X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GEN4-IoD-32T not responding in Workshop 4

Hi,

I am using a GEN4-IoD-32T connected through the UPA to my Windows 10 PC. I have redownloaded the latest version of the Arduino IDE, Workshop and installed the ESP8266 community core. When using Workshop 4 I am unable to get the display to connect on the Comms tab. Device manager shows the device, and the Silicon Labs driver is up to date. I previously programmed the GEN4-IoD-32T using the arduino IDE, I just can't seem to use Workshop 4. I am sending and receiving fine using Terminal 9600 and the Arduino IDE serial monitor.

I am not sure what I am missing. Is there something I should try?

Hello,

Welcome to the forum.

Under Comms tab, please try to set Arduino Comms to the port as shown in your Device manager. For reference, here is mine:

Click image for larger version  Name:	depp.PNG Views:	1 Size:	42.1 KB ID:	72528

Could you please let us know which version of esp8266 board is installed in your Arduino IDE?

If it is alright, could you please post your project code here? You may also post the error log for comparison.

Thanks and regards,
    Sherwin
    Attached Files

Comment

Thank you!

I have the ESP8266 Boards (2.7.1) installed in the IDE and my Arduino Comm matches:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Arduino Comms.png
Views:	50
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	72533

I'm just trying to upload a hello world sketch but I haven't been able to upload anything at the moment. Here is the code:
      #include "ESP8266WiFi.h"
      #include "GFX4d.h"

GFX4d gfx = GFX4d();

void setup()
      {
      gfx.begin();
      gfx.Cls();
      gfx.ScrollEnable(false);
      gfx.BacklightOn(true);
      gfx.Orientation(PORTRAIT);
      gfx.SmoothScrollSpeed(5);
      gfx.TextColor(WHITE, BLACK); gfx.Font(2); gfx.TextSize(1);
      gfx.print("Hello World");
      } // end Setup **do not alter, remove or duplicate this line**

void loop()
      {
      // put your main code here, to run repeatedly:
      yield(); // Required for ESP
      }
      If it helps, this is from the logs when I attempt Comp & Load:
      Verifying...
      2020-07-03T13:28:42.874Z INFO c.a.u.n.HttpConnectionManager:153 [cc.arduino.packages.discoverers.serial.SerialDiscovery] Connect to https://builder.arduino.cc/builder/v.../0x10C4/0xEA60, method=GET, request id=4CF9FA4B72CA4381
      2020-07-03T13:28:43.151Z INFO c.a.u.n.HttpConnectionManager:157 [cc.arduino.packages.discoverers.serial.SerialDiscovery] Request complete URL="https://builder.arduino.cc/builder/v1/boards/0x10C4/0xEA60", method=GET, response code=404, request id=4CF9FA4B72CA4381, headers={null=[HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found], Cache-Control=[no-cache, no-store, must-revalidate], Server=[nginx], Connection=[keep-alive], Vary=[Origin], Pragma=[no-cache], Expires=[0], Content-Length=[0], Date=[Fri, 03 Jul 2020 13:28:43 GMT]}
      2020-07-03T13:28:43.161Z WARN p.a.h.BoardCloudResolver:64 [cc.arduino.packages.discoverers.serial.SerialDiscovery] Fail to get the Vid Pid information from the builder response code=404
      C:\Users\epp_d\Documents\Arduino\libraries\GFX4d\src\GFX4d.cpp: In member function 'void GFX4d::begin()':
      C:\Users\epp_d\Documents\Arduino\libraries\GFX4d\src\GFX4d.cpp:269:28: error: no matching function for call to 'SDClass::begin(int8_t&, int)'
      if(SD.begin(_sd, 80000000)){
      ^
      C:\Users\epp_d\Documents\Arduino\libraries\GFX4d\src\GFX4d.cpp:269:28: note: candidate is:
      In file included from C:\Users\epp_d\Documents\Arduino\libraries\GFX4d\src\GFX4d.h:184:0,
      from C:\Users\epp_d\Documents\Arduino\libraries\GFX4d\src\GFX4d.cpp:178:
      C:\Users\epp_d\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\2.7.1\libraries\SD\src/SD.h:35:13: note: boolean SDClass::begin(uint8_t, SPISettings)
      boolean begin(uint8_t csPin, SPISettings cfg = SPI_HALF_SPEED) {
      ^
      C:\Users\epp_d\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\2.7.1\libraries\SD\src/SD.h:35:13: note: no known conversion for argument 2 from 'int' to 'SPISettings'
      Multiple libraries were found for "SD.h"
      Used: C:\Users\epp_d\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\2.7.1\libraries\SD
      Not used: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\SD
      exit status 1
      DEBUG StatusLogger Stopping LoggerContext[name=1e6f5c3, [email protected]]
      DEBUG StatusLogger Stopping LoggerContext[name=1e6f5c3, [email protected]]...
      TRACE StatusLogger Unregistering 1 MBeans: [org.apache.logging.log4j2:type=1e6f5c3]
      TRACE StatusLogger Unregistering 1 MBeans: [org.apache.logging.log4j2:type=1e6f5c3,component=StatusLogger]
      TRACE StatusLogger Unregistering 1 MBeans: [org.apache.logging.log4j2:type=1e6f5c3,component=ContextSelector]
      TRACE StatusLogger Unregistering 1 MBeans: [org.apache.logging.log4j2:type=1e6f5c3,component=Loggers,name=]
      TRACE StatusLogger Unregistering 2 MBeans: [org.apache.logging.log4j2:type=1e6f5c3,component=Appenders,name=RollingFile, org.apache.logging.log4j2:type=1e6f5c3,component=Appenders,name=Console]
      TRACE StatusLogger Unregistering but no MBeans found matching 'org.apache.logging.log4j2:type=1e6f5c3,component=AsyncAppenders,name=*'
      TRACE StatusLogger Unregistering but no MBeans found matching 'org.apache.logging.log4j2:type=1e6f5c3,component=AsyncLoggerRingBuffer'
      TRACE StatusLogger Unregistering but no MBeans found matching 'org.apache.logging.log4j2:type=1e6f5c3,component=Loggers,name=*,subtype=RingBuffer'
      TRACE StatusLogger Stopping XmlConfiguration[location=jar:file:/C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Arduino/lib/pde.jar!/log4j2.xml]...
      TRACE StatusLogger XmlConfiguration notified 2 ReliabilityStrategies that config will be stopped.
      TRACE StatusLogger XmlConfiguration stopping 1 LoggerConfigs.
      TRACE StatusLogger XmlConfiguration stopping root LoggerConfig.
      TRACE StatusLogger XmlConfiguration notifying ReliabilityStrategies that appenders will be stopped.
      TRACE StatusLogger XmlConfiguration stopping remaining Appenders.
      DEBUG StatusLogger Shutting down RollingFileManager C:\Users\epp_d\AppData\Local\Arduino15/logs/application.log
      DEBUG StatusLogger Shutting down RollingFileManager C:\Users\epp_d\AppData\Local\Arduino15/logs/application.log
      DEBUG StatusLogger All asynchronous threads have terminated
      DEBUG StatusLogger RollingFileManager shutdown completed with status true
      DEBUG StatusLogger Shut down RollingFileManager C:\Users\epp_d\AppData\Local\Arduino15/logs/application.log, all resources released: true
      DEBUG StatusLogger Appender RollingFile stopped with status true
      DEBUG StatusLogger Shutting down OutputStreamManager SYSTEM_ERR.false.false
      DEBUG StatusLogger Shut down OutputStreamManager SYSTEM_ERR.false.false, all resources released: true
      DEBUG StatusLogger Appender Console stopped with status true
      TRACE StatusLogger XmlConfiguration stopped 2 remaining Appenders.
      TRACE StatusLogger XmlConfiguration cleaning Appenders from 2 LoggerConfigs.
      DEBUG StatusLogger Stopped XmlConfiguration[location=jar:file:/C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Arduino/lib/pde.jar!/log4j2.xml] OK
      DEBUG StatusLogger Stopped LoggerContext[name=1e6f5c3, [email protected]] with status true
      Completed RC=1
      I think the SD library error was causing me trouble in the past as well.

Regards,
      ​​​​​​​Daniel

Comment

Thank you for looking into this. I installed a different version of the GFX4D library and I am now able to upload without issue.

Regards,

Daniel

Comment

• sherwin4D
          sherwin4D commented
          Editing a comment
          Glad this has been resolved.

Thank you for the update.

Kindest regards,
          Sherwin

Hi Daniel,

I am having the same issue.

Would you mind uploading or pointing me in the direction of the GFX4D library used?

Thanks,

Jack

Comment

Hi Jack

Welcome to the forum,

Sorry you are having the same problem. We are working on a version that will know the difference between cores being used but in the meantime could you please use this library.

Best regards

Paul
          Attached Files

Comment

• Carolan_Jack
            Carolan_Jack commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Paul,

I am now using this library but still having problems communicating in workshop 4.

I can programme the device fine with Arduino IDE.

What do you suggest?

Regards,

Jack

Hi Jack,

Because Workshop 4 can program many display types, it sometimes seems that an Arduino powered device can't be detected. When you select the com port in Workshop 4 which will be the same com port you use in the Arduino IDE, Workshop doesn't check for the Arduino device being present and will show a message to say 'Device is not responding'

This is normal when using the IoD as Workshop uses the Arduino IDE to compile and upload and the presence of the display is only checked by the Arduino IDE when uploading.

I hope this helps

Paul

Comment

Hi Paul,

I am still having some problems communicating when using Workshop 4. I am using the Gen4-IoD-28T display only connected with the programmer supplied by 4D.

Below is the error message I receive when trying to compile and load. As I mentioned, I can open the Arduino IDE and load the same code with no problems. I have been through all steps of setup already and added GFX4D library and support for ESP8266 board to arduino IDE.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	44
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	72610

Is this something that you have seen before and know a fix?

Thanks again,

Jack

Comment

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the information.

Sometimes the Arduino IDE can take a long to to compile for the ESP8266 and Workshop will timeout awaiting a response. I have attached a registry key that will extend the timeout in Workshop. Just extract it and the double click the file and it will install automatically.

I hope this helps

Best regards

Paul

Attached Files

Comment

Just to add to the above. It may be necessary for Workshop to be restarted for it to take effect.

Best regards

Paul

Comment

Hi Paul,

Unfortunately, still no joy! It does appear to take a considerable amount of time for the Arduino IDE to compile.

Comment

Hi Jack,

Sorry to hear that.

Is your Arduino IDE installed in it's default location ie C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino ? I am guessing it is as I can see some text above the red error message in the image you sent.

Comment

Hi Paul,

Yes the installation is in the default location. Is there any information I can send that would help you diagnose the problem?

Thanks,
                      Jack

Comment

Yes the output window at the bottom above the red error message will help, Thanks Jack

Comment

Hi Paul,

Quick update, it seems that I have resolved the issue by changing the board in the Arduino IDE from "Generic ESP8266 Module" to "4D Systems gen4 IoD Range". Not 100% sure if this is related but it is the only change I have made and everything seems to work now.

Workshop4 now successfully compiles and loads despite still showing "Arduino IDE not responding error" briefly.

Thanks for your help.

kind regards,
                          Jack

Comment

Working...
                          X