Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corrupted Display with Several uSD Cards

Hello all,

I've just bought my first 4D Systems display, a GEN4-ULCD-35DT and I'm having the apparently well known issue of corrupted display.

I created a screen layout with Visi-Genie of Workshop 4, version 4.5.0.17 running on Windows 10 Home.

I went through the troubleshooting and found the possible explanation regarding uSD incompatibilities.

I have tried 2 different uSD from the most reputable manufacturers:

- 2Gb SanDisk

- 1Gb Kingston

Both were obviously formatted to FAT16 and the issue remains exactly the same.

Any other ideas? Anything else to check?

Thanks in advance

Hi,

Welcome to the forum!

Does the display corrupts immediately when the program starts?
    Also, do you have pictures of the corrupted display?

For reference, you may check this forum thread:
    Not All uSD cards support SPI
    https://forum.4dsystems.com.au/node/1869?p=47626

Best Regards,
    Kevin

Comment

Hi John,

Thanks for you promptly reply.

The display corrupts immediatly when powered on by connecting it to the pc with the 4D Programming cable.

Here is a screen capture from Visi-Genie:
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Original.JPG Views:	0 Size:	40.2 KB ID:	70010

And that is the corrupted screen using the 2GB SanDisk uSD:
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Corrupted.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1,020.9 KB ID:	70011

Screen shot of the RMPET Tool:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Partition.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	70014

And that's the uSD Test... that seems OK to me.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	uSD_Test.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	920.1 KB
ID:	70015

I have also tried powering it up with a 5A DFRobot Power Module and it corrupts the same.

And more strangelly, if I try another simpler layout with just a couple of digits and one meter, it shows nothing on the screen!
      No idea of what is going on. I hope it it is a really bad single unit!

Thanks again for you support.
      Regards

Fabiano
      Attached Files
      Last edited by FabianoFP; 18th October 2019, 05:23 AM.

Comment

Hi,

Thats a nice looking project

It looks like your project hasn't been updated onto the SD card.

Could you please try inserting the SD in your PC and pressing SHIFT & F9, this will rebuild all the graphics on the SD card and then the project should return to normal.

We usually recommend the use of our Industrial grade SD cards which protect against corruption caused by 'read disturb' by using a special firmware inside the SD.

https://4dsystems.com.au/usd-4gb-industrial

On a very active project like yours were widgets are constantly updating the read disturb issue can occur quite quickly. Using SD cards that are Industrial grade prevents this from happening.

I hope this helps

Best regards

Paul

Comment

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your help.

What is the difference between updating the project to SD with SHIFT+F9 and by clicking on "Build Copy/Load" ?
          They look the same to me and the result is the same corrupted screen.
          The screenshots above were taken after building copy/load the layout.

The display is not connected to my host microcontroller and there is no data being sent to it at all.
          From your explanation the read disturb issue would occur during the dynamic data display.

Any other things to check on my computer side? Drivers?

I will get an industrial grade uSD card and I'm sure it will sort all the issues with the display.

I'll keep you posted.
          Many thanks

Fabiano

Comment

• James_4DSystems
            James_4DSystems commented
            Editing a comment
            Can you send us your project, for us to build and load to a module, to compare with what you are seeing?
            This is not making sense as to how or why this is happening.
            When you build the project, you have the uSD card in your PC right, and your module connected to the PC too? And its prompting you to copy the files to the card, and you are doing that? Then taking the card out of the PC and putting it in your module...?
            What you are seeing is not Read Disturb, it simply looks like the files on your uSD card do not match the project you have loaded on the display processor.

Hi everybody from 4D Systems,

I have started a new project from scratch thinking that maybe my original project's got corrupted somehow, because I've experimented a lot with forms, configurations and the layout of my original project (the one above that shows corrupted on the display).

And the new project shows correctlly!!

However, it was the first time that 4D Workshop didn't allow me to Build Copy/Load with the display disconnected from my pc.

Since I started creating my previous project, I was plugging my uSD card into my PC, building copying/loading the project to the SD card (without the display connected to the PC), then ejecting the uSD, plugging into the display and powering it up and it would show a corrupted screen.

Suddenly, the Workshop now doesn't allow me anymore to load the project to the uSD (plugged into my PC reader) if the display is not connected to the USB.

I went through several 4D documents: Getting Started with Diablo Displays, Workshop4 IDE Install Guide, Workshop4 IDE Userguide, Visi-Genie User guide and reference guide, and honestly I haven't seen anywehere saying clearly that the display must be connected when loading the project to the SD card.

Maybe it was too much information in one go and I missed it somewhere.
          I any case, if that was the root cause of the issues I had, maybe is worth creating a clearer and concised start-up guide.

I'll carry on with the project and I'll let you know if I experience any other issue.

Many thanks for your support.
          Kind regards

Fabiano

Comment

Hi Fabiano,

Since I started creating my previous project, I was plugging my uSD card into my PC, building copying/loading the project to the SD card (without the display connected to the PC)
            It is possible that you have changed the project's destination and set it to uSD (Project Tab). If you are using the uSD as the project destination, then it will only copy the updated files on the uSD card and you do not need the display module to be connected on the PC.

Suddenly, the Workshop now doesn't allow me anymore to load the project to the uSD (plugged into my PC reader) if the display is not connected to the USB.
            That is normal. The Build Copy/Load button loads the program on the display, so you really need to plug the display in order to upload the program (considering that the Destination is Run RAM or Run Flash).

Still if you are successfully copying the file on the memory card, you should be able to update the GUI on the display.

I'll carry on with the project and I'll let you know if I experience any other issue.
            Sure, let us know if you encounter any issue.

Best Regards,
            Kevin

Comment

Working...
            X