X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pauleilio
    replied
    You're welcome

When it comes to the primary type displays you would need to program the graphics from within the Raspbian operating system using some software that allows you to create programs on the Pi.

The Raspbian package and instructions for the display shows the desktop on the display as if it were on the HDMI display so ne detailed coding needed.

https://4dsystems.com.au/products/pr...-4dpi-70ct-clb

You might find this useful also

https://www.baldengineer.com/raspber...-tutorial.html

Best regards

Paul

Leave a comment:

• Chunky
    replied
    Thanks for the super quick, super useful and super simple reply. 🖕 I can see I'm going to have plenty of fun with this during my remaining 7 weeks (minimum) of lock down.

Just a quick additional query - how would I program the graphics for any of the Pi Primary Display Modules e.g. 4DPI-24-HAT or GEN4-4DPI-70CT-CLB? Does it just act as if it were a connected screen via HDMI or does it need some detailed coding?

Leave a comment:

• pauleilio
    replied
    Hi

Welcome to the forum,

Sounds like you have some very interesting projects planned.

Downloading Workshop 4 is a good way to get used to our displays and familiarize yourself with the different environments available.

When it comes to using a Pi with our displays there are 2 ways this can be done. You can either have a primary display where the desktop of the Pi is displayed on the screen or you can connect any of our displays to the Pi via a serial connection. Using the latter method, you then communicate with the display serially using the Visi-Genie environment which allows you then to create your GUI in workshop and then send and receive serial commands via the Pi.

You may find this application note useful.

https://4dsystems.com.au/blog/4d-an-00186/

We also have a library for the Pi for Visi-Genie which you may find useful.

https://github.com/4dsystems/ViSi-Genie-RaspPi-Library

When WS gives you the option to 'Choose your display' then you can choose a suitably sized display to fit your needs and communicates with the Pi via serial.

I hope this helps

Best regards

Paul

Leave a comment:

• Chunky
    started a topic Total Noob - Please be gentle with a Pi Question

Total Noob - Please be gentle with a Pi Question

Okay, I'm new to this, really new.

I'm doing a bit of Arduino and about to start teaching myself Raspberry Pi for the stuff I need to do that's a bit more complicated. I've got a Pi 4 starter kit and a box full of play toys. It's like I'm 12 all over again. Pretty much everything I'm planning will be domestic control and monitoring stuff - multiple load energy monitoring, HVAC control, remote control actuators, fancy lighting, that sort of thing. That just sets the scene for where to pitch your much anticipated and appreciated replies.

So .......... I've built a multi load energy diverter to handle 10kWp of solar power (Arduino) but now need to add some sophisticated recording and real time display, hence,Pi. For the real time display I happened across the 4D modules and more importantly the Workshop 4 software and it blew my mind. No need to learn yet another coding language, just paint it all on screen. Touchscreen capability too, I'm in heaven. I can see me using a lot of these, all the way from little ones up to 7".

However, in the software when I go to "CHOOSE YOUR PRODUCT" I can't find anything in the list, big or small where the software works with a Pi-connectable display. That's with or without the GEN4-4DPI-ADAPTOR. There's loads of DIABLO16, PIXXI44, PICASO and other stuff that I don't yet understand but nothing Pi.

Does anyone have a list of which of the 4D display boards I can interface and built display projects for? Any Pi-specific adapters needed?

Also, any advice on what I should try first or what to avoid because it's just going to fry my noob brain cells.?

Many thanks, Chunky.
Working...
X