Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Comms port Gen-4-IoD24t

Hi,

I have a new Gen 4 Iod24t display with a small blue programmer module but have had no luck getting anything to show on the display. I've installed Arduino IDE 1.8.9 with Workshop4. In the Arduino IDE I've followed the guide to add the ESP8266 boards and the GFX4d zip library to the IDE. I've selected the Board as "4D systems IoD range" in the IDE and loaded one of the library examples. However Tools>Port remains greyed out so I can't upload to the display. I've also tried in Workshop4 (after restarting both it and Arduino IDE) however in the Comms menu nothing shows up under Arduino Comms and when I click Compile'n'Load it asks me to select a com port.

The wiring setup is a micro USB from my laptop to the blue programmer, then a 10 way FFC cable from the programmer to the display. The USB cable definitely works as I use it to program a microbit. I see in the datasheet that an external power supply is required, however it also says the maximum current draw per pin is 12 mA, is an external power source needed and if so what current is required?

Cheers
    Ewan

Hi Ewan,

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear you are having a problem with your IoD. You don't need an external power supply for the IoD if your PC's USB port supplies 500mA.

The first thing to check would be the driver for the programming adapter. You can do this by checking the com port in Windows Device Manager to see if the port is there or if there is a yellow warning triangle on the port. This is usually installed automatically by windows but if there is a driver problem then you can download the driver here.

https://www.silabs.com/products/deve...ge-vcp-drivers

Best regards

Paul

Comment

Hi,

Thanks - there was a yellow warning for the driver so I've installed the driver you linked to and the warning has disappeared. However when I plug in the adapter plus display I get a warning from Windows about a usb power surge. I'm using a Lenovo Ideapad 320 and the USB should provide 0.9A.

Cheers
      Ewan

Comment

Hi Ewan,

That is unusual, the IoD will happily power from a PC's USB socket normally. Does the IoD display come to life when powered up via USB or is it a blank screen.

Best regards

Paul

Comment

The only way I can see how to power it is how I described in my first post, via the 10 way FFC cable connected to the 8pin blue gen4 IoD programmer then via micro usb to the pc. As far as I can tell the FFC are in correctly with the blue side facing up and the black plastic sliders pushed back after inserting. Is there an alternative way using the 5V and gnd pins on the programmer? The screen is just blank with no backlight or leds on it or the programmer.

Comment

Hi Ewan,

You are connecting it correctly. I have read a few web pages about this and many people seem to have this issue. Have you successfully used USB devices before without an issue ?

This is a web page about the issue

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...Replies&page=3

If you use another power supply like a phone charger for example, does the IoD power up correctly ?

Best regards

Paul

Comment

Hi,

I tried using my mac USB port and that gave a similar warning about too much current, and I've just checked with a 5V phone charger and that didn't work either. With the phone charger the voltage regulator chip (LJSB) got very hot so I unplugged it immediately... Could it be a hardware issue?

Cheers
              Ewan

Comment

Hi Ewan,

Thank you for trying these steps and sorry to hear that there seems to be a problem which is very unusual.

Would you like to open a support ticket via this link

https://4dsystems.com.au/support

Best regards

Paul

Comment

will do thanks for your help

Ewan

Comment

I also just received a Gen4-IOD-24T kit with the same small blue USB to FCC adapter. This is different than the red adapter shown in the 4D UPA shown in the data sheet, but I assume it is equivalent. My display lights up and shows an intro screen "Refer to the Quick Start Guide..." which was not included in the box.

Anyway, my issue is that I can't get the serial comm to work. I have installed the driver from silabs, and windows reports that it is working correctly. In the W4 IDE, under the Comms tab, I can select COM11. When I click on the red circle, it turns yellow for about 4 seconds, the screen flickers, and the LED flashes twice. Once at the beginning of the 4 seconds and once at the end.

Now what?

Comment

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

The IoD is an Arduino embedded display and Workshop 4 uses the Arduino IDE to program the display. Workshop 4 is also used to program our other ranges of displays which need to be detected, the IoD however, doesn't need to be detected in this manner, it just needs to have a port selected which is COM11 in your case. You can then create a project and simply click on Comp'n'Load and this will start the Arduino IDE flash process an the background.

You will need to install the Arduino IDE and the ESP8266 Arduino core. We recommend using version 2.5.2 or newer version of the core, this can be found here,

https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino

I hope this helps

Best regards

Paul

Comment

I have done all that, installed the arduino IDE and followed the instructions to load the ESP8288 files. I still get the same comm error. Maybe I should back up. I am trying to compile and load the "Hello World" sample program, which I assume just displayed that text on the screen. Correct?

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the update. With the IoD, you can ignore the Comms error and there is no need to scan for the display. The later versions of the ESP8266 core can take quite some time to compile and sometimes longer than the Workshop timeout time. I have attached a registry fix for Workshop which will extend this time, just extract and double click the registry key to install, accepting the prompts that appear, and then restart Workshop.

Best regards

Paul
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

This is an example of 'Hello World' for the IoD,

Code:
                            #include "ESP8266WiFi.h"
                            #include "GFX4d.h"

GFX4d gfx = GFX4d();

#include "NoName1Const.h"    // Note. This file will not be created if there are no generated graphics

void setup()
                            {
                              gfx.begin();
                              gfx.Cls();
                              gfx.ScrollEnable(false);
                              gfx.BacklightOn(true);
                              gfx.Orientation(PORTRAIT);
                              gfx.SmoothScrollSpeed(5);
                              gfx.TextColor(WHITE, BLACK); gfx.Font(2);  gfx.TextSize(1);
                              //gfx.Open4dGFX("NoName1"); // Opens DAT and GCI files for read using filename without extension. Note! Workshop generates files with Short filenames
                              gfx.print("Hello World ...");
                            } // end Setup **do not alter, remove or duplicate this line**

void loop()
                            {
                              // put your main code here, to run repeatedly:
                              yield(); // Required for ESP
                            }
                            Best regards

Paul

Comment

Working...
                            X