Serial Port Confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serial Port Confusion

Here's a simple question. On the little serial interface board, the pin next to the +5 is marked RX and the third pin is marked TX. Does this mean that RX is the receiver, which means I hook it to my microcontroller's Transmit pin, OR does RX mean I hook it to my Receive pin? Likewise for TX. I'm looking back over a project I did a couple years ago, and it seemed like I had RX to rx and TX to tx, but I'd like to get a definitive answer! This could save a lot of heartache for a lot of people.

Thanks,

Chuck

Hi Chuck.

Can you tell us what is the serial interface board that you are using?

If you are using 4D-UPA, the label RX0 should be connected to RX of the host controller and the TX0 should be connected to the TX of the host controller because these pins are internally swapped to program uLCD and uOLED display modules.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Ferdinand

Comment

Hi Ferdinand,

I'm not sure what you mean by "4D-UPA" but I'm using the little board that comes with the GEN4-ULCD-32PT that converts the flat cable to a 5 pin output.. It says GEN4 Interface on it.

Thanks,

Chuck

Comment

Hi Chuck,

Good Day.

Since you are using gen4-Interface Board then TX should be connected to the RX of the host microcontroller and RX should be connected to the TX of the host microcontroller.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
        Ferdinand

Comment

OK, here's one point of confusion. Looking at the little interface board attached to the display, the pin next to the +5 volts is marked TX. However, on the cable that plugs into it and attaches to the USB-serial converter, the pin next to the +5 is labeled RX. These markings are apparently correct at the USB Converter end but should be opposite at the display end. Anyway, I THINK I have it correct now and it should work....

Comment

Hi Chuck,

Good Day.

On the 5-way cable connector which has the label, RX is next to +5 means that this should be connected to the host controller/programmer RX pin and the TX on the 5-way cable connector should be connected to host controller/programmer TX pin.

Please check the table below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Serial.PNG
Views:	36
Size:	2.9 KB
ID:	72198

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
            Ferdinand

Comment

Working...
            X