Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't upload to IOD-09TH with 4D-UPA, tutorials?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pauleilio
    replied
    Hi,

Yes I got it eventually, my PC wasn't allowing it to open until I restarted. Many thanks.

Best regards

Paul

Leave a comment:

• JWardell
    replied
    If you click on it the full size image pops up.

Leave a comment:

• pauleilio
    replied
    Hi,

The image you sent is really small. Do you have a full size image. It may be possible to direct the cooldigits code to read from flash memory. If you prefer you could send your project to me by email to

paul at 4dsystems dot com dot au

Best regards

Paul

Leave a comment:

• JWardell
    replied
    IO 8, 9, and 11 are used for SPI for the display. 10 and 12 are used for I2C. So that leaves only IO16 usable, which I was going to use for a button or 1-wire IO, but I guess I can instead use I2C with an IO expander. Of course any rework would be difficult especially in volume.

I don't really know the layout of components on there, I'm wondering if there happens to coincidently be a PWM capable IO nearby R9 that could easily be used. Though again given the size any rework would be a challenge.

At least I know I could permanently reduce the brightness a bit by replacing R9 with a higher value.

Here's the font image I use. Because of the graphic I'm stuck with white, but if this was drawn by code I could not only lose the SD card but also change color...
    Last edited by JWardell; 8th April 2020, 02:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pauleilio
    replied
    Hi,

It may be possible to do a hardware modifcation by using a spare GPIO that is PWM capable trough a transistor circuit and onto the pad of R9 after it has been removed. The scematic of the gen4-IoD may help with the circuit

https://4dsystems.com.au/mwdownloads...d/link/id/206/

This is the location od R9 on the IoD-09

Click image for larger version

Name:	iodr33.png
Views:	67
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	71695

A single 33R resistor would be used instead of the many 68R resistors.

Could you let me know which GPIO's you have available and I could modify the library to make this feature work for you.

Could you also send me the font or images used for your project and I will see what can be done in internal falsh to replicate what you have already without the SD card

Best regards

Paul

Leave a comment:

• JWardell
    replied
    Thanks. I would be interested to know the hardware mod even if it was warranty-voiding. Is there a datasheet for the display itself that might help? Perhaps I can PWM the backlight pin.

I also still would love to have custom fonts without the need to SD cards, and I think it can be achieved by porting the drawPixel function in adafruit.gfx

Leave a comment:

• pauleilio
    replied
    Hi,

That looks fantastic. Thank you so much for sharing the viseo with us. So glad you managed to get over the i2C issue and get it working as you expected.

Unfortunately the IoD-09 is a fixed brightness so it isn't adjustable without a hardware modification which I don't think is possible but I will check on this.

Best regards

Paul

Leave a comment:

• JWardell
    replied
    I finally got everything put together and running last night, and it looks awesome!
    Is there a command to change the backlight brightness? I would love to be able to reduce it at night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B98eKhhnP3Y

Leave a comment:

• JWardell
    replied
    Scratch that, I found the post to use Wire.begin(2,0); and now it's happier.

Leave a comment:

• JWardell
    replied
    I'm trying to communicate to an I2C device, but I instead get a corrupted display...has anyone seen that before?
    The documentation doesn't seem to mention which of pins 10 and 12 are SDA and SCL, and I worry that the library has not actually properly set up I2C.

I'm attempting to communicate with an Adafruit barograph, which essentially uses the code

Code:
    #include <Wire.h>
    #include <Adafruit_GFX.h>
    #include "Adafruit_LEDBackpack.h"
    Adafruit_24bargraph bar = Adafruit_24bargraph();
    bar.begin(0x70); // pass in the address
    bar.writeDisplay();
    The display corrupts as soon as bar.begin is executed, without any hardware even being connected yet (I sure wish the UPA passed those pins through to something!)

I would expect there to be display issues with SPI not I2C.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0443.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	159.8 KB ID:	71671

Leave a comment:

• pauleilio
    replied
    Hi,

This forum post may help

https://forum.4dsystems.com.au/node/47828

As the IoD is an Arduino device it will be possible to make it do exactly what you need it to. I will give it some thought over the next day or two to see if theres a way around large nice text.

Best regards

Paul

Leave a comment:

• JWardell
    replied
    Excellent, it is all working now, except for the custom digits are sliced wrong no doubt because I need to export those additional characters. I don't think there are examples so can you confirm, do I trail the 0-9 with - and blank?

I don't think the LED routines handle decimals so I assume it is up to me to handle splitting it and drawing a dot.

Thanks again Paul for your very quick and helpful responses!

And if anyone in the community knows what config is needed to get Adafruit or other font-capable GFX library (I don't expect 4D to support that) it would be appreciated.

For the most part my project doesn't need graphics, just "big" numbers full size on this tiny display, perhaps with a few letters (For example as a speed gauge 100mph). The hardware is perfect for what I need, so it's just a matter of me finding the most reasonable software to accomplish this (as well as wifi connection between two controllers).
    I'd still prefer not to use the SD card, so I will still explore custom characters or hacking a different GFX library, but at least now what I have working with customLEDs could be good enough.

Leave a comment:

• pauleilio
    replied
    Hi,

You should be able to do this in Workshop 4 if the coreect Installer version of the Arduino IDE was installed and the Arduino IDE is on the same drive generally in C;\Program Files (x86)\Aduino, could you please let me know if it is any different.

If you click on the Project tab in Workshop 4 you will notice on the very left, an option to turn on -ve and leading blanks for your custom digits. If you still have an issue could you plaes send me the project and I will try it here.

Best regards

Paul

Leave a comment:

• JWardell
    replied
    4D workshop still won't connect when using compile and load, but that's fine, I can switch over to Arduino and load the generated info and upload it there.

I did generate a few custom digits LEDs with full display height fonts, and they work and look great, however:

I get a red X in a red box with negative signed numbers, or when using LeadingBlanks.
    If I enable LeadingZero in 4D workshop, compile generates an error that the project enhancement is not enabled. What does that mean?
    Is there any way for the led numbers to display a decimal point?
    For example, do I just need to export a bitmap with 0 to 9, along with a - and . and a blank?

Leave a comment:

• pauleilio
    replied
    Hi,

Editing the library won't help you. The IoD has a complex text printing routine that takes advantage of the displays hardware scroll whilst in portrait mode. The user character is an option and the height is extendable beyond 32 pixels if there is no wish to use the SD card.

The IoD was designed as an intelligent display that utilizes the SD card for for creating complex graphical projects. The adafruit GFX library isn't SD based but if you don't need to use the SD card then there is no reason why you wouldn't be able to convert their library to run on the IoD.

Paul

Leave a comment:

Working...
X