Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Form 0 not displaying correctly after running Arduino code to disable some buttons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Form 0 not displaying correctly after running Arduino code to disable some buttons

I have an Arduino Uno connected to an uLCD-35DT Diablo display.
    Whenever I run the code below to disable buttons on Form 1 the display on Form 0 does some funny things and does not look normal. If I switch to a different form and back to Form 0 to refresh the display this fixes the issue with Form 0.
    I have uploaded screen images,
    Form 0 Before Buttons are disabled.jpg - shows what Form 0 should normally look like.
    Form 0 After Buttons are disabled.jpg - shows what happens to Form 0 after the buttons on Form 1 are disabled.

Below is the code I use to disable the buttons on Form 1.

// disable all watering time select buttons other than 5 min
    if(T5Disable_Watering_Buttons == 1 & (Start_Watering == 1 || Start_Watering_Sequence == 1))
    {
    genie.WriteObject(GENIE_OBJ_WINBUTTON, 3, -1); // if the 5min watering button is selected and watering is started then diable the 10 min time button
    genie.WriteObject(GENIE_OBJ_WINBUTTON, 4, -1); // if the 5min watering button is selected and watering is started then diable the 15 min time button
    genie.WriteObject(GENIE_OBJ_WINBUTTON, 5, -1); // if the 5min watering button is selected and watering is started then diable the 20 min time button
    genie.WriteObject(GENIE_OBJ_WINBUTTON, 6, -1); // if the 5min watering button is selected and watering is started then diable the 25 min time button
    genie.WriteObject(GENIE_OBJ_WINBUTTON, 7, -1); // if the 5min watering button is selected and watering is started then diable the 30 min time button
    genie.WriteObject(GENIE_OBJ_WINBUTTON, 8, -1); // if the 5min watering button is selected and watering is started then diable the 35 min time button
    genie.WriteObject(GENIE_OBJ_WINBUTTON, 9, -1); // if the 5min watering button is selected and watering is started then diable the 40 min time button
    genie.WriteObject(GENIE_OBJ_WINBUTTON, 10, -1); // if the 5min watering button is selected and watering is started then diable the 45 min time button
    genie.WriteObject(GENIE_OBJ_WINBUTTON, 11, -1); // if the 5min watering button is selected and watering is started then diable the 50 min time button
    genie.WriteObject(GENIE_OBJ_WINBUTTON, 12, -1); // if the 5min watering button is selected and watering is started then diable the 55 min time button
    genie.WriteObject(GENIE_OBJ_WINBUTTON, 13, -1); // if the 5min watering button is selected and watering is started then diable the 60 min time button
    T5Disable_Watering_Buttons = 0;

If I comment out the above code the issue disappears.
    Attached also is the Visie Genie project.

Does anyone know why this could be occurring?

Attached Files

Hi Rob,

A quick look on the if statement, it seems that you are missing one '&' logical operator there. It should be:
    Code:
    if(T5Disable_Watering_Buttons == 1 && (Start_Watering == 1 || Start_Watering_Sequence == 1))
    To get a better picture of the whole problem, could you please post your complete Arduino source?

Thanks and kind regards,
    Sherwin

Comment

• RobC
      RobC commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Sherwin,
      Thanks for your help.
      I take your point, however the code as I have written it will still work with a single &. This is because I am not performing any arithmetic operations with the integers.
      I am only performing logical operations with the integers and the integers will only ever have a value of "1" or "0", nothing else.
      I tried changing the background colour on Form 0 from grey to black to see if this made a difference. It did not make any difference.
      Attached is the source code.

I did try the code with the double && and i did not make any difference. Still seeing the same effect.

Just to let you know I get around the problem by doing a screen refresh using the following code:
      genie.WriteObject(GENIE_OBJ_FORM, 1, 0); // Force a refresh of Form 0, when the buttons are disabled Form 0 goes patchy in it's appearance
      genie.WriteObject(GENIE_OBJ_FORM, 0, 0); // Force a refresh of Form 0, when the buttons are disabled Form 0 goes patchy in it's appearance
      Last edited by RobC; 1 week ago. Reason: added extra comments about screen refresh

Rather than manually disabling all the other time buttons, why not just put all the time buttons in the same Matrix so that only one can be on at a time? That would eliminate a lot of code for you and would just let the display handle it.

-K

Comment

• RobC
      RobC commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Kad,
      Thanks for your help. I have already setup the buttons in a matrix. What I should have said is that I wanted to not display the buttons after the watering sequence has started.

• kad
      kad commented
      Editing a comment
      Got it.

Arduino source doe attached.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Rob,

I tested your ViSi-Genie project with GTX tool. I found nothing wrong when I disable Winbutton 3 to 13 at Form1 while on Form0.

Looking at the attached Arduino source, the if statement logical condition is not changed to:
      Code:
      // disable all watering time select buttons other than 5 min
      if(T5Disable_Watering_Buttons == 1 && (Start_Watering == 1 || Start_Watering_Sequence == 1))
      Attached is the modified Arduino source.

Kind regards,
      Sherwin
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Sherwin
        I tried your sketch. It does not make any difference, I still see the same effects.
        It's got me beat, so I am just going with the screen refresh solution I mentioned before.

Comment

• sherwin4D
          sherwin4D commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Rob,

Glad you found a workaround. Thanks for the update.

Best regards,
          -Sherwin
      Working...
      X