X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powering and mounting 4Duino questionsa

Hi,

I have a couple of questions I hope you can help with:
    1. I will be powering my 4Duino in its case through the 5v vin pin on the header - I supply a regulated 5V for this. In the case, I will connect the USB socket to a panel mount USB connector so I can program it in the future without having to remove it from the case (unless it requires an SD card update.) I will also use the USB connection when it is running to pull off captured data. The data sheet says I can have both of these connected and providing power as the device will switch between the input with the highest voltage so that's fine. My question is: during the timeframe it is switching is there any danger of memory or SD card corruption if I am saving data at the point it switches?
    2. Do you have any examples of panel mounting the device - have your engineers actually tried it? There is no panel mount kit available and from the front side (LCD side) there seems to be clearance round the holes; on the reverse side it's very close - at least one of the mounting points looks impossible to use as it is too close to the header (by the SCL pin) to take a nut. Perhaps an M2 might work. In any case, I don't want screws visible on the front face of the panel so I'm looking for other ideas that don't involve 3D printing a custom mount. I have tested M3 PCB mounts and that might give me three connecting points (out of the 4) proud of the rear of the device although I'd then have to engineer a way of attaching it to the panel.
    Thanks

Andrew

I'll take the answers as:

1) No idea. Whatevs.
    2) Nah, we just sell 'em, not use 'em.

Comment

Hi Andrew,

We are very sorry if this post has gone unnoticed. We always try to provide support to our customers with the best of our knowledge in order to keep them satisfied at all times while using our products. Again, I am sorry for not delivering an immediate response to your inquiry.

Here are some of the answers with regard to your concern.
      1.) The data sheet says I can have both of these connected and providing power as the device will switch between the input with the highest voltage so that's fine.
      Yes, that is true.
      My question is: during the timeframe it is switching is there any danger of memory or SD card corruption if I am saving data at the point it switches?
      There should be no corruption when switching supply, however, to further check if the data gets corrupted, I did try to simulate the given scenario using the condition below:
      • Powering the Arduino from the USB and the Headers (H3)
      • Writing data to the uSD card for 10 seconds
        • In an interval of 100ms, 50ms, and 10ms)
        • With 10 - 50 bytes of data for every interval)
      • Switching supply (disconnecting either of them on the process of writing data )

I do get the expected result. The data is also consistent (no bad, missing, garbled bytes).

Do you have any examples of panel mounting the device - have your engineers actually tried it? There is no panel mount kit available and from the front side (LCD side) there seems to be clearance round the holes; on the reverse side it's very close - at least one of the mounting points looks impossible to use as it is too close to the header (by the SCL pin) to take a nut. Perhaps an M2 might work. In any case, I don't want screws visible on the front face of the panel so I'm looking for other ideas that don't involve 3D printing a custom mount. I have tested M3 PCB mounts and that might give me three connecting points (out of the 4) proud of the rear of the device although I'd then have to engineer a way of attaching it to the panel.
      We have a customer which has an enclosure that covers the board, showing only the display. Usually, they tend to cover it when using them on their end products.
      In one of our projects, we used an M2.5 screw to attach it to a clear plastic cover. I have attached the photos for your reference. You may check them out.
      Additionally, the other option is to use 3D print screws to mount the display.

We also recommend you to contact our sales team so we can arrange a solution to design a custom board for your application.

I hope this helps.
      Best Regards,
      Kevin
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Kevin,

sorry if I was a bit off.

Good to know about (1) so thanks for checking that. For mounting, I'm going to have to build a frame around the back and find some way of pressing the board up against the panel as I only want the visible screen area (not the whole LCD) to show and no screws. Unfortunately I have no access to a 3D printer otherwise I would have tried to make a mounting bezel which would be the ideal solution.

Comment

• John Kevin
          John Kevin commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Andrew,

No problem, we understand. Maybe after finishing the frame that you built, you can share it on the forum so the other users can also see how did you manage to mount the 4Duino on your application. Good luck with your project!

Best Regards,
          Kevin

Hi Andrew,
        my suggestion is...ask a 3d printer to Santa...
        I swear, it helps a lot with this kind of issues, even if you buy a cheaper one.

Comment

Working...
        X