Compiling support files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compiling support files

I'm hoping this is going to be my last question for a while.

No matter what I do, the support files for the UI are compiled and requested to load to SD every time I compile the application. This occurs whether or not I touch the UI window and irrespective of combination of F9 I use. When I compile, Workshop4 seems to clear the displayed UI and flashes through all the widgets which appear/disappear and then finally all appear before prompting to save to SD.

I can't see any preference/option to recompile the UI every time and the vast majority of the time, all I do is add/tweak code in the text editor portion of the screen.

Is there a way to control this as the UI is complete at that stage and I'm just cycling through code updates, testing various things so I'm sure how they work.

Hi,

This only usually happens if you have made a modification in the Object Inspector or the UI or if you have made an error in the code.

There is a way around it if you are not going to need to change any of your garphics You can do the option of copying the .4dg and .inc files into another folder then open the .4dg file in a designer environment. That way even if there is an error in your code, as you won't be working in Visi there is no way it will update the graphics.

Best regards

Paul

Comment

I'm definitely not changing the object inspector or anything in the UI window. What sort of error in the code could it be?

Comment

Any errors you make in the code will force the re-compile of everything so if you com'n'Load and there is an error then that will be enough.

Just remembered that you were using a 4Duino. The alternative method I showed you above won't work for you and the re-generate of graphics is usually less frequent.

I have just tried a simple project and it only created the graphics once until I made a change and didn't do it when an error was made so not really sure why it is happening for you each time.

SHIFT + F9 will always make the garphics re-generate but comp'n'load should only be if you make a change.

It is possible of carrying on with just the Arduino IDE to finish off the code if the UI is finished.

Comment

That doesn't really make sense to me, sorry I must be misunderstanding something.

Let's say I press "compile and load" and it rebuilds everything, including the support files. Compiles cleanly and uploads ok. Then I make a change to a static string in the code (without touching anything to do with the UI or object inspector), say, change String x = "CC" to String x = "CV" and recompile. The way it is at the moment, everything is recompiled, irrespective of ribbon button press or function key combination. Why would it know that there is an error "this time" if it compiled ok last time? It is literally re-compiling everything, every single time irrespective of what has changed or whether it compiled cleanly last time.

In fact, if I press 'Compile' it will compile everything, then press 'Compile' without changing any thing or moving the mouse at all, it will still compile everything. This is the behaviour whether I press Compile, Compile and Load, or one of the F9 combinations (I would expect shift+F9 to do it of course.)

Comment

Hi,

That doesn't seem to be normal behaviour. I will see if I can find a reason for this. As I said previously, I don't get the same beahviour so very hard to say why it is doing it. You could send your project to me so I can try it here just to see if I get the same behaviour.

Best regards

Paul

Comment

Ok, thanks - what would be the best way of doing that? It zips to 48Kb so not massive! The only thing to add is that I run Workshop4 under parallels.

Comment

If you would prefer, you can send the zip to my email address paul at 4dsystems dot com dot au

Comment

I've just sent a zip file Paul.

Comment

Thank you,

It's looking good. I have tried it and I don't have the same result as you but I will do more testing and update you as soon as possible.

Best regards

Paul

Comment

Thanks. Other things I have tried as I work in a VM and have the project stored on a folder synced with OneDrive and I wondered if it was flagging the file as 'dirty' as it synced. Copied it to a local drive on my Mac (which get shared with the VM); copied it to the Windows VM C: drive (not shared with anything). In all cases, the problem is the same.

Comment

Working...
                      X