Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing to SD Card

Hi,
    Sorry if this seems like a stupid topic but I am trying to program a link between my arduino and the 4d systems Display and my arduino. I need to setup a counter that will be saved when the device is powered off.
    I have read about using genie_magic which seems to make sense as I am currently using visie genie as the display program method. What I am trying to find out is, is there an easy way to set this up? Also do I need to buy a pro license to communicate with the SD card from my arduino?
    What exactly changes when I buy a pro license? Is there a different license on the geniearduino.h library or is something activated in the 4dSystems workshop?
    If I use the PRO trial first to set this up, will it be deactivated after 7 days on the screen?

Thanks and Regards,
    William

Hello William,

What I am trying to find out is, is there an easy way to set this up?
    Please refer to AN-00161 ViSi-Genie Magic How to Read a File on how to set this up:
    https://4dsystems.com.au/blog/4d-an-00161/

Also do I need to buy a pro license to communicate with the SD card from my arduino?
    As you have mentioned, you may try to activate PRO trial first to set this up. The code in the screen will not be disabled once trial is over so you should be able to keep the added feature indefinitely once you have it implemented. But keep in mind that you will no longer be able to open and modify the code attached in your ViSi-Genie project once the trial expires. Follow this link if you need to grab PRO License for Workshop4 IDE: https://4dsystems.com.au/products/so...kshop4-ide-pro

What exactly changes when I buy a pro license? Is there a different license on the geniearduino.h library or is something activated in the 4dSystems workshop?
    Features which are available only if you have PRO License will be activated. To enumerate a few, you will get access to Smart Widgets Editor, and Genie Magic which grants the ability to add standard 4DGL code at various points in the Genie environment. More information can be gleaned from page 39 of ViSi-Genie User Reference Manual.

I hope this answers your queries adequately.

Kind regards,
    Sherwin
    Last edited by sherwin4D; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Hey Sherwin,

Thanks for the advice. What I am looking to find out now is, Do I need to activate anything on the actual program to get this to work or do I just need to purchase the license?
      I have a project created already and I am just trying to enable the ability to save the counter and read back & display the counter when I restart the device. I am using an arduino as the host, I assume that the 4DGL code can be used on the arduino? Similar to WRITE_MAGIC_BYTES?

Regards,
      William

Comment

Hello William,

I would highly suggest purchasing the Pro license as there's a good chance that you'll need to use it again in the long run. 4DGL is the programming language used by our display modules, and so, you can't use it for Arduino. Please refer to 4DGL Programmer's Reference Manual for more information.

WRITE_MAGIC_BYTES is just one of the commands in the ViSi-Genie Library that you could utilize once you have the Pro license. Please see page 45 of ViSi-Genie User Reference Manual for the complete list and page 51 for the detailed explanation of ViSi-Genie Communications Protocols.

Thank you and best regards,
        Sherwin

Comment

Hi Sherwin,

One Last question here. Can I transfer the license from one PC to another when I do buy it. I plan on upgrading my laptop in the future and there is no point in buying this if I will lose it then?

Thank you and Regards,
          William

Comment

Hi William

Yes, you just contact our sales department from the contact tab on the 4D Systems website, and provide your email address, and the Serial number/password combination you were issued with when you buy it, along with the new Serial number you will get when you install Workshop4 on to your next computer. It can then be transferred over no problem.
            James

Comment

Hi James,

I am trying to purchase the PRO license but the site, when I enter card details or paypal details, will not allow me to purchase the license.
              Is there a bug here or is it an issue that I am trying to purchase from Ireland?

Regards,
              William

Comment

• James_4DSystems
                James_4DSystems commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi William,
                I am not aware of any issues, but I have informed the sales team. Maybe best you contact them directly from the Contact page on the website, and they might be able to do something manually for you, if you continue to have issues with the website. If there is a website issue, it will be fixed ASAP.
                Sorry for the trouble.
                Regards
            Working...
            X