Marine usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marine usage

I'm developing a product which will be exposed to harsh conditions in a marine environment. I'm considering the GEN4-ULCD-70D-SB and have two questions:

1. Are these super bright screens bright enough to be visible when in direct sunlight? (i.e. sun is shining on the screen and users eyes have adapted to harsh bright environment).

2. If I provide a suitable seal between the front edge of the screen and my enclosure I assume that there won't be any issues with being splashed/rained on. Would the capacitive touch screen work in this instance or likely to be too many issues with moisture on the screen resulting in false input.

Thanks!

Hi,

Just to clarify, gen4-uLCD-70D-SB doesn't have capacitive touch support. I believe the display module you are looking for is GEN4-70DCT-CLB-SB.

1. Are these super bright screens bright enough to be visible when in direct sunlight? (i.e. sun is shining on the screen and users eyes have adapted to harsh bright environment).
    -- Yes, SB(SuperBright) means the display module can be used outdoors with greater success and it should have higher readability in direct sunlight compared to non-SB variants. Any display has to have at least 700 nits to appear bright and readable in direct sunlight[link], and gen4-70DCT-CLB-SB has 758 nits (contrast=15), as stated on the datasheet (page27).

2. If I provide a suitable seal between the front edge of the screen and my enclosure I assume that there won't be any issues with being splashed/rained on. Would the capacitive touch screen work in this instance or likely to be too many issues with moisture on the screen resulting in false input.
    -- Provided that you have indeed keep the edges/perimeter of the screen watertight, there shouldn't be any issue with it being splashed on with rain or any liquid. I tested a display module with capacitive touch on my end, and there were no false input whatsoever caused by the droplets of water that I've noticed.

Regarding the moisture buildup inside the screen, that we can't tell you because we can't simulate the environment you have in mind. That said, if false input is a worry, you could opt for the resistive touch variant of this module instead:
    GEN4-70DT-SB

Please have a look at the display module's drawings to give you an idea how you might attach the screen on the housing/casing.
    GEN4-70DCT-CLB-SB - https://4dsystems.com.au/mwdownloads...d/link/id/118/
    GEN4-70DT-SB - https://4dsystems.com.au/mwdownloads...d/link/id/117/

I hope this information is helpful.

Good luck and kind regards,
    Sherwin
    Last edited by sherwin4D; 5 February 2020, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Thanks a lot for your quick reply. That's great to hear re. the display brightness. Regarding the choice of a touch interface:

1. For resistive touch

I have previously tested gen4-uLCD-24DT. Have you used a similar approach on GEN4-70DT-SB? For the module I've got the resistive plastic layer sits a bit loosely on top of the screen and everyone I've given it to to test out was a bit put off by that, having developed an expectation of how a touch screen should feel from mobile phones. I'm also concerned about the robustness of that layer in a harsh marine environment and relying on this effectively producing the water tight seal.

2. For capacitive touch

Is the bezel screen connection waterproof? If so, is the bezel UV resistant and will it survive years of sun exposure in an outdoor environment? If not, is GEN4-70DCT-CLB-SB available without the bezel (I couldn't find it)? Also, I haven't tried one of your capacitive screens, does this feel more like the mobile phone screens everyone is used to?

Thanks a lot for your help. I will order a sample once I work out which model. At the moment in the interest of durability I suspect a non-touch screen with a simplifed user interface through a few buttons will be preferable. But I'm happy to be convinced otherwise as a touch screen will end up cheaper and easier.

Best wishes,
      Klaas

Comment

Hi Klaas,

1. For resistive touch

Both gen4-uLCD-24DT and gen4-70DT-SB has resistive touch panel and belongs to the same gen4 family of display modules. Hence, you can expect that they have similarities in terms of how they are designed and built.

I've given it to to test out was a bit put off by that, having developed an expectation of how a touch screen should feel from mobile phones.
        As with any resistive touch panel, you'd need a little bit of force to register a touch input [please see this link].

2. For capacitive touch

The bezel is laminated directly on top of the CTP. The only way liquid could enter is through the perimeter of the bezel if not sealed properly. From the datasheet[page 20], "The perimeter of the CLB display modules features double sided adhesive tape, designed to stick directly onto a panel, enclosure, box, etc., without the need for any mounting screws or hardware. The tape used is 3M 9495LE tape, which uses the well-known and strong 3M 300LSE adhesive. The double sided adhesive has a thickness of 0.17mm once the backing has been removed. More information on this adhesive can be found on the 3M website. http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/771683O/3mtm-double-coated-tapes-9474le-9495le.pdf"

If UV light is another concern, you could apply a UV protection film on the Cover Lens Bezel.

If not, is GEN4-70DCT-CLB-SB available without the bezel (I couldn't find it)? Also, I haven't tried one of your capacitive screens, does this feel more like the mobile phone screens everyone is used to?
        Depending on how many unit you will avail, we may be able to provide you this as a custom order. Please contact our sales department if you want to proceed with this:
        SALES at 4dsystems dot com dot au

The capacitive touch panel is more responsive compared to the RTP counterpart, and from experience does feel like a modern smartphone by its response to touch inputs.

Kind regards,
        Sherwin
        Last edited by sherwin4D; 6 February 2020, 05:53 PM.

Comment

For what it's worth...

Use the capacitive version . its easier to get an effective seal , looks better / brighter and is way more durable.
          For marine use you really need a completely watertight enclosure all round with no leaks. it's not just the water or spray , the atmosphere will corrode anything not protected.
          We use these in equipment for the food industry and they have to be durable and washable and we also use a polyester overlay which adds even more protection and could solve your UV issues.

We used to sail as well so I'm fairly familiar with what works on a boat.

Garry

Comment

Thanks a lot Garry and Sherwin. That gives me lots to think about.

I'll report back once I've put together a product, although that may be a while!

Cheers,
            klaas

Comment

I will share some experience with marine applications. I have used these displays on my boats for a while over 2 years. My displays are used in the upper helm control panel so sunlight and moisture aren't a big problem. The problem I have found is with the electrical connections. I use a silicone electrical grease on most of my connectors. I have a pc up there too. As long as the connections are protected all is well for me.

Comment

Working...
              X