul

Comment

• Migle Makelyte
                    Migle Makelyte commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Gen4-PA is working when connected as you suggested

Ok, thanks for testing this for me. This proves your PC and com port is configured correctly and the issue is between the gen4-PA and the display.

One thing I forgot to ask, does the display appear to reset when you press the scan button under the Comms tab ?

Best regards

Paul

Comment

• Migle Makelyte
                    Migle Makelyte commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think it resets, it turns black as soon as I press the scan button but nothing appears on screen after scanning.

Ok, thanks for that.

Is the FFC cable in good condition. This could be a possible reason for no comms. The power and reset lines seem to be fine. As it seems to have worked fine initially this is one component that could have failed.

Comment

• Migle Makelyte
                    Migle Makelyte commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes it is in good condition. I might order a spare one and check. I actually just checked pin by pin with a multimeter between screen side and PA side, cable is connections are fine.

Regards
                    Migle
                    Last edited by Migle Makelyte; 2nd November 2019, 03:15 AM.

Forgot to update.. Got a new exact same LCD and it works just fine. Faulty LCD.

Comment

Working...
                  X