Older device not recognised

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Older device not recognised

I have two older Picaso displays. Photos attached. I also have a uusb-mb5 adaptor. I did some development when I bought them, but then went on to other things.

Now I have a project where I would like to use these.

I downloaded and installed the latest Workshop4.

Unfortunately, when I connect them to Workshop4, both come up with "Unrecognised Device".

Edit: The blue light displays so the devices are communicating.

I have two questions:

a. What is the product number? I believe they are a 2.4" display.

b. Are these still supported? If so, with what?

Regds,
    David
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200602_134055_copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	379.5 KB ID:	72182Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200602_134116_copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	656.0 KB ID:	72183
    Last edited by doggy1; 2 June 2020, 01:59 PM. Reason: Update

They sure are old.

In the comms tab in Workshop what does it say the display is?

Regardless it looks like it's, somehow, running gfx1, which was before gfx2, which was, ages ago, renamed GFX, well you can see the 2007 on the PCB.

Not sure if we will be able to get it working, but the info requested above will help
    Mark

Comment

The comms tab is where it comes up with the "Unrecognised Device". So no info there. I also tried the Picaso serial commander and that just times out.
      Regds,
      Dave

Comment

I believe the model to be a uLCD-320-PMD2, so 3.2"

Unfortunately the screen 'driver' has been superseded and thus none of the current PmmCs will work with it.
        Mark

Comment

Oh dear, that is rather unfortunate. A distinct lack of backwards compatibility. Are older versions of software still available? The screen is definitely not 3.2. 66mm diagonal usable and 70mm external diagonal. Edit- aha- I realise the 320 is pixels not 3.2inches and I believe you are correct about the model./edit

I put a logic analyser (onto both units). Here's what I found. It seems strange that even such basic things have changed so that device number requests are not recognised:

1. Reset from WS4. Reset pulse is 185usecs then get 0xFE from display followed 70msecs later by 0xFF from display. Nil response from WS4.

2. Issue scan from Comms tab. WS4 sends 0xFF. Display responds with 0xFF. WS4 sends second 0xFF and receives 0xFC from display. WS4 sends further 0xFF and nil response from display.

3. Serial commander. Get model, WS4 sends NULL then 0x1A, Nil response from display.

4. Get Pmmc WS4 sends NULL 0x1C. Nil response from display.

5. Get version, WS4 sends NULL 0x1B. Nil response from Display.

Regds,
          Dave
          Last edited by doggy1; 2 June 2020, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Not sure how many things are backwards compatible with anything 13 years old.

You could try checking that comms stuff again at 115200 baud.

The display does not appear to be running serial as the OK> is not produced by Serial. Regardless the Serial protocol is completely different now to what it was then, both enhanced and improved, there were a lot of limitations in the 2007 code.

Similarly GFX as it is now is completely different to what was around in 2007
            Mark

Comment

I bought them from you in 2009. But I agree that it was indeed a fair while ago (11yrs).
              The device is communicating at 9600.
              I dug out the old Pmmc loader and files and was able to program them okay with an oldish PmmC. I also have the old serial programming manual. But I'm not sure if I have the serial software, Otherwise I could have still made some use of them.
              Most organisations that do not preserve compatibility at least make the old software available to people who spent their money with that organisation so that the devices can still be used.
              Regds,
              Dave

Comment

But what old software, there was no serial demo software, it was just the manual and your programming.

If you really want the old Workshop for the old GFX_1, I should be able to find that, but I'd reckon it would be more hindrance than help
                Mark

Comment

Thanks for the offer.
                  However, upon reflection, I'll throw them in the recycling and get something else.
                  Regards,
                  Dave

Comment

Hi, change of mind!
                    I dug out my 10 year old backups and have PmmC files plus the original alpha and beta software. They do not work on Windows 10 but I have installed them on an old WinXP copy and they are actually working fine. The trick with the serial module is to issue a 0x55 which triggers auto baud detect and thereafter it works fine. The latest PmmC loader works fine. The latest serial terminal also works fine as long as you issue 0x55 up front.

If you have any later files than the following I would appreciate being able to get them as I WILL now be using these LCD modules. Not for anything fancy but to replace a couple of old monochrome 4*16 displays.

Module is (as you said) uLCD-320-PMD2
                    When I query it, I get hardware revision 10, SW revision 18, PmmC rev 8.

I have the following two PmmC files. Should you have anything later it would be much appreciated. But if not, things should still be okay:

uLCD-320-PMD2-rev1-08.PmmC
                    uLCD-320-PMD2.uSD-Serial_rev9.pmmc

Best Regds,
                    Dave

Comment

They are definitely the latest PmmC files.

Other than the different Serial commands, and the differences between GFX1 and the newer GFX, the main issue you will have is accessing the uSD cards.

You will only be able to use 'original' SD cards, commonly now referred to as SDSC. SDHC cards will not work.

Also, you will probably have some issues with certain manufacturer's SDSC cards. they wont 'init'.
                      Mark

Comment

Hi, thanks very much for that. I have a couple of uSD cards purchased with the modules so that should be okay.
                        Best Regards and Thanks,
                        Dave

Comment

Working...
                        X