Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cant get basic demo to communicate

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • cant get basic demo to communicate

    i just received my GEN4-ULCD-70DT, it came with the basic programming cable not the shield, im trying to do the Arduino host demo using a new ARDUINO 2560
    i have attached my code and display settings and unit wired, please help i cant seem to find the problem. it is a wired connection to the Arduino.
    5volts- red
    ground - black
    Tx - yellow
    Rx - white
    reset - green going through a 1k ohm
    the Arduino is able to successfully reset and unrest the display when powered up but not other communication
    Attached Files
    Last edited by [email protected]; 17 April 2020, 07:37 AM.

  • #2
    I have the same problem. I am using the arduino adapter shield. I can't get the basic demo to work. The program runs on the 70DTC and the arduino sketch uploads OK Changing the slider does not update the gauges or digits.

    Comment


    • #3
      I can see everything working in the 4d workshop debugger.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
        I can see everything working in the 4d workshop debugger.
        same here. based on what GTX is saying my display can send and receive data but when i hook it up to a non-simulated host, nothing.
        Ive tried every display communication setting I can find, just not sure what i missed, maybe the gen4- 70dt series needs a unique communication setting to work
        Last edited by [email protected]; 17 April 2020, 08:17 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Hello,

          Please have a look at this appnote:
          AN-00017 ViSi Genie Connecting a 4D Display to an Arduino Host
          https://4dsystems.com.au/blog/4d-an-00017/

          This sticky post should be helpful if you encounter other issues:
          TROUBLESHOOTING - Common Issues and their resolutions (ARDUINO and 4D Display)

          Hope this helps.

          Kind regards,
          Sherwin

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by sherwin4D View Post
            Hello,

            Please have a look at this appnote:
            AN-00017 ViSi Genie Connecting a 4D Display to an Arduino Host
            https://4dsystems.com.au/blog/4d-an-00017/

            This sticky post should be helpful if you encounter other issues:
            TROUBLESHOOTING - Common Issues and their resolutions (ARDUINO and 4D Display)

            Hope this helps.

            Kind regards,
            Sherwin
            hi, thanks for getting back to me, ive read through the application notes and cant find my problem, in the files attached above i show my screens com settings, are they correct ? both the screen and arduino are set to com 1 but for the display rx and tx are defaulted at PA0 (digital pin 22 ) and PA1 (digital pin 23) which are not the rx1 and tx1 pin outs on the mega. the mega rx1 and tx1 are at pins 18 and 19. i think this is the issue but im not familiar with your system and it doesnt allow you to choose these pins.

            i could just be mixed up from trying so many times

            Comment


            • #7
              I did find that I have to power the 7" gen4 display from a separate power source which made everything much more reliable. The display is running at about 500 mA.
              I am getting some headway. I am able to get the arduino to respond to 4dbutton action. I found that I have to do a manual ReadObject in the loop because the genie event is not always firing.

              I still cannot get any of the widgets to update from the arduino,
              I still cannot get an event from a user led or an led.

              What I am trying to accomplish is having a 4dbutton onChanged event set an led indicating the state of the 4dbutton. then have the user led onChanged Report Message. I do not get any response for the led at the arduino. I do get a response from the 4dbutton at the arduino.
              In the 4D debugger I do not see any indication of the led state onchanged event.

              On another note I am not to happy with the mechanism that holds the micr sd card. While it may be good for a finished product it is already getting sloppy after a few openings while developing. I hope there is a way to update the files on the micro sd without having to remove it from the display.

              Comment


            • #8
              So I am back to square one.I was only able to get one 4dbutton to trigger which seems to be a fluke.

              I have tried different boards mega and uno, I have tried different serial ports on the mega and on the 4d display. I have wired direct and through the arduino adapter shield. I have tried the gen4 ib interface as well as the gen4 pa. I have read all of your articles and I have followed them. I have burnt up a whole day and have gotten nowhere.

              There seems to be a problem with the library. When I am using serial0 on the arduino boards after I upload the sketch I can see the tx led flashing as the program loops through the manual queries as long as the usb cable is connected. As soon as the cable is disconnected the tx led stops flashing. I have verified that it is looping through the queries with a serial.print on another port. If I connect to another serial device and do some simple communications the led flashes when tx'ing. The 4d display is communicating as I have seen the signal with a scope.
              Can you please fix this problem or tell me what I have to do to make the communication work?

              Comment


              • #9
                got it, my code is correct except reset line should be 2 not 4
                wire RX of display to TX1 and tx to RX1, RES to a 1k ohm resistor then to pin digital pin 2, 5v to 5v ,gnd to gnd
                in options of workshop 4 go to genie tab and select 9600 baud com 1 default RX:PA11 TX:PA13
                but in the project select 9600 baud ,runflash, com0 (make sure the com1 say pa11 and pa13 next to them even though your not selecting it)
                compile to uSD with display hooked up via USB adapter to the displays software is updated

                Comment


                • #10
                  Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                  So I am back to square one.I was only able to get one 4dbutton to trigger which seems to be a fluke.

                  I have tried different boards mega and uno, I have tried different serial ports on the mega and on the 4d display. I have wired direct and through the arduino adapter shield. I have tried the gen4 ib interface as well as the gen4 pa. I have read all of your articles and I have followed them. I have burnt up a whole day and have gotten nowhere.

                  There seems to be a problem with the library. When I am using serial0 on the arduino boards after I upload the sketch I can see the tx led flashing as the program loops through the manual queries as long as the usb cable is connected. As soon as the cable is disconnected the tx led stops flashing. I have verified that it is looping through the queries with a serial.print on another port. If I connect to another serial device and do some simple communications the led flashes when tx'ing. The 4d display is communicating as I have seen the signal with a scope.
                  Can you please fix this problem or tell me what I have to do to make the communication work?
                  hope it works for you as well !

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    Hi thank you for the reply. I will give this a try later. How did you figure this out? It is contrary to all of the other information provided by 4d.

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                      Hi thank you for the reply. I will give this a try later. How did you figure this out? It is contrary to all of the other information provided by 4d.
                      It took alot of reading, but basically the gen4 only has 2 com ports available , com0 was already taken for programming and the arduino cant use com0 either because it's paths already being used, this is where I got confused because the notes say they need to communicate on same com line. So i tried to trick the arduino and the display to use different paths but think they're using the same.
                      by changing the genie tab to 1 with pin selection im telling the display that when you use communication, one these pins are where data comes and goes, and then when I select com0 it wants to communicate but secretly its com0 is really a com1 in genie tab making them match kinda

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        As for tx and rx it makes sense when the arduino transmitts you want the display to recieve it so tx to rx rx to tx

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          Well thank you for the information. I am definitely getting communications now. I now have to put everything back in order. Have you tried to use a higher baud rate? I can't seem to get anything but 9600 to work. The communication is awfully slow. Thanks again for helping me sort this out.

                          Also I was able to connect the 4d reset pin directly to the arduino reset pin.
                          Last edited by Frank B; 19 April 2020, 12:13 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #15
                            No matter what baud rate I set the 4d display to it will only work with the baud at 9600 on the arduino.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X