Choice of HMI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choice of HMI

We have been trying to select a device for our new OEM equipment. We need a display with touch panel which will be controlled by our 8-bit microprocessor which runs a program in assembler. We like the gen4-uLCD-70DCT-CLB. We have studied all available documents on 4D Systems website. A few questions:
    - The module has SPI interface but only as MASTER, not SLAVE. Which means to me that the only the display can originate transmission, not our controller. How can we write to the display via SPI? Or do we have to use UART?
    - Why do we need to compile and load a program into the display? We want to load the program data from our controller,e.g. to continuously display some data, then read the touch panel into our controller. As far as I can see there should be no need for a flash-based program in the display?
    - For our purpose, should we rather use the serial mode?
    Any answers would be appreciated.

Hello,

Welcome to the forum.

- The module has SPI interface but only as MASTER, not SLAVE. Which means to me that the only the display can originate transmission, not our controller. How can we write to the display via SPI? Or do we have to use UART?
    * The SPI interface of the display can only be used in MASTER mode. Kindly refer to Diablo16 Internal Functions Reference Manual[page 224] to find all SPI control functions. It is better for you to use UART to communicate with the display.

- Why do we need to compile and load a program into the display? We want to load the program data from our controller,e.g. to continuously display some data, then read the touch panel into our controller. As far as I can see there should be no need for a flash-based program in the display?
    * The module can be programmed as a standalone device which you can use in your project. If you do not want to program the display separately and only want to use your controller to initiate commands, you can use the Serial Environment and load the SPE program in the display.

- For our purpose, should we rather use the serial mode?
    * You could use Serial Environment if you prefer. You may use ViSi-Genie Environment to design the interface and generate the graphics needed for your project. We have a serial library written in C which you can use: C Serial Library

Kindly refer to this documentation to find Serial Commands Set of Diablo16-based display modules: DIABLO16 Serial Command Set Reference Manual

I hope these information helps.

Best regards,
    Sherwin

Comment

Working...
    X