No announcement yet.

Flash lightning at the lcd power on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm, we aren't seeing anything like the flash you are, it might be being enhanced by your camera.

Can you try the attached and let us know if it is fixed, better? If better can you try to quantify?
    Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ESPsupport View Post
      Hmm, we aren't seeing anything like the flash you are, it might be being enhanced by your camera.

Can you try the attached and let us know if it is fixed, better? If better can you try to quantify?
      Thanks for the file. I tried switching between the two .drv but there is no noticeable difference. It also behaves exactly the same whether I use the UPA or IB board. The screen really is white for half a sec., then black for half a sec (but backlight remains on) and then it starts drawing the background.

I used a test program with only a green background and no controls etc (since I had to update to Win10 and my PRO license has yet to be transferred). Should it make a difference if I choose Destination Flash/RAM/uSD for the program?

Comment

What happens if you load the default Designer program (Effectively 'Hello World')?
        How long do the various stages take?
        Is this your only display, or do you have others behaving the same?
        What if you only connect gnd and 5v?
        Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ESPsupport View Post
          What happens if you load the default Designer program (Effectively 'Hello World')?
          How long do the various stages take?
          Is this your only display, or do you have others behaving the same?
          What if you only connect gnd and 5v?
          I loaded the Designer "Hello World". Strangely enough, I could only upload it to RAM (the 2 buttons to select the target under the project tab were not there) until I restarted workshop4. Then I was able to use Flash as target.
          The screen's startup is quicker than with the Visie Genie test project, as the 0.5s delay on the black screen is gone. The white screen before that is still there however, although it is maybe a little bit shorter.
          I made 2 videos. The first one is with the UPA adapter and plugging into the PC's USB. The second one is with a direct 5V connection on the IB adapter.
          With the UPA adapter the screen sometimes flashes white 2 times, as if it is resetting immediately.

VID_20200316_215315_upa_usb.mp4

VID_20200316_215455_ib_5v.mp4
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

The flashing twice with the UPA is quite normal when connected to Workshop as it sees a new Com port and resets it to check whats connected so the 2nd flash wouldn't be visible in your finished item.

Is it just the one display you have or do you have more and if so do they behave in the same manner ?

Best regards

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pauleilio View Post
              Hi,

The flashing twice with the UPA is quite normal when connected to Workshop as it sees a new Com port and resets it to check whats connected so the 2nd flash wouldn't be visible in your finished item.

Is it just the one display you have or do you have more and if so do they behave in the same manner ?

Best regards

Paul
              I only have 1 display, to develop a prototype.

It is the SuperBright version, so maybe that has a different backlight implementation?
              Looking at the schematic, I see the TPS61165 chip that is part of the backlight circuit. The CTRL pin is used to enable the device and dim the backlight (either using PWM (default) or a digital protocol). If it is not possible to solve the flash from the software and the TPS61165 is used in PWM mode, I was considering to add a small pulldown circuit to the CTRL pin at the side of the Diablo16. This can then be disabled from the application's microcontroller once the startup is complete so the TPS gets to see the PWM.
              Last edited by klaasdc; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Not a good idea to play with that atm.

Can you short reset to gnd and apply power (i.e. just supplying power and gnd) Then, after a few seconds remove the short.

When does the flash occur in this scenario?
                Mark

Comment

Hi Mark,

When I short Reset to GND, and then apply power, the display stays dark (no backlight). When I then release the reset, the screen flashes white briefly and prints Hello World, just as in a "normal" startup.

Comment

OK, that excludes a few possibilities, please try the attached driver
                    Mark

Comment

Hi Mark,

I tried the driver but it did not have any effect on the white flash 😟
                      There is a difference however in the length of startup time between starting by plugging in the USB, and starting with reset to gnd and then releasing it. In the latter case, it takes 1 sec longer to reach the Hello World print.

I have attachment 2 videos for reference.
                      Attached Files

Comment

The different startup speed is because the display only checks for a potential program load when an external reset occurs.

I will send you another driver with some diagnostic information in it via email.
                        Mark

Comment

Working...
                        X